PDA

View Full Version : Many thanks to Zaphod, TGF, and the SEQ dev team LONG worthless post

patheticnewbie
01-28-2002, 04:44 AM
I know this post might be in the WRONG forum but after reading all the people pleading for help I just wanted to change it up a bit. In a matter of hours (would have taken much less had I not been preoccupied) I was indeed able to get SEQ up and running on 7.2. I read the posts beforehand and found the two most "standard" guides out there Zaphod's & TGF's. Because Zaphod is a developer and it seems to be a more popular post I went with his guide first.
I started with network install of RH7.2 on a p200 w/128mb of ram on a 3com Nic. I've installed other flavors but have avoided RH for my own reasons, after reading enough i realized that going with redhat would only make my life easier. I tried to individually choose the rpms that would be installed beforehand but realized that redhats layout for a net install wasnt exactly conducive and went ahead with a fairly bloated install grabbing entire sections packages ie all of development. In the end my install weighed in at 1.4G not too bad but it can be much better and will be. Anyway configuring RH from the get go was fairly cake, with the standard gui's that ive come to expect from the commercial linux distros.
I followed Zaphods directions to check for the rpms by using the script (let's face it I'm lazy) and came up short on the gcc3's and the lib's. The commands were right there on the page so it was simply a matter of copy and paste into the term to install them and they went without a hitch. I installed the QT's and the libEQ.a as per the instructions. Hell I thought i did everything by the book but when it came time to the final step "make install" I got some errors. I was bummed, and my knee jerk reaction was to post a "Help meee!" on the board, luckily i changed my mind and went for the RTFM err RTFF method, and found out that others had suffered the same error and that i had evidently mistyped something somewhere along the way ACK! I attempted to get onto the SEQ IRC channel but got banned while logging in for god knows what reason so I was fairly SOL.
A bit discouraged I decided to try the spoonfed method of TGF by using his seq.txt. I decided not to try to remove anything and instead left it all as is and lo and behold it worked like a charm. To say the least I am very grateful to TGF, because without TGF I never would have gotten ShowEQ to work. Well after starting ShowEQ I caught an error and noticed quickly that SEQ wasn't sniffing any of the packets on the network. I RTFF chased down the error and searched around and found out that there's a breed of hub-switches that exist, I thought surely my hub wouldn't be a switch/hub like they mentioned i only paid 2000yen($20) in akhiabara, japan for it. Well I ran a tcpdump and started tinkering around and found the only data picked up in the tcpdump was data specifically routed to the linux box hmm "survey says, I had a hub/switch". ACK well i dug out an old 10mbit hub that i had buried in my spare parts bin swapped out my nice 8port 10/100 for a 5 10mbit and no sooner than i had connected the hub in I saw my linux box going to town (I'd left the tcpdump running). I immediately fired up EQ and SEQ and was just overwhelmed by all the info available to me now.
Now if you've read this far you're probably wondering what the point of this post was well here it is. Read the Newbie guides, Read the Forums, if you have an error or fault SEARCH THE FORUMS, they really do work. Like the start of the thread says THANK YOU TGF, ZAPHOD, and THE SEQ DEV TEAM... sure a standardized manual would be nice BUT I wouldnt trade it for these forums anyday.

Appreciatively
NotSoPatheticNewbie