PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial ShowEQ HOWTO and FAQ

monkey679
01-23-2002, 11:33 PM
In order to reduce the amount of useless spam threads, I will just use one. Below are the URLs to some things you might find useful that I have written in order to facilitate your installation of ShowEQ onto RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1. Also below is a FAQ which you might find useful if you read before posting. It may answer the question you are about to ask. This thread should also be used to discuss questions, suggestions or issues with the HOWTOs or FAQ. It will keep it all in one place and hopefully make it easier for me to update, fix and alter. It will also avoid cluttering up the original threads with useless posts and ensure that you only have to read the one post to get all the info you need. Thanks to casey for making me realize that 6 threads on this board were actually a huge waste, it just never occured to me to make one.

FAQ [unofficial]: ShowEQ Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=274)
HOWTO: Installing ShowEQ on Mandrake 8.1 Clean Install (http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=275)
HOWTO: Installing ShowEQ on RedHat 7.2 Clean Install (http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=276)

When posting to this thread, please try and mention what you are commenting, questioning or suggesting on. Otherwise, i will have to use my psychic powers and guess which one you think is inaccurate/needs updating/was really good.

casey
01-24-2002, 02:40 PM
why dont you keep your announcement thread and discussion thread and this useless spam post announcing bothof them in the same forum?

that will save you this post, and not clutter of this board with the requirement of clicking over to another board to read the topic at hand.

anon2
01-25-2002, 11:49 AM
There is a typo in step 5 of the Mandrake and RedHat install.

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq.conf
pico -w /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

should be:
cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

You forgot the showeq directory in your target directory.

Otherwise a great job I think.

fryfrog
01-26-2002, 11:40 PM
i'll fix that momentarily :)

fryfrog
01-27-2002, 03:48 PM
okay, i corrected that mistake :) the one thing i'm not totally sure of is which of the rpms are required and which aren't. if anyone can confirm for sure that one isn't required, i'll remove it from the list.

Cyclone_T
01-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Sorry, this is kinda lame..but inyour guide it says to enter the IP address after ./showeq

Well, I tried using the IP address of the computer that EQ runs off of and it says it couldnt be found? Is that the right one, or is it supposed to be the IP address of the EQ Servers *Like from the eqhosts.txt file*

Thx! Sorry just wanted to clear that up

fryfrog
01-28-2002, 04:08 PM
it should be the ip address of the computer you are playing everquest from. i run my showeq like this

cd /usr/local/bin/
./showeq -i eth0 10.0.0.10

i'll go back and make sure that portion is correct also :)

fryfrog
01-28-2002, 04:13 PM
there, i updated it a tad so that particular point should be clearer. hope that helps you out :)

lewtWh0re
01-28-2002, 07:19 PM
When i get to this part

export CC=gcc3 ; export CXX=g++3 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

all i get is
Make: Makefile.dist: No such file or directory
make: ***No rule to make target 'makefile.dist'. Stop

whats wrong?

lewtWh0re
01-28-2002, 07:22 PM
I'm stupid ignore that post lol

i got it

fryfrog
01-29-2002, 02:27 PM
did you just forget to "cd showeq"? i probably need to add that if it isn't there. :)

fryfrog
01-29-2002, 02:31 PM
there, i added a few "cd /root/showeq" lines at appropriate places. thanks for pointing out that those were missing. while they may be obvious to some (obviously to me, cause i forgot to mention them) they certainly aren't to others. and the point is to help everyone get it working :)

please, i know its lame but if you like it i'd LOVE a yes vote, and if you don't a no vote will tell me i need to work on it some more :)

monkey679
01-29-2002, 11:37 PM
i updated the filters_mapfile.conf link to blue adepts new mirror, which appears to be MUCH faster :)

Aurelius
01-30-2002, 02:34 AM
I am following the guide for the Mandrake 8.1 and have run into a difficulty at the 2b point. I have completed the editing of the g++ and gcc as listed. Although I tried to pico but pico was a bash error of not being found so I just advanced editor'd it. When I try to compile, I receive the following:

[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]# ./configure -thread

This is the Qt Free Edition.

You are licensed to use this software under the terms of either
the Q Public License (QPL) or the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Type 'Q' to view the Q Public License.
Type 'G' to view the GNU General Public License.
Type 'yes' to accept this license offer.
Type 'no' to decline this license offer.

Do you accept the terms of the license?
yes

This target is using the GNU C++ compiler (linux-g++).

Recent versions of this compiler automatically include
code for exceptions, which increase both the size of
the Qt library and the amount of memory taken by your
applications.

You may elect to re-run ./configure with the -no-g++-exceptions
option to compile Qt without exceptions. This is
completely binary compatible, and existing
applications will continue to work (like KDE 2).

Build type: linux-g++-shared

Thread support..................... yes
GIF support........................ no
MNG support........................ no
JPEG support....................... no
OpenGL support .................... yes
NAS sound support.................. no
Session management................. yes
Xft support (Anti-Aliased Fonts) .. yes
XKB support ....................... yes

Creating makefiles...
Qt is now configured for building. Just run make.
To reconfigure, run make clean and configure.

[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]# make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
cd src/moc; make
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
g++-3.0.1 -c -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -I../../include -I../tools -I. -o mocgen.o mocgen.cpp
make[2]: g++-3.0.1: Command not found
make[2]: *** [mocgen.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
make[1]: *** [src-moc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
make: *** [init] Error 2
[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]#

As you may have deduced, I am not programmer literate but I am trying to learn. What would you suggest?
Thanks for your time.

fryfrog
01-30-2002, 03:34 AM

that line seems to suggest that you just don't have the gcc-3.0.1 rpms installed. there are both gcc and gcc-3.0.1 rpms that need to be installed, make sure that both are present.

rpm -qa | grep gcc
rpm -qa | grep 3.0

are a good way to look for them.
this is the result of running the "rpm -qa | grep gcc" on my system. note the presence of both "gcc3.0-" rpms and "gcc-" rpms.

gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.62mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.62mdk
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-colorgcc-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-2.96-0.62mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-doc-3.0.1-1mdk

Aurelius
01-31-2002, 06:10 AM
Many many thanx for the assist. This install is a lot more complicated that the simpler Adenine install. Prior to this version i only had to install the pcap stuff. A lot more for this version. Thanx for the patience and the write up.

fryfrog
02-01-2002, 08:31 PM
yeah, this version of showeq is a lot harder to get going, but once you have done it once or twice you will start to realize that it isn't actually that much harder :)

plat
02-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Aurelius how did you fix your problem? i'm geting the same thing :(

KSti
02-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Following the Mandrake 8.1 guide and learning a lot. Everything's fine until I get to the SEQ compile:

export CC=gcc-3.0.1 ; export CXX=g++-3.0.1 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure

./ configure returns:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking for supported compiler version... no
checking for gcc-3.0... no
checking for gcc3... no
checking for g++-3.0... no
checking for g++3... no
checking alternate compiler for supported compiler version... no
configure: error: You need at least GCC G++ 3.0 or greater to compile ShowEQ

I installed the gcc3 RPMs, and they worked when I compiled QT. Anyone know what's happening here? =)

edit: rpm -qa | grep gcc returns:

gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.62mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.62mdk
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-2.96-0.62mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.1-1mdk

which is missing:
gcc3.0-doc-3.0.1-1mdk

from the list in the above post.

Edit again: QT is compiled with -threads enabled and using g++-3.0.1

Aurelius
02-04-2002, 12:03 AM
I went back and did the walk thru, exactly as it is written. I didn't vary any single step. As a matter of fact, I reinstalled 8.1 just so I wouldn't miss it. I loaded up all the development files and I still had to install the dbmslib files. This error came durring the actual ./configure process. Do the walk thru step for step, even if you don't think you need to. That is all I did. It is more detailed and convoluted that the Adenine walk thru but then again, that one doesn't work anymore )).
Good luck.

fryfrog
02-04-2002, 03:26 AM
try doing "which gcc-3.0.1" and seeing if that exists, also "which g++-3.0.1". this should return the path of the file, if it exists. if it doesn't one of the rpms might not really be installed or something. also, try doing "gcc-3.0.1 -version" (or maybe -v) and see what it says.

i spose you are doing the export correctly? if you are re-typing it, make sure it is right :)

my little script exports, make -f makefile.dist and ./configure and make and make installs seq, and this is what i see during ./configure... not that it really helps any :)

checking for gcc-3.0.1... gcc-3.0.1
checking for g++-3.0.1... g++-3.0.1

KSti
02-04-2002, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the help and the great guide.

Did it on RH 7.2 and worked flawlessly. I blame a PIBKAC error. Me and my newbie ways!

Just running into a huge problem with a 10mb hub and a NIC that likes 100mb/sec full duplex. Joy. Because of my infinite knowledge of customizing linux network drivers, I've gone through two nics, two nic drivers, and three reinstalls of RH before stumbling on a solution that (I think) will work.

If you're reading, I havent been able to get tcpdump to run at ALL for testing purposes. Not sure it exists on the system. Could you give a hint as to how I would run this program? Could be just a capitalization issue, for all I know.

fryfrog
02-04-2002, 04:05 PM
pretty sure it just isn't installed by default. i don't think it is on my mandrake system(s). i guess it might be good to add to the required list (or maybe make a suggested list?).

anyway,

wget ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/8.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/tcpdump-3.6.2-1mdk.i586.rpm
rpm -ivh tcpdump-3.6.2-1mdk.i586.rpm
tcpdump -i eth0

or if you wanna do it in two lines....

rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/8.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/tcpdump-3.6.2-1mdk.i586.rpm
tcpdump -i eth0

personally, i prefer the first way because then i have the rpm file on my system. if you use the second way and it doesn't install for some reason (say it has a dependancy or something) then you have to re download it :)

KSti
02-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Thanks =) 100% working now.

Here's a link to the RH 7.2 version if it helps anyone else.

ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/tcpdump-3.6.2-9.i386.rpm

plat
02-04-2002, 11:18 PM
ok i fixed my other problem (yes i'm a moron) and got up to the part were you type ./configure for showeq and it goes for a while then stops and says

configure: error: connot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. read the INSTALL file.

anyone know what to do? :confused:

fryfrog
02-04-2002, 11:27 PM
in mandrake, make sure you have both "libpcap0" and "libpcap0-devel" installed.

in redhat, i believe having just "libpcap" installed is what you need.

[root@mystique root]# rpm -qa | grep libpcap
libpcap0-0.6.2-1mdk
libpcap0-devel-0.6.2-1mdk

[root@mystique root]# slocate libpcap
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.5
/usr/lib/libpcap.a
/usr/lib/libpcap.so

i trimmed a bit off the slocate, but what i trimmed off were document directories and such. if you are using mandrake, it should look similar to that. redhat should look a LITTLE similar, but certainly not the same. use your best judgement.

plat
02-04-2002, 11:42 PM
ah thx it seems i have the first one but not the devel one :)

KSti
02-05-2002, 07:11 AM
Error in your redhat guide, I think.

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq.conf

should read

forgot the showeq directory name in the copy to directory.

fryfrog
02-05-2002, 06:12 PM
thanks, thought that had been fixed but perhaps it was fixed in the mandrake one. i'll check it out now.

**fixed now.

eqjunkie01
02-06-2002, 10:15 PM
cd /usr/lib/
wget ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
tar zxvf qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz

When I unzip the tar file I get this error

qt-2.2.2/src/widgets/qwhatsthis.cpp <-last file unzipped
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Any idea? cause I dont have a /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/configs/linux-g++-shared file or directory =(

Eqjunkie01

Cryonic
02-06-2002, 11:59 PM
When I unzip the tar file I get this error

qt-2.2.2/src/widgets/qwhatsthis.cpp <-last file unzipped
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

You said it yourself, you get an ERROR. The file was corrupted during download. Try redownloading it.

fryfrog
02-07-2002, 01:07 AM
if you are behind a firewall, adding "--passive-ftp" to the wget line can help you. i know i have to do "wget --passive-ftp" but i have put this into my .bashrc file as an alias so i don't type it every time.

eqjunkie01
02-07-2002, 01:40 AM
heh this is do rigged, yes it was corrupted its because i d/l into win 98 burned to cd and used the cd in linux, come to find out my firmware in my burner is going out. i did this because i cant figure ut how to get linux to run through win98 from a hub. e.g win98 is my dialup and wingate server for my linux box =/ im sorry today is my first time ever looking at linux never used it in my life.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for the great guide.

Eqjunkie

fryfrog
02-07-2002, 01:44 AM
well, win98se has "ICS" (Internet Connection Sharing) which should work for getting your linux box on the internet... but, once that is working you won't be able to sniff eq packets. windows, while it sucks, is not dumb. if you are playing eq over your dial up modem, all traffic will go over the modem... which means that your linux box which is on a network won't see the traffic cause it never goes out the network card on your windows box.

eqjunkie01
02-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Ok, i went an bought an externat best data modem, works like cake, i am setting my linux system as a local isp, connected to a dialup isp, is this correct? right now im trying to figure out how to set everything up before i attempt to install Seq , after about 60 packs of smokes and 3 cases of beer i might get it working.

Thanks for all the help

fryfrog
02-08-2002, 12:08 AM
dunno, i've never done dialup with linux :(

eqjunkie01
02-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Quick noob question. When i get linux up and installed. how is the box suppose to act As a ISP? or Fileserver? or Firewall box to the net? does my everquest computer have to be networked to the box and able to surf the net? cause i am haveing a hard time makeing my windows computer see the internet running through the box. Sorry about the dumb question. but maybe some people are also stuck where I am.

Eqjunkie

fryfrog
02-08-2002, 09:59 PM
what you need to do is use "iptables" to do ip masqurading for your linux box (yeah, i spelled it wrong). what this does, is your windows box sends all its packets to the linux box. the windows box just sends it blindly there cause it is set as the default gateway. the linux box then translates all these packets and pretends IT made the request and sends it on out to the internet. when it gets back, the linux box un-pretends the packets and gives them to the windows box again.

anyway, it is both kinda easy but kinda daunting to setup. i haven't done it in about 4 years because i've been using www.freesco.com for a while.

eqjunkie01
02-09-2002, 03:52 AM
if i use freesco i would have to have another computer right? win98, linux, and system useing freesco?

Btw i got it all up and going flawlessly, just no packets yet.

fryfrog
02-09-2002, 03:59 AM
yes, freesco would have to run on a third computer. fortunatly, it will run on pretty much anything that was made post 1985 i think. you need a floppy disk, an i386 (or better) cpu and 8mb (or more) of ram. i think you probably need a video card too, but i won't get into the specifics of computer building :)

chances are good if it isn't in your closet, you already threw away the hardware that freesco can run on. if you did, just run over to your friends house and steal his old computer. he won't notice :)

eqjunkie01
02-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks so much Fryfrog, you are the best. you dont know how many endless nights I would be up pulling my hair out if it wasnt for your help or the NoOb guide.

Today I am going to try to setup NAT's and throw up a firewall so my eqmachine will send packets to my linux box then back to win98. If not then i guess i go buy a router lol, or hit the yard sales LOL.

God I hope this works. ;)

Thanks guy.

fryfrog
02-09-2002, 03:46 PM
well, i kind of helped myself today. i side-graded from a voodoo3 2000 -> nvidia tnt 2 video card. i installed the lastest nvidia rpms but after i had done that, showeq wouldn't work. it turns out that the nvidia rpms install to /usr/lib/ but showeq was looking in /usr/X11R6/lib. i tried running ldconfig again, i tried re-compiling qt-2.3.2 and i tried re-compiling showeq as well. finally, making a symlink from the one in /usr/lib -> /usr/X11R6/lib is what fixed it. hope this might help anyone using nvidia's drivers.

eqjunkie01
02-10-2002, 02:05 AM
WOOOHOOOOOO! I DID IT!!!!!

Win98 ---Hub----Linux-dialup isp

I did a complete NATS setup and iptables set and i was able to share my internet connection out to win98!... If anyone is trying to do what i have been trying to lemmy know ill write up a contribution on how to set up the network with only 2 machines.

THANKS to fryfrog!!! Your da man.

fryfrog
02-10-2002, 08:10 PM
nah, i am not the man :) you are the one that figured all that stuff out and didn't ask a whole bunch of stupid questions. i'm just glad you went out on your own and figured it all out instead of asking for step by step instructions on how to do it.

was it very hard? does your linux box auto-dial when the win98 box needs net access? or do you just dial in on linux when ever you wanna surf/play eq?

JediRice
02-11-2002, 10:49 AM
I have been trying for a very long time with Redhat 7.1 to install showeq4. This install guide helped me get all the proper rpms installed and helped me through the entire process, including compiling the qt rpm from source, which I had never know how to do before. Thank you very much for writing such a very good and informative install guide.

129eqv
02-11-2002, 01:57 PM
I went out and bought the RedHat 7.2 Bible on Saturday to get my box to dial out and act as a gateway. After a couple hours of trial and error I got mine working. Does SEQ have to be run as Root? or should I be trying to get it to work as a normal user? I downloaded and installed everything as Root.

B.

RavenCT
02-11-2002, 02:36 PM
If I remember correctly, since the network card needs to be put in "promiscous" mode (Don't flame me if I got that wrong, you all know what I mean :) ), the session your in needs to have root priviliges. You can do that one of two ways...

1) Log in as root
2) Log in as user, then at a prompt type

'su'

then enter the root password. Voila, your session now has root privileges... Run showeq and you should be all set.

129eqv
02-11-2002, 02:50 PM
I went into the User administrator and gave my user account just about every access listed there, I'm taking it that the user administrator is just giving me rights to those directorys and not acctual root privliges per say?

B.

eqjunkie01
02-11-2002, 03:17 PM
You know whats funny. today marks my 5th day useing linux. i have no unix exp at all. but it is so easy cause im a technical person. Here is my guide to setting up Linux to share the internet connection to win98 to use showeq4 on a dial up through linux.

Noobs Noob guide to win98-hub-linux redhat 7.2 dial-up.

You will need the following Versions.

A - Firewall Command
B - Linux Kernel Version
C - Red Hat Version

a1.. ipfwadm
b1. 2.0.x
c1. 5.x

a1. ipchains
b1. 2.2.x
c1. 6.x, 7.0

a1. iptables
b1. 2.4.x
c1. 7.1+

So, your Linux system sees that as eth0 (the first, and probably only ethernet interface on your host). So you'd have a script that looked something like:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.99.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.99.255
route add -net 192.168.99.0 eth0
ipfwadm -F -a acc -m -S 192.168.0.0/16 -D 0/0

... which would configure the interface, add the route (automatically done in 2.2.x --- but necessary in 2.0.x and earlier), and add a special entry to the "forwarding" table for the kernel's IP packet filtering (so-called "firewall").
Your PPP configuration would set the default route (out to the Internet). You might use manual dialing or a program like 'diald' to automatically dial your ISP whenever packets get directed for it (dial on demand). I've heard that newer versions of the PPP daemon (pppd) support dial-on-demand directly --- though I haven't tried it.

NEXT

iptables:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward - Enables packet forwarding

iptables --flush - Flush all the rules in filter and nat tables
iptables --table nat --flush
iptables --delete-chain - Delete all chains that are not in default filter and nat table
iptables --table nat --delete-chain

# Set up IP FORWARDing and Masquerading
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT - Assuming one NIC to local LAN

All PC's on the private office network should set their "gateway" to be the local private network IP address of the Linux gateway computer.
The DNS should be set to that of the ISP on the internet.

Windows '95+98xx Configuration:

Select "Start" + Settings" + "Control Panel"
Select the "Network" icon
Select the tab "Configuration" and double click the component "TCP/IP" for the ethernet card. (NOT the TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter)
Select the tabs:

"Gateway": Use the internal network IP address of the Linux box. (192.168.XXX.XXX)
"DNS Configuration": Use the IP addresses of the ISP Domain Name Servers. (Actual internet IP address)
"IP Address": The IP address (192.168.XXX.XXX - static) and netmask (typically 255.255.255.0 for a small local office network) of the PC can also be set here.

If you need any further help or questions lemmy know. I learn fast =)

fryfrog
02-12-2002, 05:48 AM
you physically HAVE to be the user root to put the network inteface into promiscious mode and sniff traffic on it afaik. the best way to do this is to run X as a normal user (i run as fryfrog) and then open up a console and type "su" and put in your root password. you then can start showeq and all that jazz. if you are concerned about security (and everyone should be) dont run it on a sensitive system :)

129eqv
02-12-2002, 07:01 AM
Thank you, I will remember to do the 'su' command tonight =) Don't want anyone hacking my box and using it to hack others =(

B.

grogoer
02-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Oops! Thank you

eqjunkie01
02-12-2002, 04:38 PM
i donno what the hell happends but when i booted my system up this morning redhat would not boot to kde, and gave me some sort of iptables errors refering to iptables 1.2.3 when my version is 1.2.4 and cant find my xserver conf files, wont boot all the way, and boots to login:... i havent changed anything since showeq install and i have rebooted plenty of times before.

I know this is a little off the showeq topic, but i really cant trust anyone but you guys for help.
is there a way to restore a previous boot img?

grogoer
02-13-2002, 01:59 AM
Hello, I'm having a problem with "make" on qt-2.3.2

It has something to do with "qtetrix"

The actual error message is rather large, click here (http://w3rd.org/files/compile.txt) to view the whole thing. This happens about halfway through the make of qt-2.3.2.

I followed the guide exactly to the best of my knowledge, here is my package information:

# rpm -qa | grep gcc
gcc-c++-2.96-0.62mdk
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.62mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc-2.96-0.62mdk

# rpm -qa | grep 3.0
rpm-devel-4.0.3-0.27mdk
ncftp-3.0.3-3mdk
quota-3.01-0.1mdk
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
sed-3.02-12mdk
rpm-4.0.3-0.27mdk
perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-1mdk
apmd-3.0final-23mdk
popt-devel-1.6.3-0.27mdk
mpg123-0.59r-15mdk
rpm-python-4.0.3-0.27mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
libstdc++3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
libstdc++3.0-devel-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.1-1mdk
popt-1.6.3-0.27mdk
vixie-cron-3.0.1-52mdk
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.1-1mdk
linux_logo-3.05-6mdk
rpm-build-4.0.3-0.27mdk

# which gcc-3.0.1
/usr/bin/gcc-3.0.1

# which g++-3.0.1
/usr/bin/g++-3.0.1

# gcc-3.0.1 -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.0.1/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-cstdio=stdio --enable-clocale=generic --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java --program-suffix=-3.0.1 --enable-objc-gc --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.1

# rpm -qa | grep libpcap
libpcap0-0.6.2-1mdk

# slocate libpcap
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.5
/usr/lib/libpcap.a
/usr/lib/libpcap.so

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

(edit: as a side note, it seems as if the steps after this one work perfectly even with the compile error, but I'm still curious why it didn't finish)

fryfrog
02-13-2002, 02:21 AM
make[4]: *** [tetrix] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/examples/tetrix'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/examples/themes'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/examples'

i think that the above is exactly why it appears the make did not work, but you can still compile showeq. it was failing to compile an example program in the /qt-2.3.2/examples/ directory which really isn't required for anything.

a neat trick (well, not really a tick...) is to just delete the /examples dir (as well as 1 or two other unused ones) and THEN compile. since it isn't compiling the samples, it goes a tad faster and leaves you with a smaller qt-2.3.2 directory. of course, you can always delete them afterwards too.

grogoer
02-13-2002, 03:21 AM
You're right, it seems like it works perfectly w/o compiling the examples. Thank you for your quick reply

Odus
02-19-2002, 12:44 PM
I am running RH Linux 7.1 Everything goes good all the way to the end of the ./configure and such intill it gets to the libeq.a I know I have the latest version, I also have libeq in both usr/lib and usr/local/lib

Basically little error at the end and I can't make the install for some reason (proabably something simple) any help is appreciated. THanks

root@localhost linux]# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support...................................... done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4.... done!

Checking Autoheader version................................. done!
>> Using Autoheader version................................. 2.13!

Generating configure template (config.h).................... done!
Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am..................... done!

Checking Autoconf version................................... done!
>> Using Autoconf version................................... 2.13!

Finalizing Autoconf script (configure)...................... done!
Releasing temporary file handles............................ done!

Success! Please type the following:

./configure && make

This will configure and compile ShowEQ...

If you are installing ShowEQ for the first
time, be sure to add '&& make install' to
the end of the compile process...

[root@localhost linux]# ./configure && make
loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for c++... (cached) c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... (cached) yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for working const... (cached) yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... yes
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 2.3.0
>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/lib/
>>>>> Workable...: -*{ YES }*-
checking for Qt MOC... yes
checking if Qt compiles without flags... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... yes
checking for gdImageCreate in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... yes
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... c++ -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for deque.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for ProcessPacket in -lEQ... no
configure: error: libEQ.a not found. Be sure libEQ.a is already installed in /usr/local/lib or
/usr/lib.
[root@localhost linux]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

Cryonic
02-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Odus: You missed a step very early on with getting SEQ. Try rereading the instructions and take note that the module is showeq, NOT linux.

BurnSTD
02-22-2002, 01:56 PM
I am running Red Hat 7.2 and am currently at the following step:

cd /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/
./configure -thread
make

Particularly the make command. I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2] *** [moc] Error 1
make[2] Leaving directory '/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
make[1] *** [src-moc] Error 2
make[1] Leaving directory '/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Motoren
02-24-2002, 05:38 PM
It seems like the links are broken. I have used the guide before and it works great, so i would be thankfull if you will make them work again.

Motoren

fryfrog
02-25-2002, 05:47 AM
odus: you need to ONLY have the libeq.a file in one place, and you need to MAKE SURE it is the correct one. i will re-define that: your libeq.a should only be in ONE library path. having it in /root and /usr/lib is OKAY but having it in /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib is NOT OKAY.

burnstd: i see you do "export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2" but i don't see an export for "CC" or "CXX" (should be gcc3 or gcc-3.0.1 AND g++3 or g++-3.0.1 depending on distro. redhat first, mandrake is second after or)

Motoren
02-25-2002, 04:18 PM
internal error: Lagersegmentfejl
internal error: storesegmenterror in english i think.

I get that when i type make after ./configure -thread

Motoren

dizzyll
02-27-2002, 02:03 PM
sorry for the newb question but... I am missing the files:

libpcap0-0.6.2-1mdk

that you posted previously here. Where can I find these at? Still very new to all this... I have tried to search a few ftp sites, but to no avail.. and I know I probably just didn't load it from the CD properly or something, but in anycase.. I cant seem to find them :(

greenrabbit
03-13-2002, 03:51 PM
need to add libtool and xlib to the required rpms on the mandrake install

UncleBen
03-15-2002, 01:13 PM
seems that hackersquest.org is down atm :(

if someone could post the how-to for mandrake 8.1 I'd REALLY appreciate it. Had to redo linux and now I'm a newbie lost again; lol

Thanx

Aurelius
03-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Fryfrog,

Just a quick and easy question to you. I followed your installation for Mandrake explicitly. Step for step, file for file as you detailed in your super guide.

It works. Even after I redid it yesterday (with hesitation after reading your concern about it causing you a problem) it operates well.

My quicky for you is this:

I can't seem to get your script update to work. I d/l the ..tar.gz, gzip it to tar, then ran the tar 'xvf' on it. Then it gives me the script name. I then chmod 777 it. I try to run it and it errors out with:

bash: showeq.script: command not found.

I know it's not much of a problem but I think it should work. As it sits now it resides in my /root directory. Whatcha think??

Thanx again.

(hehe still not a programmer yet!)

fryfrog
03-30-2002, 11:54 PM
1.) you can extract a tar.gz file using "tar zxvf"
2.) even though you chmod it executable, you still have to use "./showeq.script" to start it.

make sure you are okay with the default settings it assumes at the top of the script (dir locations, qt and libeq locations...)

Aurelius
03-31-2002, 01:37 AM
I really feel the fool but I didn't know about the './' before the script command. I don't believe I came across that as such in anything I've read so far. Gonna have to do some research I guess because I typed it w/ those commands and the program is running as I speak.

Thanx )))

Cryonic
03-31-2002, 02:00 AM
DOS Method of executing commands:

Look in the CWD (current working directory) for the executable (.exe, .com, .bat, etc...). If not found then use the PATH variable for other directories to check.

UNIX Method of executing commands:

Use the PATH variable for a list of directories to search for the executable (by default PATH does NOT contain . in the search path due to security issues that could cause).

This is the reason that you HAVE to use ./ to execute a command in the CWD when it isn't in the PATH variable.

echo $PATH

fryfrog
03-31-2002, 02:11 AM
great explaination, i probably would have said it worse myself :)

SyberWired
04-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Monkey,
Dumb question probably, but can I use the QT2 package from the Mandrake CDs or do I need to use the downloaded one from that site?

fryfrog
04-02-2002, 01:27 PM
the basica answer is no. but, you will also need this rpm installed for most of the rest of the system to work.

the qt2 packages on your mandrake 8.1 (and 8.2) were compiled with the default compiler used to compile everything else. that is 2.96 or something very close to that.

you need qt-2.3.2 that is compiled with gcc3 (gcc-3.0.1 in mdk 8.1, gcc-3.0.3 in mdk 8.2 i hear). that is the ONLY reason we download and compile qt-2.3.2 really... that and it needing the "./configure -thread" option :)

CPEQ
04-03-2002, 04:53 AM
Just used the Mandrake 8.1 install instructions. Awesome! I have almost no computer skills, but was able to get the thing up and running in 2 days, start to finish.

One suggestion. In your list of packages to install, you might want to add unzip. One of your directions requires using it, and being the newbie that I am it took me awhile to figure out how to add that package after I had done the install.

Thanks for the great instruction guide!

CP

Edit: also, when downloading the qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz file you have to be logged in as root....this would be a good place to mention the su command. Another newbie blunder that took me a little while to work out. (At least on my machine I had to be logged in as root...otherwise I got a permission denied error when trying to wget the file)

pjwendy
04-03-2002, 05:01 AM
Hi

I must be really dense but so far I have been able to do everything upto running the ./configure.

Running on RH 7.0 with the new gcc3 and wget packages installed. Everything built fine and make -f Makefile.dist was fine.

When I run ./configure I get the following message..

configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in /.. /../..

I am in the /root/showeq directory so I am a little confused with what is wrong here :(

Any pointers?

SyberWired
04-03-2002, 06:46 AM
I am new to all of this, but I think the actual command should be "./configure -threads". I don't know if that will fix your problem or not.

----on a side note----

Last night I followed Monkey's guide to the letter, and was able to see what SINS could not show me...spawns correctly! Awesome job, Monkey!

fryfrog
04-03-2002, 03:09 PM
i think monkey would LOVE to change that guide, but the forums (and thread) have been locked by the admin. poor monkey cannot get in to edit it. poor monkey also did not make a text copy on his own computer (so he has told me). i have asked that an admin unlock it so i can copy it for him real fast, but that wasn't met with any sort of real answer.

i'll scour over this thread and fix what was suggested for monkey if i can ever manage to get the original text (or feel like re-writing it and fixing all the links he had put in...). maybe if you guys sent a msg to the admin of the hackersquest.org forums they would say "hey, that is a useful guide... maybe we shouldn't lock it like it is..."

fryfrog
04-03-2002, 03:13 PM
oh yeah, and your ./configure issue...

goto rpmfind.net and search for "install.sh" or "install" (limit it to redhat 7.0 if you can figure out how, it will make it easier).

the ONLY install.sh files i found on my box were:

[root@mystique root]# slocate install.sh
/boot/grub/install.sh
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/Xinstall.sh
/usr/src/linux-2.4.8/arch/i386/boot/install.sh

[root@mystique root]# rpm -qf /usr/src/linux-2.4.8/arch/i386/boot/install.sh
kernel-source-2.4.8-26mdk

[root@mystique root]# rpm -qa | grep auto
autoconf-2.13-9mdk
autologin-1.0.0-5mdk
automake-1.4-20.p5.mdk

so, if i were you i would make sure i have all the auto-install, auto-make and all the other types of compiling helper programs installed.

Cryonic
04-03-2002, 04:28 PM
The missing install-sh is not in any RPM.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/

You must have done something wrong in the checkout of the code from cvs.

Shizit
04-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Im a linux noob. When trying to download the latest version of SEQ I get a password prompt.

[Shizit@localhost Shizit]$ cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
CVS password:
cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.seq.sourceforge.net rejected access to /cvsroot/seq for user anonymous

Did I miss some place where I need to register? Or does cvs just hate me today?

Any help would be much apreciated.

thebugbox
04-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Yeah this happend to me too. I just hit enter, and it downloaded fine. Maybe they need to put this in the guide.

Also I had a problem getting the qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz file.

but if you click on this link from inside netscape in linux, it will download it (I don't know why the wget didn't work on my box, but hey, it is only my second day using LINUX)

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz

and save it where you need to.

Also, the guide should say that LINKSYS sucks, it doesn't work, don't do it, step away from the router. Had to borrow my friends NETGEAR router to get it to snoop.

Later
TheBugBox

P.S. Remember you can do it too. Other than the things listed above, I did the Redhat 7.2 (don't hate me, I bought it at B3$7 Buy to get the free stickers!) install and got it all working within a half a day, and that was fighting the trolltech download, and my linksys router(that acts as a switch when running 10/100). IT'S NOW ALL GOOD!

Shizit
04-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Oh christ, Im a fool.

pjwendy
04-08-2002, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all those who tried to help.

In the end I just downloaded the latest Redhat and rebuilt using all the development packages :)

Works a treat :)

ballz
04-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Well i had everything working till i decided i wanted windows on this box too.. after installing windows and redhat 7.2(via the how to) i tried to get seq back up and running.. this is what i get

creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc3... gcc3
checking for g++3... g++3
checking for supported compiler version... yes
checking for gcc... gcc3
checking whether the C compiler (gcc3 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc3 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc3 accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... g++3
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++3 ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++3 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether g++3 accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc3 -E
checking for working const... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc3 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc3 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc3 static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc3 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc3 supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc3 supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for supported libc version... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... yes
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 2.3.2
>>> Headers......: /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
setting Linux pthread compilation options
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... yes
checking for gdImageCreate in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... yes
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++3 -E
checking for ANSI C header files... no
checking for deque... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether to build with decryption... yes
checking for InitializeLibEQ in -lEQ... yes
checking whether to enable debugging code and flags... yes
checking whether to build with optimization enabled... yes
checking whether to build with code inlined... yes
checking whether to build with profiling... no
checking whether to build with Berkeley DB3... no
checking whether to build for use with the test server... no
checking for rpath... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating src/Makefile
creating maps/Makefile
creating conf/Makefile
creating conf.h
Success!

The underlined part is what i noticed right off then i continue through the install process and got this error

/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:650: undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:652: undefined reference to `QStringData::deleteSelf()'
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:651: undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:651: undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:650: undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:652: undefined reference to `QStringData::deleteSelf()'
make[1]: *** [showeq] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/seq/showeq/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist': No such file or directory
[root@localhost seq]# g
bash: g: command not found

Any help would be appricated or if any more info is needed please let me know.. i've looked all over for a similar problem to mine but coudn't find anything

fryfrog
04-08-2002, 10:55 PM
that sounds like you didn't get QT-2.3.2 (or qt-3.0.3 if you are brave) compiled with gcc3 like you need to. or maybe you just forgot to export your QT env?

Cryonic
04-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Notice something wrong? I did:

>> Found version.: 2.3.2
>>> Headers......: /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/

hmm, qt-2.3.1??? see it now?

ballz
04-09-2002, 04:05 PM
That was it thx alot for your help.. was past midnight when i finally gave up last night.. but u got it right =) downloaded 2.3.2 and worked great thx again

Dr_Madd
04-17-2002, 10:11 PM
I get the same error.

root@2-l qt-2.3.2]# make
cd src/moc; make
g++-3.0.1 -c -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -I../../include -I../tools -I. -o mocgen.o mocgen.cpp
[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]#

so i run,

rpm -qa | grep gcc

and it shows me

gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.4-2mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.76mdk
libgcc3.0.4-2mdk
gcc3.0-3.04-2mdk
gcc3.0-cpp-3.04-2mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.76mdk

help appretiated.

Cryonic
04-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Try learning a little about Linux and don't just blindly type the commands in.

gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc3.0-c++-3.0.4-2mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.76mdk
libgcc3.0.4-2mdk
gcc3.0-3.04-2mdk
gcc3.0-cpp-3.04-2mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.76mdk

Notice the rpms that say gcc3.0-3.0.4 <-------

YOU DON'T HAVE 3.0.1, SO THE COMMAND DOESN'T EXIST.

I leave it to you to figure out what to replace gcc-3.0.1 with for compiling.

Everguide
04-20-2002, 01:47 PM
I had to run Red Hat 7.2 install through text mode and have been havinging to manually select each needed RPM (the ones the guide said) and have been up and down my list but can not find

Zlib
gdbm

Do you know under what catagory these would be under (ex: system environment/kernal, system environment/libaries and so on)

Thanks I have been checking off RPMS for like an hour now and need to find these last ones.

:confused:

fryfrog
04-21-2002, 09:22 PM
a.) use the flat view, its a LOT easier to find names of rpms.
b.) don't post the same question twice, it wastes my time.

i'm putting the answer HERE as well because it MIGHT help someone else.

USE rpmfind.net if you are having trouble finding what rpm you need. not all rpm based distro's are the same, and since i don't actually USE rh 7.2, i can't really tell you what the real rpms name is.

use the flat view instead of the catagory view.

DragonRider
04-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to post that I printed and followed this guide step-by-step and it worked perfectly for me. It was a clean install of RH7.2. I've been using SEQ for the past couple of days now (with only one Seg Fault crash) and enjoy it.

P.S. Like you say, fryfrog, RPMFIND.NET is a site I practically LIVE at!

Smoker
04-23-2002, 05:07 AM
Well, I have been meaning to get SEQ up and running for sometime now. I have mandrake 8.2 up and running and was about start with the HOW TO guilde which is at the start of this topic, but nothing, the link is dead.

From reading the posts on the board it would seem people are still using it. So I will assume the hackerquest board is either down at this time or my ISP will not allow me to connect to it.

So, I have used the "search" to see if it is linked elsewhere, nope.

Is it linked anywhere else ?

If it is just my ISP and other people can read it, would it be possible to have a copy of it here please ?

Edit:

After trying it for 3 hours then making the post here, 20 mins later the link works /sigh.

nxxk
04-29-2002, 10:05 PM
hi~fryfrog
I followed your installation for redhat 7.2
& i have showeq installed not get any errors
when i start showeq
./showeq -i eth0 65.59.195.107 (my ip)
i can't see any info on showeq
i can't see my char or other char
i can't see any mob
what's wrong with me?
how could i know the showeq installed correct or not?
can u teach me step by step plz /bow

UncleBen
04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
umm, you need to enter the eth and IP of the packets you want sniffed.

I'll assume your linux is the gateway and you have your windows box hooked directly to it:

use ./showeq -i eth1 (WINDOWS IP(probably 192.168.0.X))

of course I don't know your setup so it may be off, but hopelly you get the idea.

PS edit out your damn IP before someone hacks you; rofl. And if you need more specific help, give some more details :p

*looks around for someone to flame*

nxxk
04-29-2002, 11:04 PM
my linux is not geteway
i use HUB connect winXP(run EQ) & linux(run showeq)
& i use adsl my ip is DHPC

UncleBen
04-30-2002, 12:12 AM
is your hub a switching hub? if it is then you have a problem cause switching hubs won't broadcast on every port therefore; your linux box will never see the data going to EQ since packets are directed to the port of the MAC address being used :(

don't think regular non-switching hubs are expensive though if that's what it is

if you not sure on your HUB, post what brand and model it is and I look it up for ya; hehe

nxxk
04-30-2002, 12:36 AM
my hub is not a switching hub
it's D-link DE-805TP 5 port normal hub ><

thebugbox
04-30-2002, 04:52 AM
Don't put in the IP address at the end of the command, and once ShowEQ is up and running, click monitor next eq session, and then load up Everquest. That's how I got mine to start working. Using the IP address did not work for me. Also, make sure that all of your network cards are running at the same speed. either 10baseT or 100 but not both.

Later
C

fryfrog
04-30-2002, 06:13 PM
to use the ip, use "--ip-address=x.x.x.x"

if you are using dsl, and you are NOT behind some sort of a device that translates pppoe to normal ethernet (ie, a firewall) seq will NOT work.

this is because pppoe has some packet overhead which modifies the actual packets so seq does not recognize them.

wolfy
05-06-2002, 06:22 AM
if anyone is trying to install this on mandrake 8.2, just change the gcc, and g++ to gcc-3.0.4 and g++-3.0.4

CelestialOne
05-07-2002, 09:49 AM
You know I got the same error and have spend one day already trying to fix it. I had this thing working before not sure why is missing g++3.0.1 on mines also. Sucks! Any adivice anyone out there how to get g++3.0.1 install on the system or were to get it from or a sub that we can use to replace that file?

CelestialOne
05-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Wow I just saw your add and try what you said and I got to said Man

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

Finaly got it going hehehe. I hope that I don't get any more Errors Hehehe. I install this before here and never had that problems and now that I did a whole new system install it gave me this problem. Heheh oh well thanks to you is fix now. :)

wolfy
05-08-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by CelestialOne
Wow I just saw your add and try what you said and I got to said Man

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

Finaly got it going hehehe. I hope that I don't get any more Errors Hehehe. I install this before here and never had that problems and now that I did a whole new system install it gave me this problem. Heheh oh well thanks to you is fix now. :)

Glad to be of help,

Mine is working great now also. The only problems i had, was trying to find which gcc files to use, and not having the right packages installed at the start.

coming from a windows background, you expect them to be there by default, hehe.

If you follow that guide to the letter, then you can't go wrong.

thanks to the writer of it, appreciated :)

Mr. Suspicious
05-09-2002, 06:34 AM
In the filtersection:

http://www27.brinkster.com/blueadept/zonefilters.zip

Should be changed into

http://www27.brinkster.com/blueadept/filters/zonefilters.zip

Blueadept redid his website and moved the files to a seperate subdir.

Alwayslost
05-09-2002, 09:48 AM
What would be the smallest HD I could comfortably run SEQ on Mandrake 8.2? I'm building a 400Mhz box and just waivering between buying a new HD or using an old one...

Mr. Suspicious
05-09-2002, 09:57 AM
About 2Gigs, more if you want to install more then the bare minimum of Mandrake things to run Showeq

Alwayslost
05-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks Mr. S!

I have a 4gig just WAITING to be scrubbed.. :cool:

wfj5444
05-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by wolfy
if anyone is trying to install this on mandrake 8.2, just change the gcc, and g++ to gcc-3.0.4 and g++-3.0.4

I reinstalled SEQ and I am now trying it on VMware.

I used gcc and g++ rather than 3.0.4. Will this be an issue? I was under the impression that gcc is version 3.0.4. If that is true, there would be no need to specify 3.0.4.

Anyone know if this is the case?

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Give me the IP address and root password to your box, and i'll check for you... or perhaps you could try learning to use the tools yourself, and do something extremely complicated like typing "gcc -version" to find the version number...

Please people, do something for yourself before you expect everyone else to do it for you..

--Jeeves

Razorwire
05-11-2002, 04:51 AM
will this work for redhat 7.3?

high_jeeves
05-11-2002, 08:37 AM
Please search the forums.. there have been many posts regarding redhat 7.3...

--Jeeves

wfj5444
05-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by high_jeeves

Please people, do something for yourself before you expect everyone else to do it for you..

--Jeeves

Wow Jeeves, that is pretty friggin harsh considering I never ask anyone to do anything for me. I wonder why people are reluctant to ask questions? :P

So instead of being a jerk and showing that you DO NOT really know the answer to my question, you could have just not answered.

"Keep your mouth closed and let people question if you are a fool or not, rather than open it and remove all doubt":eek:

Thanks to anyone else who might know the answer, I already have it figured out and running on about the 3rd box. This one was just a VMware test.

high_jeeves
05-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Actually, you asked everyone else if your gcc was 3.0.4 or 2.9.x... how would we know? Why would you ask us? Just check yourself...

--Jeeves

Latigid
05-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Greetings!

Before anyone bashes me, I *have* searched the message boards for the answer
with no luck. I am having the same outcome no matter what I try. What this
*has* accomplished in the last two weeks of trying is to learn a lot about
Linux as I try to work through the problem. But now I need help. If someone
would point me in the right direction to find the answer, I'd appreciate it
greatly.

Using Mandrake 8.1, I followed the walkthrough to the letter. Every time I
compile ShowEQ, it goes through a long list of errors referencing QT. I
downloaded and followed the directions for QT. I noticed that there is a
/usr/lib/qt2 along with the /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2. Could that be the problem?

Part of the output is below and many thanks.

/root/showeq/src/gdbmconv.cpp:310: undefined reference to
`QString::QString(QString const&)'
gdbmconv.o: In function `GDBMIterator::GetFirstKey(QString, Datum&)':
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:650: undefined reference to
`QString::shared_null'
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:652: undefined reference to
`QStringData::deleteSelf()'
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include/qstring.h:651: undefined reference to
make[2]: *** [showeq] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
[root@watcher showeq]#

wfj5444
05-24-2002, 04:35 PM
I believe that I have had the same problem. There command that will set the QT directory or I think you can remove the QT2 dir. Not sure on that though.

fryfrog
05-24-2002, 05:46 PM
1.) are you sure you compiled qt-2.3.2 USING gcc-3?
2.) if you did, are you sure you are exporting the correct dir?

those type of errors are the ones i usually see if i forget to export the QT dir OR my qt was not compiled with gcc3.

Latigid
05-25-2002, 04:28 AM
That makes sense, vecause there is /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96 as well as /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.0.1.

So I compiled QT again prceded by setting the environment variable to point to GCC-3.0.1 just as the instructions said for compiling ShowEQ (that's what "export CC=gcc-3.0.1 ; CXX=g++-3.0.1 ; QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/" does, correct?) but I got the same result.

Now I'm stumped.

fryfrog
05-25-2002, 09:18 AM
the instructions for compiling qt actually say you have to modify a file. unfortunatly just using the export that works for seq does not work for compiling qt.

the file "qt-sourcedir/configs/linux-c++-shared" (i think, working from memory) needs to have all "gcc" and all "g++" changed to:

redhat: gcc3, g++3
mdk 8.1: gcc-3.0.1, g++-3.0.1
mdk 8.2: gcc-3.0.4, g++-3.0.4
gentoo: gcc-3.0, g++-3.0

Latigid
05-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Did that. Went back and checked and yes, I had done that. So I started over. For some reason, it worked perfectly this time. Maybe it's like when you take your car to the mechanic, the thing quits acting up. Thanks fryfrog for the assist.

Now I have to buy a hub because I'm using a LinkSys switch - which doesn't let ShowEQ see the client box.

/em gets out his wallet and starts digging in the lint.:D

Mr. Suspicious
05-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Monkey679,

Please delete:

5.) goto /usr/local/share/showeq and edit the showeq.conf.dist file to your taste. i usually "cp showeq.conf.dist showeq.conf" then i have a backup of the .dist version.

"Some"-people-(tm) don't understand that showeq.conf is no longer used and replaced by showeq.xml (which does NOT need to be editted in any way, since everything's "save-able" from inside ShowEQ.

fryfrog
05-28-2002, 12:36 AM
unfortunatly, that thread is no longer editable. there are a few other changes that would be nice as well.

z0r
06-11-2002, 03:46 PM
I've tried compiling ShowEQ but after it finishes doing the MOC compiles, and tries to link the .o files, it just repeatedly lists functions that look like they're part of the QT library saying "Undefined Reference"

So, last night I ran make clean and then make again on QT, and then tried ShowEQ again... and it still didn't work.

What I'm thinking is that when I compiled QT last, I had GCC-2.9 whatever installed, so I changed them this time in the configs and I tried it again.
When I ran make it auto-ran configuration, so I forgot about the thread option... but it still did the same thing at the same point when I tried to compile showeq, so it can't be that.

I am out of ideas.. I compiled QT with GCC-3.0.1 and I'm trying to compile showeq with the same, and it still gives me that error.
Are there any other things that would make it not find the QT Library?

dattas
06-15-2002, 07:25 AM
Ok i need to know what to do with mandrake 8.2 do i do exactly the same as 8.1? Also, I have a weird network configuration i goes like this

Everquest computer Lunix computer
.............................ll ll
.............................= ll =
..............................Hub
................................ll
.............................Router
.............................ll ll ll
..Dad's computer = ll = Laptop (Via wireless connection)
................................ ll
.............................Internet

Will this configuration work? they all have internet and can Talk to each other (not sure how to make the lunix box talk to the other computers but it does have internet)

Please help =) My e-mail is [email protected] if u need specifications of my lunix computer
(ignore the periods i had to do that or it would have looked like this)

Everquest computer Lunix computer
ll ll
= ll =
Hub
ll
Router
ll ll ll
Dad's computer = ll = Laptop (Via wireless connection)
ll
Internet

:)
:(
:o
:D
:p
:rolleyes:
:eek:
:confused:
hehe had to try the faces ;)

Mr. Suspicious
06-15-2002, 07:29 AM
If that "Hub" is an actual Hub and not a "switching Hub" (ergo: switch, NOT hub; like most Linksys Hubs) then it should work.

dattas
06-15-2002, 07:34 AM
The hub in a MicroHub/8 TP1008c

And do i need to put anything different for mandrake 8.2 using the 8.1 guide?

unknown_errors
06-17-2002, 05:47 PM
this is the error i get when running make

root@2-l qt-2.3.2]# make
cd src/moc; make
[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]#

i have every rmp installed even remotely starting with gcc
the best source of rpms i can find is <a href="http://mirror.hiway.net/redhat/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/redhat/RPMS/">here</a>
btw heres some system info
mandrake 8.2
512 MD ram
system speed 1GHZ
sis system board
dont know if any of that has anything to do with this ( i'm a windows baby)

high_jeeves
06-17-2002, 05:49 PM
unknown_errors:

about 7 posts (give or take) above yours is a post by fryfrog which answers your question... the "g++3.0.1: Command not found" error is your first clue...

--Jeeves

dattas
06-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by unknown_errors
this is the error i get when running make

root@2-l qt-2.3.2]# make
cd src/moc; make
[root@2-l qt-2.3.2]#

i have every rmp installed even remotely starting with gcc
the best source of rpms i can find is <a href="http://mirror.hiway.net/redhat/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/redhat/RPMS/">here</a>
btw heres some system info
mandrake 8.2
512 MD ram
system speed 1GHZ
sis system board
dont know if any of that has anything to do with this ( i'm a windows baby)

You are running mandrake 8.2 you use 3.0.4 instead of 3.0.1 (learned this by reading lots more) LOL but i should shut up i can't even get Seq to compile... but that is just my bad luck i guess

Latigid
06-24-2002, 07:03 PM
On the Mandrake 8.1 HowTo, there's a link to a script file on FryFrog's site for updating ShowEQ but the links are broken. I just downloaded a book on Bash scripting, but this would be a good example to start with.

Do they still exist?

Many thanks!

fryfrog
06-24-2002, 07:37 PM
unfortunatly, that script no longer exists due to me backing up the important files on a hard drive to the very same hard drive i intended to blow away and install gentoo on. doh. check mount points before you blow away all your spiffy data :)

now i have a cron job that creates tar.gz's and i burn em to cdrom ;)

Latigid
06-25-2002, 04:30 PM
LOL Been there! Had a friend that was doing a full upgrade of the company email server. He realized three quarters of the way through formatting the hard drive that the one thing he forgot to back up was the email database itself!

I bought him a beer to make him feel better about the phone call he had to make to the boss that day. Didn't help. ;-)

On Gentoo - I looked at their site and since I'm such a whiz with Linux now after two months (riiiggghhhtttt!), I think I'll try their distribution and get a little closer to the meat of things. My only question is whether you've had any problems with SEQ on Gentoo? You wouldn't just *happen* to have built an ebuild script for SEQ, would you? ;-)

Ratt
06-25-2002, 04:35 PM
Gentoo with GCC 3.1 and SEQ compile just fine.

There is no ebuild script and I hope no one gets a hairbrained idea to go build one...

fryfrog
06-25-2002, 07:18 PM
after you get gentoo up and running, getting seq going isn't much more complicated than on any other distro. it just takes a little longer to get gcc-3.1 installed cause you are compiling it (and x and kde/fluxbox/gnome...).

Latigid
06-25-2002, 07:51 PM
That much I figured. I have to say that their documentation is really great. Walks you through while telling you *why* or *what* you're doing. Even with that I had to do some searching to learn what the "broadcast" address was. Windows hides that from the normal user. Partitioning with FDISK was a hoot - brought back memories of the DOS days. ;-)

Just started the bootstrap process - on a K6-500. I think I have a little time for EQ ;-)

Dedpoet
06-26-2002, 07:22 AM
If you search on "gentoo" you'll find a thread I started in the Development forum that sort of follows my adventures through doing this 2 weeks ago. I have a link in there to the guide I used to build the system with gcc 3.1 and Qt 3.0.4. It's really not that tough, but it takes a very long time. To my knowledge, there is not yet a stage 3 build of Gentoo with gcc 3.1, so you have to start at stage 1 and then download gcc 3 before you bootstrap. It's all in the guide and you shouldn't have too many problems. I am a happy Gentoo convert, and in fact just blew away my Redhat partition yesterday. Good luck!

Twinky
07-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Clean install of RH 7.2
Checked all the rpm's listed in the guide were being installed from flat view. Install went well till step 3.a in the RH 7.2 install guide.

When I do the "cvs update -p", it runs for about a minute scrolling the terminal window then ends with junk text. Anything I type in to that terminal session is junk text too. Rebooted pc and tried again. Same result when I do the "cvs update -p" part.

Latigid
07-06-2002, 06:17 AM
Did you type "cvs update -p" or "cvs update -P"?

Mr. Suspicious
07-06-2002, 09:16 AM
then ends with junk text.

That "junk text" is the help provided by the program for when you type the wrong command, sjees... Oh well, probably not shocking, as a lot of people regard manuals and readme files as "junk text" to *sighs*

Twinky
07-06-2002, 11:01 AM
lower case -p ...thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake that I have been staring at for hours and didnt see. sheesh I feel dumb now. thanks again

a86me
07-10-2002, 12:49 PM
need help with this step

2.) Download qt-2.3.2 at ftp.trolltech.com (ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz) and extract it to /usr/lib/qt-3.0.1 (cp qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz /usr/lib/ ; cd /usr/lib ; tar zxvf qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz)

Code:

cd /usr/lib/
wget ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
tar zxvf qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz

when i try to do wget, i get an invalid port, any idea what i am doing wrong? and how i can fix it? I am very new to linux and having alot of trouble hehe

high_jeeves
07-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Are you behind a firewall? Have you sucesfully downloaded other things via ftp?

--Jeeves

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 01:10 PM
try using "wget --passive-ftp <rest of stuff>" and see if that helps

otherwise, you can just do it manually using the ftp clients "ncftp" or "ftp" (i recommend "ncftp" it is much more powerful and just about as easy to use (if not easier)).

a86me
07-11-2002, 01:16 AM
on step 4 i am getting an error when i do the make that says:

interface.cpp:1714: Internal compiler error in extract_insn, at recog.c:2218
please submit a full bug report,

then says

make[2]: *** [interface.o] Error 1
make[2]: leaving directory /root/showeq/src
make[1]: ***[all-recursive] error 1
make[2]: leaving directory /root/showeq
make: *** [all-recursive] error 2

also if i try to skip this step and goto step 5 and do the cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf/dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

it says file does not exist

any ideas?

Mr. Suspicious
07-11-2002, 03:28 AM
You are following an OLD howto (and this question is answered about 5 times a week) please read the INSTALL.newbies file in your ShowEQ directory and follow that one.

To see older responses to the same darn thing, please do a search on showeq.conf

Slam
07-11-2002, 01:15 PM
4.) Compiling ShowEQ v4.0.1 is also not very hard. The export lines make sure that ShowEQ use the proper libraries and compilers to actually compile ShowEQ.
Code:

cd /root/showeq
export CC=gcc-3.0.1 ; export CXX=g++-3.0.1 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make -j2
make install
----------------------------------

10 min into this the whole proccess froze?

/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/bin/moc -nw compass.h -o m_compass.cpp
g++-3.0.1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DMAPDIR=\"/usr/local/shar/showeq\" -DLOGDIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -02 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -c map.cpp

So far its been at this step for 45 min??

P233mhz
64mb ram

Please Advise,

Slam

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 01:24 PM
drop the make -j2. the thread is uneditable, but i found that the multi-threaded make of qt had a tendency to freeze it.

Cryonic
07-11-2002, 02:20 PM
QT 2.3.2 takes 8 hours on a P150 with 80MB RAM.

travis68
07-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Ive built showeq several times over the last couple years with relatively no problems.....but this one has me stumped.

When I issue the command:

make -f Makefile.dist I get the following output:

Adding libtool support........................................... ........ done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4....make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 1 make: *** [all] Error 2

The it dumps back to the command prompt.

Ive got all the packages installed and I did all the steps in the guide step by step (obviously im missing something but I dont know what).

Im running this on Madrake Linux 7.0, gcc 3.1 and the latest cvs image of showeq.

Any help would be appreciated.

fryfrog
07-13-2002, 11:33 PM
have you tried removing your source and re-getting it from cvs? i spose its possible for something to have gotten corrupted?

as a very very remote chance, try making a file called ".no-backup" and see what it does for you

touch .no-backup

i only mention this cause that exact word is in the error message, but i seriously doubt this would help any. have you tried using the readme's and install.newbies file that comes with cvs? its a little more current i believe.

travis68
07-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Well I found a bit more info....

In the file Makefile.dist.dbg the following text is written:

*!* aclocal *!*
aclocal: macro 'AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' required but not defined
aclocal: configure.in: 111: macro 'AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

111 refers to the line in configure.in where the macro is declared. At first I thought this was an automake problem. Now it seems that the issue is with libtool.

At the url http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/libtool/libtool_28.html

they talk about how AM_PROG_LIBTOOL should be added to the configure.in file. So it sounds like my system cannot find the resource or perhaps the libtool installation is goofed.

I dont see how. Its very very simple and there were no special instructions on installing it other than the obligatory:

./configure
make
make install

So if this jogs anything in that great mind of yours Id be happy to know your thoughts.

To answer your other questions I did indeed repull the dist from CVS. I also added the .no-backup file to the /root/showeq dir.

/shrug

Not sure what to do at this point lol.

travis68
07-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Seems in the version of aclocal that I have the macro AM_PROG_LIBTOOL has been deprecated. The macro is now AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.

Replacing the macro name fixed my problem.

Now I have another issue.

Says I am missing a template called HAVE_LIBEQ. The exact message in Makefile.dist.dbg is:

autoheader: missing template: HAVE_LIBEQ

*sigh*

travis68
07-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Got past most of the wierd errors...

Bottom line: Dont use the latest versions of libtool, autogen, automake or autoconf...

I can go back and look at what versions I used but the step by step guide doesnt say which ones to use (but its really late and i prolly dont see where you say that though )

Gotta couple more issues to work past but I think im up and running soon.

HopmanUK
07-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Can showeq show ground spawns (non mob related)?

Mr. Suspicious
07-22-2002, 09:12 AM
Can showeq show ground spawns (non mob related)?

No idea why you posted this into this thread, but just to not give you the idea you are being ignored (you're not, you're just posting to a thread hardly anyone visits): yes.

HopmanUK
07-22-2002, 11:43 AM
well, as it was linked to from the faq and my subject says it's a question that should be answered in the faq I think it's sort of obvious why it was posted here??

goldmund
08-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to post a huge thanks to Fryfrog for his awesome work!

I got linux and seq up and running on an old laptop of mine with no prior experience. Your guide was a tremendous help, it saved me lots of frustration I'm sure =)

thanks again

McCade
08-04-2002, 08:46 PM
I have been reading through posts trying to find a solution to my problem and have yet to find one.

I am new with Linux so I hope this problem is easy but not to easy. =)

I have followed numorous guides but when I try to do a ./configure I get this:

checking build system type... i686-suse-linux
checking host system type... i686-suse-linux
checking target system type... i686-suse-linux
/home/mccade/showeq/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/home/mccade/showeq/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking for supported compiler version... checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

I have gcc and g++ 3.0.4
and I believe I have everything else I need. I am using SuSE 8.0. Thanks in advance for any help.

cesmith
08-12-2002, 12:07 AM
I found that this section may need a little tweaking

2c.) you might find that adding the line "/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/lib" to the file "/etc/ld.so.conf" then running "ldconfig" will help you.

Code:

echo "/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig

What I did was to edit /etc/ld.so.conf. I had the line "/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib" in that file I changed it to /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/lib instead. It would want to link to qt-2.3.1 instead of qt-2.3.2. Editing that file made the it work.

Chris

Cryonic
08-12-2002, 12:57 AM
And hopefully you aren't running any other software that is linked to the version of QT (2.3.1) that is NOT compiled with gcc3.x.x. They are not backwards compatible. A program compiled with gcc 2.9.x can NOT use libs compiled with gcc 3.x.x. So don't do the above step unless you KNOW for certain that nothing is linked against it (e.g. KDE).

Rick
08-16-2002, 08:16 AM
Hiya
I have my linux box with showeq now,but i got the error
messages at final part.Here's some of my network info

ADSL ATUR
|(eth0:static ip)
Linux box(Mandrake 8.2)
|(eth1:192.168.1.2,gateway:192.168.1.2) NAT
10/100M switching hub
|
Win98(ip:192.168.1.7,gateway:192.168.1.2)
i really dunno what's going on with showeq =/
[root@Nap bin]# ./showeq -i eth1 192.168.1.7

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml!
Listening for first client seen.
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth1, searching for EQ client...
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_unknown.conf'.
Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

sorry i make it shorter now,this part is all i concert,and u can see i got some erorr
Any help will be greatly apprieciated
:)

high_jeeves
08-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Ok, I have basically no idea what you are asking, since your post didnt make any sense, never stated what was not working correctly, and had tons of extraneous information (why did you post a configure log, if you were able to build succesfully?). But, from what I can figure, you are sniffing on the wrong interface/IP address. As noted in the FAQ, you need to sniff on the outside address in this configuration.

--Jeeves

Rick
08-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi,high_jeeves

So u mean i need to change it into like
#./showeq -i eth0 mystaticip
(instead of the 192.168.1.7 on my win98)?

Btw,i still get the same messages as above after i key in
./showeq -i eth0 mystaticip =(

Mr. Suspicious
08-16-2002, 09:25 AM
cesmith: That's some realy bad advice you give there, for exactly the reasons Cryonic mentions. Having BOTH lines in the /etc/ld.so.conf is no problem at all (this isn't windows where two versions of the same program installed on the same computer cause troubles)

Rick: Like high_jeeves sais, what you type there is not understandable, please repost and this time, use normal grammar and words to describe the prooblem. Looks like you typed things in a REAL hurry and forgot about 75% of the words =) There's no need to be in hurry, you have all the time, take your time and type your problem (if you do not know how or what to type, please read the Pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf to understand how and why, even if you do know, it's well worth your 15 minutes to read it)

From what I see you are not using the correct command syntax either, follow the steps as outlined in the INSTALL.newbies (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/INSTALL.newbies?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup) file. You can also find this file in your ShowEQ directory.

Quoted from this file (which does NOT excuse you from reading it):

2.3 Starting ShowEQ

[]# export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
[]# cd /usr/local/bin
[]# ./showeq eth0 --ip-address=10.0.0.10

OR

[]# showeq eth0 --ip-address=10.0.0.10

Of course, for it to work you will need to replace my ip (10.0.0.10)
with the ip of your computer that is/will be playing everquest. if
your showeq box is also your gateway, you might want to use "eth1"
instead of "eth0".

earhoe
10-05-2002, 04:52 PM
This happens once I hit the make command.

Thanks, from a Linux noob

cd src/moc; make

high_jeeves
10-05-2002, 06:02 PM
No, you just arent reading very well, follow the exact directions found in Install.newbies... I would also recommend you take a look at general guidelines on posting to a message board (like give atleast a modicum of information about your situation).

--Jeeves

elgringo
10-21-2002, 07:17 AM
do this still work?

Mr. Suspicious
10-21-2002, 07:37 AM
do this still work?

Like lots of posts in this thread tell you: NOOOOOO this is outdated stuff and will not work. *g*

Read the documentation (specifically the INSTALL.newbies (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/INSTALL.newbies?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup) file and the official FAQ as linked on the main page of this forum *read the LARGE words*) for the most current information.

Cryonic
10-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Did you try to login to EQ and see if it works? That error is just SEQ trying to open a map (namely unknown.map) that doesn't exist.

elgringo
10-22-2002, 07:49 AM
Suspic that may be so, however trying to install step by step from the newbie install doesnt work for me either. even when going from a clean linux RH7.2 installation. :)

dnwurtz
10-31-2002, 06:23 AM
BUMP

Mr. Suspicious
10-31-2002, 07:57 AM
Suspic that may be so, however trying to install step by step from the newbie install doesnt work for me either. even when going from a clean linux RH7.2 installation.

Then obviously, you are skipping parts or not doing things correct.

BUMP

Stop bumping. Beside the fact that bumping is bad nettiquette, unneeded for anyone but the "lazy" and quite simply: annoying for everyone that visits boards regularrilly, You are realy not helping anyone with it, this guide is out-ofdate!!!

dnwurtz
10-31-2002, 12:18 PM
please cry!!!! and I just used this guide yesterday for my install and it worked fine...that was a really dumb reason from flaming...I bumped cause it is a good guide dumbass

Arcade
01-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Am having the same problem as rick on page 11. After a battle with getting the latest ver of showeq, finally got everything up and running, using every step and no errors. Showeq runs, but the prog window has no map and shows the default human warrior, and the command line has "Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!" message rick had, and this farther up the line when the prog starts. "Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed". Command i'm using is "showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.0.21", with the export for QT before it. Tried being in the game, out of the game and logging in, zoning, etc trying to get it to see me. My showeq box is not a gateway, and all i saw for ricks problem was syntax, searched the forums for unknown.map, but didn't see anything helpfull. Using RH8, full install. I'm a recreational user of linux, not an expert, and i HAVE read the instructions, every file, every word, even if it was while going on no sleep.. I'm asking for help here from anyone that knows more than me, not just attitude from Mr. Suspicious.

fryfrog
01-17-2003, 07:24 AM
sounds like your showeq and eq box are hooked up to a switch and your showeq box isn't seeing the packets at all OR maybe your are running pppoe software on your windows box?

Arcade
01-17-2003, 07:44 AM
thanks, that's what i needed to here. Time to break out the ole hub : )

Chaz
01-17-2003, 07:48 AM
This may not be your problem, but I had the no map issue and discovered that it was due to not doing a 'make install' after compiling.

In one set of instructions I had seen, it said that command was only if new install. This does not seem to be the case and must be executed with each upgrade.

Chaz

Mr. Suspicious
01-17-2003, 07:54 AM
In one set of instructions I had seen, it said that command was only if new install. This does not seem to be the case and must be executed with each upgrade.

And exactly the reason why these outdated "guides" should be discouraged. They (ezpecially this one) become outdated fast. Please, for the love of god, use the official documentation as provided with the software.

wolfy
01-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious

And exactly the reason why these outdated "guides" should be discouraged. They (ezpecially this one) become outdated fast. Please, for the love of god, use the official documentation as provided with the software.

in an ideal world, yes, maybe everyone should, but you and I know that the official documentation is usually more expert orientated, spread out over many places, and assumes that you are an expert in Unix, packet sniffing, and networks...

If it wasn't for this guide, I would never have even attempted to try this operating system, let alone install showeq (which is great)

Maybe some of the expert users who have contributed so much to this community could help out, update the out of date parts and keep new users to linux informed of any changes that they have to do.

and one other thing about these guides.....they stop newbs (as so many people call them) from asking the same questions over and over and over :)

now all i need is a guide on how to run one of those key programs.......

NDT
02-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Anyone else not able to connect there anymore?

unknown_errors
02-19-2003, 02:21 AM
>> Unable to locate your Qt includes...
configure: error: Please verify your Qt devel install!

heres what i'm doing.

cd /seq/showeq/
export QTDIR=/usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc3
./config
make
make install

note line2: export QTDIR=/usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
i know thats where my qt is installed i check a number of times and i remember waiting the three hours it took to make. only reasoning i have for useing this is, that line is telling the seq install where my at is. if i'm not wrong. i'm doing the QT install now. hopefully i'll find something.

Aurelius
02-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Wolfy;

This ain't rocket science. You should read the newby install instructions that accompany the software. I isn't hard. I'm not well versed either. But you have to put the effort in to get respect in this 'field of bones' )). If something is not clear to you, then ask for clarification on that point. ))

wolfy
02-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Aurelius
Wolfy;

This ain't rocket science. You should read the newby install instructions that accompany the software. I isn't hard. I'm not well versed either. But you have to put the effort in to get respect in this 'field of bones' )). If something is not clear to you, then ask for clarification on that point. ))

I'm not saying it's hard either, but most of the instructions are written by people who are well versed in the operating system, and the program that you are trying to install on it. They usually inadvertantly miss out information that is obvious to them, but not to someone who is new to the OS.

A FAQ like this one answers a lot of questions that a new user would usually ask and saves them getting flamed for asking.

as for putting in effort, yes, I should put in more effort, but my time is taken up by this infuriating game that wont let me go......

:) :)