PDA

View Full Version : Network issue

tenyenu
12-01-2003, 03:49 AM
First off I can run MySEQ on the same computer no problem, using the local host ip. The problem I am having is running it from another computer.

I have setup everything right, set the ip to the server computer that I run EQ on (Yes it is the proper ip) everything is up to date and I can ping my server computer with my client computer and vice versa. I have shut down all firewalls on my newtwork (xp Firewall and zone alarm)

I get this error after about 20 seconds from clicking "GO". "Could not connect to the server: A connection failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I have used the search option to no avail, and am pretty much stumped. I have a two computer gateway type network setup on my computers, hardwired with cat 5 to a linksys router/switch. I basically just can share printers, internet connection and items in shared folder on both computers. I am by no means a network expert, hell I am barely even a novice.

Any suggestions or advice would help, I know this probably a network issue not a MySEQ issue. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have no issues running a VNC server/viewer etc. on either computer.

magictiger
12-01-2003, 06:24 AM
My best guess here is to make sure your client is trying to hit port 5555. Other than that, I'm really not sure what kind of funky things are going on with your box :)

MQSEQ2
12-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Hey Tenyenu,

You did pretty good explaining your issue so I should be able to get you up and working.

1) Based on your post you state you have the the latest Client 1.15.12 and Server 1.11 with the 11/125/2003 Offsets, if not get these and try it.

2) You state it works if you run the Client/Server on the EQ machine with no problems.

3) You state you only have the issue when you try to run the Client on a sencond computer.

4) Verify your FireWall settings on both computer.

Alright here is the problem.

Your Firewall is still active. To test this try the following command using your IP Address of for the Server.

On Server machine:
1) Run Server 1.11
2) Run EQ, make sure you are in game.

On Client machine:
1) Open a DOS prompt
2) In the DOS prompt type: telnet {IP Address} 5555{Enter}
3) This should clear the screen, now hit {Enter} and you should see alot of information scroll accross the screen.
4) If this works then you have the wrong settings in the Client.
5) If you get a Connection can't be made then it's a Firewall issue.

If Firewall Issue:
Configure your FireWall so that port 5555 TCP can go in/out from your Server machine. Repeat this on the Client machine if needed.

tenyenu
12-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Another OBVIOUS stupid mistake on my part, its always the big things that get me, never the obscure little things lol. Its fixed, if your curious I set the ip in my client wrong, even after checking and rechecking that it was right ROFL, good thing I'm not a rocket scientist :)

MQSEQ2
12-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Glad to see you got it working.

I run EQ on (Yes it is the proper ip) everything is up to date

This will always throw us when helping.

JamEQ
12-05-2003, 01:22 PM
I was having a connection problem similar to this one. I followed the same procedure listed above. I was able to connect via telent but not through the client ? I have the same IP and ports listed though. Any help?

JamEQ