PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinding

Mapfiend
11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
I have just added a new script to http://mapfiend.eq-toolbox.com that allows you to find a route from one zone to another. I only have 115 zone connections mapped so far, but it is promising.
I am currently using a simplified version of an A* (A Star) AI pathing routine to plot the course. I am not weighing the paths it finds at all, and it will list all paths it finds from one zone to the next. I plan to add weights to the zones based on race/class and also take into consideration special requirements to enter zones (planes for example).

My question is this: If I make more progress on this, A: would it be useful to the SEQ community, and B: would anyone be willing to port the code for use in SEQ, bearing in mind that I am writing it in php?

Freakyuno
11-11-2003, 11:02 AM
I can think of multiple applications for this, not just limited to SEQ mapping.

Get it finished and If none of the developers can squeeze it in, I will port it from PHP to an SEQ usable format.

Some of this may be very usefull over at the EQEmu project too BTW, you may be able to collaborate your efforts, and come out with a broad scope utility.

Mapfiend
11-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Freakyuno
Some of this may be very usefull over at the EQEmu project too BTW, you may be able to collaborate your efforts, and come out with a broad scope utility.

That's kind of why I'm doing this, not EQEmu specifically, but game programming in general, to get a better grasp of AI systems :)

S_B_R
11-11-2003, 01:19 PM
OK, call me stupid, but what would this be good for in SEQ?

I don't mean to belittle the efforts I'm simply asking what it's supposed to be used for? It sounds like and interesting project, but perhaps I don't understand what the goal is, atleast in terms fo SEQ...? :confused:

Mapfiend
11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
The goal would be to allow users to plot a course to their destination, for instance if they don't know where a particular zone is. To make the resulting paths more relevant, you would then take into account the users race/class/level to determine if one path would be "safer" than another (ie. don't send an Ogre trodding through freeport to get to west commons)

Again, I'm not sure of the need for this, but thought I would offer it up as food for thought.

S_B_R
11-11-2003, 02:05 PM
I see, I forgot there are people that play EQ that are actually new to the game.. ;)

ThanosOfTitan
11-11-2003, 02:54 PM
I still have to look up zones when going to Luclin :p

Freakyuno
11-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Not only that but imagine this in dungeon type zones, or even LDoN. When I first read it, I wondered about the usefullness too, but in my mind was only considering it's use as the majority of EQ zones...

wide open outdoor zones where the zone lines are very clear and all you have to do is travel a straight line from one to the other.

With collision detection, you could plot a course between any two objects or even mobs, going around corners, up and down stairs, and even through secret walls and around certain monsters or NPC's in a dungeon if they are up, and straight through if they arent.

Mapfiend
11-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Freakyuno, I wasn't planning on getting that complex in my script (since it is being written for use on fatals mapping site), but concievably that could be done, given the location of the obstacle/mob/whatever you wanted to avoid.

I have just added maps to the script, and changed the db to handle zone locs, though I have only updated a few zones at this time. to see it in action, check out http://mapfiend.eq-toolbox.com/course.php and select Lake Rathetear as your start and Innothule Swamp as your destination. The maps that display in the results are clickable and will pop a window with a larger version of the map.

Cryonic
11-12-2003, 01:32 AM
will this include links like the PoK stones and Nexus spires?

Mapfiend
11-12-2003, 01:43 AM
lol, I'm working on special condition zones :)

curio
11-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Pathfinding is interesting. I've often wondered what zone has the farthest travel time (in number of zones) from a transport spot.

For instance:

+ West Karana would have a travel of (1) since a wizard can port you there.
+ South Karana would be a (2) since you spire/druid to NK, then zone to SK.

There's a bunch of (4)s

ToVeeshan(4): CS->SG->WW->ToV
DragonNecropolis(4): CS->SG->WW->DN
TheDeep(4): Nexus->SH->EC->theDeep
Chardokb(4): Skyfire->BW->Chardok->Chardokb
or the deeper LoY zones

Any 5s anymore? PoMischief used to be a (5) til the moved it.

Mapfiend
11-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Ok, I need info on any/all teleport mechanisms in EQ. This includes Wiz Spires, Druid Rings, any kind of stone etc that can port you to another zone.
What I would like is the zone, location, where you can port to, type (wiz spire, druid ring, stone etc), and required level (if any).

I haven't played EQ in quite a while, and never played a drood or wizzy (I was always more of a "hands on" type of guy, you know, let me get my "Hands On" his throat...) so any help yall can give me would be great.

Zaphod
11-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Mapfiend
Ok, I need info on any/all teleport mechanisms in EQ. This includes Wiz Spires, Druid Rings, any kind of stone etc that can port you to another zone.
What I would like is the zone, location, where you can port to, type (wiz spire, druid ring, stone etc), and required level (if any).

I haven't played EQ in quite a while, and never played a drood or wizzy (I was always more of a "hands on" type of guy, you know, let me get my "Hands On" his throat...) so any help yall can give me would be great.

The exact destination for all POK stones and all zone lines that occur in a zone is sent in the OP_SendZonePoints (currently 0x0230) using a payload of zonePointsStruct. ShowEQ currently just captures this information in ZoneMgr, but doesn't display it anywhere yet (I'm planning it have it display info in the tooltiop when you pause over POK doors).

As far as wizzard/druid destinations, I believe some of that information is found in spells_us.txt, although I'm not sure of the exact organization of those details in the file.

I know of a lot of people who received a come back for 14 days e-mail. Maybe you've received one at a disused e-mail address somewhere.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Mapfiend
11-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Zaphod
As far as wizzard/druid destinations, I believe some of that information is found in spells_us.txt, although I'm not sure of the exact organization of those details in the file.

You are correct, but there are only about 7 or 8 listings for teleport type spells, although it does include the name of the destination zone and the loc in that zone. I assume it also includes required level, but haven't found that data yet (There is a LOT of stuff in that file)

I know of a lot of people who received a come back for 14 days e-mail. Maybe you've received one at a disused e-mail address somewhere.

My account has been around since EQ was released, and I have reactivated it on 3 seperate occasions. I doubt I will be getting one of those come back for 14 days emails :). Although, I probably do have one of the oldest chars still "in the game". My main char is the first one I ever created.

Zaphod
11-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Mapfiend
You are correct, but there are only about 7 or 8 listings for teleport type spells, although it does include the name of the destination zone and the loc in that zone. I assume it also includes required level, but haven't found that data yet (There is a LOT of stuff in that file)
A seperate level requirement is listed for each class, starting at field 104 and encompasses a total of 15 fields (one per class). The class level fields are ordered by class id (see classes.h for the numbers) and go from Warrior -> Beastlord. I hope that helps.

My account has been around since EQ was released, and I have reactivated it on 3 seperate occasions. I doubt I will be getting one of those come back for 14 days emails :). Although, I probably do have one of the oldest chars still "in the game". My main char is the first one I ever created.

You never know. I've seen a lot of people that I wouldn't expect to receive those emails who have gotten them.

Also, if you don't mind being limited to collecting data in EQ Classic lands you can try and get one of the free UBISoft Everquest Classic (http://cmt.ubisoft.fr/eq_keys/uk/) downloads and keys to try for 30 days.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Mapfiend
11-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Also, if you don't mind being limited to collecting data in EQ Classic lands you can try and get one of the free UBISoft Everquest Classic (http://cmt.ubisoft.fr/eq_keys/uk/) downloads and keys to try for 30 days.

I did that about 2 and a half months ago, though at the time, I wasn't looking for this data, and the lag was quite bad :)

I'm pretty sure it's already available *somewhere* on the web, so I'll start checking out the resource sites, allakhazams, everlore etc.

Cryonic
11-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Try EQatlas (http://www.eqatlas.com)

Mapfiend
11-24-2003, 12:23 PM
You never know. I've seen a lot of people that I wouldn't expect to receive those emails who have gotten them.

What do you know, I get to work this morning and what's in my inbox? A "come back for 14 days" invitation, lol