PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in the development...

dyerstraights
10-04-2003, 08:35 AM
INTRO

Hello, I am JUST beginning C++ programming. I am fluent in VB, HTML, Java, php, Access, sql and a few other odds and ends. I have loaded Borland C++ builder 6 and would like to start learning.
I like to learn programming from existing code such as this project, something I have an interest in using. I have always shared my findings and code snipets with others and I will be more than happy to share what I develop for this project with others BUT I'm off to a slow start.... One of the main edits that I would like to work on would be to save alot of the info that this program gathers into a database so the data can be analyzed at a later time.

PROBLEM

The first thing I wanted to do was compile the existing code and run it to make sure I had that down.... I opened the .cpp code from the server application. I compile and have errors:

[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__InitVCL' referenced from D:\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl

[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__ExitVCL' referenced from D:\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl

I then opened a new console application and copied the code from the .cpp into it. Those errors are now gone and the reason is the #include <vcl.h> statement that came from opening a new application.

Now the problem is:

[C++ Error] aclapi.h(125): E2015 Ambiguity between 'PACCESS_MASK' and 'Windows::PACCESS_MASK'

I kinda stopped at this point realizing I should look more into the C++ projects, compilers and includes before going into editing the myseq application. If anyone can kinda help me get past these initial humps, I would sure appreciate it. I have always been one to just jump right into things and would much rather start coding in the application than re-invent the wheel when it comes to the basics.

Thanks in advance, hope to be contributing improvements to the application soon!

slartibartfast
10-05-2003, 04:16 AM
This project is based on the .Net framework so unfortunately the borland compiler will not help you unless they have written a .net version.

the .Net framework is a free download and conatins a compiler, so in theory you do not require micorsoft's .net development studio, but it might proove a difficult task to write .net code without it.

The server is written in, net c++, and the client in c#

dyerstraights
10-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Well, that was just some silly mistake on my part.... I had tried to use a statement to pause the server and wait on 'hit any key to continue' so i could see some new 'print' outputs I had placed in the program. Didn't put he include in for the function...

Yes, I am up and developing in C++ Borland. So far all I have worked with is the client but it is working fine after downloading .net.

Is there any version floating around there which has more commenting in the server package? I am currently needing to work with the ReadProcessMemory function more. I would like to package data differently than the current server does so that I can feed it straight to the database I whipped up for spawn info. How are the offsets determined? If I can figure out where the info I want is, I will package it in a neat little array that is structured after my database fields :-)
I also would kinda like to make a database for item stats. I know there are lots of web sites out there with this, but I would like one to update a personal character profile.... Guess I'm trying to re-do what has already been done with such as magelo, but hey... this kinda practice is a great way for me to get into this language :-)

Thanks again for any replies :-)

slartibartfast
10-09-2003, 10:57 AM
For details of the memory structures used by everquest, your best resource is Macroquest website.

Download their latest source, and take a look at the eqlib project.

Look for "struct _SPAWNINFO" + "struct _CHARINFO" in MQ.h to get yourself started.