PDA

View Full Version : Server not connecting

Wizzard005
08-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Hello,

I am running windows XP Pro, When I start the server and run EQ, it just says , Windows for connection. I have the lastest offsets installed. Did I miss something? MySEQ did work before. Please let me know if anyone can help :)

-Wizz

Blind Aviator
08-31-2003, 08:05 PM
If it only says "Waiting for connection" when you hit go on client it usually means the client cannot find the server...

Check the IP of server machine (command prompt "ipconfig"), IP setting in client (make sure they match) and the port setting on client (should be 5555)...

BA

Wizzard005
08-31-2003, 09:30 PM
no, the server part, the client opens fine, if I start the server , it just says waiting for connection, ie it cant find the offset. I did download the newest ones.....

Blind Aviator
09-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Sometimes if the offsets are incorrect the client will crash when you hit the big GO button (on the client).... Even if that were to happen you would still see a connect in the server window (I have had that happen many times here in the past)....

As I typed this I modified the myseqserver.ini file and tested it.... I changed all of the offsets to random numbers & connected with the client... The client didn't crash but I did see a connection message in the server window... Then I opened the INI file again and deleted everything in it (empty INI file) and it still showed a connection in the server window....

If the server sits there saying "waiting for connection" then it is doing just that, waiting for the client to connect to it....

Since the server sees no connection attempts at all from the client then there are only a few things that could be the problem:
IP in client is set wrong
Port in client is set wrong
Network problems (IE bad cable, bad router)

If you have not messed with the network cabling and or router/hub then you can likely rule those out.... Most times when a cable or router/hub goes bad it will work sporadically for a short time before it goes alltogether...

Make 100% sure the IP of the server machine & the IP setting in the client is the same and make sure the port is set to 5555...
Once you have made sure those are set properly then you can rule out those as potential problems and move on to something else...

Don't just assume the current IP in the client is still the "right one" for the server... Bring up the command prompt on the server machine & type in "ipconfig" to make 100% sure the IP of that computer hasn't changed (ipconfig is for Win XP and NT, for Win 9X you have to use winipcfg)....

Once you have checked all that then you can move onto something else as the issue....

Let me know if this helps any...

BA

z26o
09-01-2003, 10:10 AM
And don't forget to press the "GO" button on the client.

Sometimes it's the little things that get ya! :)

Z

Blind Aviator
09-01-2003, 06:59 PM
In your posting under the News section you stated that you reinstalled Windows XP... Did you remember to reinstall the .NET framework as well ???

.NET framework is required for the program to run properly...

BTW reinstalling Windows will not normally help fix problems with MyShowEQ as it is a stand alone program (no "install" is done with registry hooks or drivers)...

FaustReality
09-07-2003, 03:05 PM
I have disabled my Norton Firewall and Main program, to no avail. The reason I mention this is because neither computer can ping the other.

They can both see the gateway (same gateway for both) but, that is it. I changed them from the switch to a hub, also to no avail. Is it possible that Comcast in an effort to cut down on hacks....

I have many trace IP tools that I use to ping/lookup etc. and neither will "see" the other computer. But since it has worked before and the only difference was it stopped after the new offset and after I upgraded to 2K3 Norton and yet disabled N2K on both boxes, I am ruling out a .Net issue.

Lastly, I can connect via "My Network Places" or a Command Line to a share. TCP/NetBios/IPX-SPX enabled with no filtering options enabled.

Comments/Suggestions?

FR

Blind Aviator
09-07-2003, 06:57 PM
First thing you should do (of course) is make sure the IP in the client options is pointing at the server machine and the port is set to 5555 (just so that you can say later that you are 100% sure that is not the issue as you have checked them to be correct)...

But since it has worked before and the only difference was it stopped after the new offset and after I upgraded to 2K3 Norton and yet disabled N2K on both boxes

Since we know the offsets are working this statement would lead me to believe Norton was the issue...

I have used a lot of Norton products for many, many years and I have found 1 thing to be true: 99% of the time "disabling" the program means absolutely nothing.... Norton ingrains it's self so deeply into the system that hitting Disable buttons really does nothing.... It always has some daemon running somewhere that causes problems...

If it were me I would restore the computer to a state before the Norton install (assuming you are running XP here)... Either that or uninstall all Norton products & then edit the registry to find and delete all Norton entries (assuming again all Norton products are removed)...

After that if you still have the same problems then it is very likely you can rule out Norton as the cause.... (Am willing to be it IS the cause tho) ;-P

Lastly, I can connect via "My Network Places" or a Command Line to a share. TCP/NetBios/IPX-SPX enabled with no filtering options enabled.

That tells me the network is working fine (hub/router, cables, NIC cards)

Would bet you 99.9% it is software related issue....

DennisEQ
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
I am having the exact same problem.

I downlaoded a little web server, and it worked fine, but for some reason the myseq client on one computer will not at all see the myseq server on the other.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong. My IP addresses are obviously right though, as it is working fine when I use a webserver.

It works fine running on the background of one computer, but as soon as I try to use a 2nd one it fails to work.

DennisEQ
09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Okay, I've narrowed it down to a problem with the computer my client is running on.

It is not the client software or the configuration of that software, because with the exact same configuration (just copy-pasted the whole client's directory) the client worked fine on a third computer hooked up to our network.

Maybe I need to run Windows update or something. This is a fairly old version of XP that hasn't been run in quite a while.