PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup a Linux box as a Gateway?

EpicCamp
01-30-2002, 03:02 PM
Well I've tried looking through this forum as well as well as the hackersquest.gomp.ch forums and could not find a guide to setting up a linux box to be a gateway for the EQ box other than redirects to a IP Masquerading HOWTO. And even then I didn't know what I needed to do, how I needed to do it, and so after the forum searching I figured I'd make a post.

The physical layout, from what I understand, should be setup like this.

<~ISP~>
|
[ Modem ]
|
[ Linux Box (SEQ) ]
|
[ NIC ]
|
<~Crossover CAT5~>
|
[ NIC ]
|
[ Windows Box (EQ ]

------------

From there I am able to dial-up succesfully and connect to the internet and do stuff with the Linux Box. But I have yet to figure out how to setup the sharing wiht the Windows Box so that it too has internet access. Can anyone help me by posting a more noob solution as to how to configure the Linux Box correctly?

-Epic Camp

gomped
01-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Not to be a meany or anything like that, but this isnt the place for that. You may wish to try looking for instructions at www.linux.org or at the website for your distribution.

There is a reason that this program is not designed to be easily accessible, primarily so that VI doesn't really come down on this program and mess it up for good.

Not that I have not had my share of difficulties with this program!

EpicCamp
01-30-2002, 05:30 PM
I'm glad you feel cool enough to tell me to go back out and read documentation which is generalized and I dont know what parts are relevant to what im trying to do. Which is exactly the reason I made this post, because I didnt have success with those types of documents earlier. Next time if you dont have anything relevant to my post to reply about, just ignore my post, thanks.

gomped
01-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Probably shouldn't even bother replying to this post, but seeing as how that isnt going to happen here is my reply.

Go to the linux websites and read their stuff. You are asking questions about setting up your linux box to do linux things. You are not asking a question concerning compiling, or running ShowEQ.

However I sense that you are not a linux user, or someone who is interested in Linux for any other reason but to run ShowEQ. If you read the post http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=275
the writer takes that same approach. Otherwise this board will be full of questions like how do I edit a file... what is vi and how do I use it to change stuff in the file. Why can't I run configure. What is a symbolic link? etc, etc. I don't think I am too "cool" or l337 to answer the question of a newcomer, I learned linux the hard and painful way... However, I respect THIS forum for what it is.

Since you mentioned that you checked out hackersquest for information on setting up a linux box, I guessed that you did not check the best places of all to go.. so without further ado, here is a suggestion.

Since you probably do not know how to use vi or probably don't know how to use IPChains and probably have no idea how a routing table works, my suggestion is to read a LOT. I doubt that there are many users here who are not well versed in Linux and they have a good understanding of how the internet works. These are needed to get ShowEQ working... it is not a program for windows users but for Linux users who tend to be much more knowledgeable about these things.

Here are some documents that will get you started in the right direction for setting up a linux box to be a gateway

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Firewall-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO.html

Basically what you need to do is set your linux box up to be a DHCP server, running bind and make it a firewall. Your windows computer will connect to the firewall which will route packets to the internet.

a_corpse00
01-31-2002, 01:08 PM
Oh please.

Clean install Custom Red Hat 7.2 (as per Zaphod's guide, Use Gnome instead of KDE.) with two NICs in the machine. Have 1 NIC (eth0) get its IP DHCP (or however your ISP distributes IPs) and assign the other (eth1) to some private IP, such as 192.168.1.5.

Once the setup is complete go to http://firestarter.sourceforge.net and download the latest RPM. Firestarter program will set up and configure the ipchains scripts to make your linux machine a router. In the wizard for said program, make sure to select IP Masqurading.

In your Windows machine, set your gateway to 192.168.1.5 (same IP as eth1), and the window's IP to 192.168.1.6.

Install showeq, edit the conf files and tell all your friends in game how cool you are now.

RavenCT
01-31-2002, 02:46 PM
To be quite honest, I can see how people would be frustrated in a question about basic "Networking" in a forum for "SEQ". Now, I'm not saying, don't ask for help... quite the contrary...

What I am saying is that there are forums out there SPECIFICALLY for networking issues like NAT/Firewall/etc and Linux that you would:
1) Not get flamed for asking the question
2) Probably get a much quicker responce
3) Get much more helpful information that here... That doesn't mean that the individuals here can't help you, but there looking to help others with SEQ and not all the networking issues of Linux...

I'm just as much as a noob as most anyone out there, and I spent almost three weeks the first time I started playing with this, but I never complained that someone here wouldn't answer me, or give me an answer that I didn't like...

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

If you spent the time to find SEQ in the first place, then you certainly can find the forums out there on Linux to help you with your general networking issues...

If you have a SEQ problem, I'm sure there are those out there that are more than willing to help you resolve those, but I think I read (if not in the manual, somewhere else from those that provide a lot of the help) that you need to have "a working linux configuration before you start with the install of SEQ"... or something like that :o

There is nothing more frustrating that "helping" someone, spending your time and effort, only to have them say "that's not good enough"... Remember, no one is paid to be here and help (as well as SEQ) is developed/supported on there own time.

'nuf said...

/soapbox off

Cryonic
01-31-2002, 03:23 PM
You might want to find an IPTables firewall script generator. Take advantage of the new features that come with the 2.4 kernel rather that using the older ipchains.

ipchains: non-stateful
iptables: stateful, easy to configure for NAT, etc...

a_corpse00
01-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
You might want to find an IPTables firewall script generator. Take advantage of the new features that come with the 2.4 kernel rather that using the older ipchains.

ipchains: non-stateful
iptables: stateful, easy to configure for NAT, etc...

Well, I was (half) correct:

See http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/faqview.cgi?mode=viewItem&itemNum=26

Q: Does Firestarter need a firewalling subsystem?
A: Firestarter uses the existing Linux firewalling systems, on Linux 2.2 machines this is ipchains and on Linux 2.4 and 2.5 machines it is iptables. These utilities are included with every Linux distribution.

If you recompile your kernel, be sure to enable either ipchains or iptables.

In the future Firestarter might be ported to more platforms, like BSD.

gomped
02-01-2002, 06:30 AM
I did not flame the original author, although he took it that way. I assumed due to what he wrote that he did not look anywhere else for help but hackersquest, so I gave him a polite suggestion to read elsewhere for the answers to those questions. There is absolutely no way that without knowing his setup that we can effectively answer those questions. There are others that have in this forum given exact information and asked questions that have included even diagrams of their setup. Not my fault that the person obviously has no ability to research or he would have read my original reply for what it was.