PDA

View Full Version : Dhcp

bardbabe
10-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Ok, I am kind of a strange geek. I did some funky shit to my IP addys and now I want to fix it. Problem is, I don't know how to use ShowEQ for DHCP. How do I get it to look for an IP addy?

To make it more difficult, I have 4 comps on the network. 2 on the hub, 2 on the router directly. I would like to make it work for 2 and 2.

Right now, I have set up 2 virtual networks on the one NIC. 1 has a static IP lan, one as a DHCP ISP surfing ID. I would like to go to the DHCP addys, and just set up a workgroup, if I can get SEQ to work.

I surfed around some, but didnt see any infos/babystep info's on how to make it go.

Thanks in advance,

Bardbabe :)

slartibartfast
10-23-2003, 03:52 AM
If you are using DHCP, your IP addresses will be dynamic, however your machine names will never change, so use that instead of the IP address. If your DHCP server is working correctly it should be able to act as a DNS server and convert the name back to an IP address, if this doesnt work, add the netbeui protocol which will provide you with an alternate way to do name->IP translations.

At least I think thats how it all works :)

If not you may have to revert to using static IP addresses, which for such a small network is probably the better way to go anyway.

Internet connection sharing will work just fine with static IP addresses as long as you set up the static addresses within the same range as the dynamically assigned IP addresses, ICS issues numbers starting at 192.168.0.1, so if you want to assign some static ones start near the high end e.g. 192.168.0.200. Oh and dont forget to set the default gateway to the IP address of your ICS machine (which should be 192.168.0.1).

LordCrush
10-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Just use static entries in the DHCP server or set the Lease Time to a very high vallue i.e. 90 days or infinite depends on you DHCP Server.