PDA

View Full Version : Please someone answer this Q

MarkJames
12-20-2001, 11:17 AM
I run RH 7.2 and i cant get this gcc thing to work properly, when i install the rpm it says it needs cpp when i install the rpm it says info versions conflict with older versions... what is that all about <sigh>

is there another linux version i could use to get it working easily OR should i install 7.2 again but not choose developer packages and install them all from fresh rpms by donwloading each one as needed.
OR can someone post an IDIOTS guide to installing all the necessary bits to get v4 working from a FULL install of RH7.2.

Please

wizard
12-20-2001, 11:43 AM
unfortunately all of the idiots guides floating around are IMO a big part of why all the upgrades needed to compile.. its a way to weed people out.

i am a Linux N00b as someone put it.. i am not a total computer N00b though. just with linux.. so it may take me an extra day or 2 to get it running.. i may ask questions.. they may get answered or not.. i have seen a few attitudes on this forum that remind me of the Hackersquest forums and why i don't post there.. people really haven;t even asked many questions yet and the n00b attitude is already coming out.

i'm reading everything i can.. if i screw something up and have to reinstall linux so be it.. not like i haven't reinstalled OS's before. i use windows for most everything so i am quite familiar with that.

and in the end if i am too stupid to make it work.. so be it.. i played the game a long time without ShowEQ. i am sure i could do it again..

-Paul

Zaphod
12-20-2001, 11:55 AM
I use the gcc3/g++3 that came with RedHat 7.2 CD's, and it works.

Make sure you have at least the following packages installed:
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

MarkJames
12-20-2001, 01:02 PM
ok i checked out those rpms on the cd and tried to install them using gnorpm they would not show up as able to install so i went to the command line and tried manually.. it says they are already installed ???

ok i can make the makefile ok and when i try ./configure && make install it gets quite a ways through untill

checking for supported compiler version... no
configure error: you need at least gcc3.0 or greater to compile showEQ

any and all help would be appreciated

in an effort to try and help myself i used these commands

rpm -q -a gcc3 of which the reply was
gcc3-3.0.1-3

??? baffled

wizard
12-20-2001, 01:14 PM
okay so it sounds to me like you are saying just use linux 7.2 because it makes life easier..

-Paul

A_happy_user
12-20-2001, 02:26 PM
You probably have installed 2 version of gcc, and it's using the 2.x one by default.

Check that easily with the following command :
update-alternatives --display gcc

if it lists 2 version of gcc, type
update-alternatives --config gcc
and choose the 3.x version
(do the same with g++ : update-alternatives --config g++)

that will modify the links you probably have in /etc/alternatives/gcc to point to the 3.x executables