PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Question

MQSEQ2
12-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Due to the recent changes with EQ strategies in cutting down on 3rd Party programs, we are being asked not to supply the .exe with our source files.

MQSEQ2
12-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Bump

seph_yaro
12-10-2003, 09:45 AM
While I do run the precompiled binaries, I do own a copy of a compiler. However, its only VB6, since thats whats needed to compile macroquest, and some small tools I use on my websites and servers.

VS.net is just too expensive!

MQSEQ2
12-10-2003, 09:58 AM
MQ uses VS C++ to compile not VB :(.

So you would still need a C compiler and you can thank Microsoft for making the cost of the products so high. Get a college ID and get a Academic version for a decent price.

Midnight
12-10-2003, 04:51 PM
IMO, ALL 3rd party software should be source only. Having a program like MQ and SEQ source only and then releasing MSEQ and things like FH's level 1 trainers just makes it all the worse. Not knocking the devs of MSEQ at all, its just that protecting who gets what has gone from decent to junk. Course people will always be able to get their hands on something compiled.. but we should be doing all we can to protect ourselves from the idiots who have made the next few weeks of our EQ lives a living hell.

sauron
12-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MQSEQ2
Due to the recent changes with EQ strategies in cutting down on 3rd Party programs, we are being asked not to supply the .exe with our source files.

Asked by whom?

MQSEQ2
12-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Just read the posts and you will see. Don't think it was Sony cause I would tell them to screw off.

slartibartfast
12-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Midnight Wrote:

IMO, ALL 3rd party software should be source only. Having a program like MQ and SEQ source only and then releasing MSEQ and things like FH's level 1 trainers just makes it all the worse. Not knocking the devs of MSEQ at all, its just that protecting who gets what has gone from decent to junk. Course people will always be able to get their hands on something compiled.. but we should be doing all we can to protect ourselves from the idiots who have made the next few weeks of our EQ lives a living hell.

Being able to compile a program doesnt stop you being an idiot. Myseq is triveal to compile, and so is ShowEQ (if you have a second computer you can install Linux on and read the FAQ).

Why do you think you should have access to MYSEQ + ShowEQ and others not? Personally I think it is a bit arrogant to think that you are better than the average EQ player just because you know how to follow a FAQ.

MySEQ should remain a source + exe release, this is the rational behind the product, open access for all.

Midnight
12-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Completely disagree.. if you can compile it on your own, the probability of people who are going to post and abuse certain things will go down. Of course there will be people who make poor decisions, regardless.. but in my opinion we should be doing all we can to make sure it's difficult for them to do so. If they're smart enough and want to take enough time to get the program working, they will get the neccessary software and compile it themselves. The less amount of people running these programs, the better.

Migs
12-11-2003, 08:10 PM
As much as my opinion probably won't matter, I'm still going to say that I can't vote on this due to the vote options, cause I do both, use exe's and compile, due to the fact that the exe's are a quick download and go, instead of download, compile, and go ;p and for those of you who might be so nice as to ask, YES i am lazy, so leave me alone =0

Back to the point, having the EXE's posted is probably a bad thing since most people getting them are going to be abusing and this project is going to render itself useless soon enough... due to legal issues with SoE.... so my suggestion is to rid the site of all EXE's. That way we can at least prolong the day of no more MySEQ =0

Time is of the essence...

MQSEQ2
12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
.Exe's wont stop anyone from abusing the program, period! If you can run nmake (comes with WinXP), which I will be making instructions on how to do this weekend.

The only thing anyone should worry about .Exe's is where they got them from, the developers release them and you can use them if you trust us or you can compile them on your own if you don't. I will tell you I have nothing to gain by exploiting the users of the program so I will provide code that want exploit the users. Remember if you use the .Exe's and you still think it might catch your login information just do the following:

1) login in to EQ all the way in to game
2) Start the MySEQ Server after that then you are safe.

If we don't compile then someone will and we won't have control over what is being done.

xeerex
12-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

First its not a legal issue. Its simply a violation of the EULA with SOE. If they catch you then they will ban you, you can't use your acct, you get another account, and play again.

Second, the major crackdown is on plat exploits due to posts on rpgexpert.com, which the SOE techs do frequent. I don't think any of us should be naive enough to think that SOE techs are unaware of ShowEQ and MySEQ either. Give me a break.

While not posting the .exe's will make it slightly more difficult for people, it won't stop SOE if they want to crack down. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard. Besides, someone will just post detailed instructions on how to compile.

The only reason I would "fear" the .exe's is if the dev's wanted to somehow exploit my pc. I don't think that's gonna happen here.

MQSEQ2
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
This is for general info not to anyone specific.

That's why we offer the code. Just remember not one of us even second guesses what Microsoft does, we are all blind fools and keep installing there junk without knowing what they are doing.

You have to trust someone sooner or later and because we are passive to EQ there not alot that MySEQ can do to hurt you in game. As stated above run it after you have your character in game.

If folks actually look at the source cod ethey will start to see comments being adding now so anyone who wants to learn it can easily figure it out.

xeerex
12-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Just wanted to add (since my above post was a little harsh due to the flu), that I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts on this project. It has given me new reason to play EQ and not a reason to exploit it.

Speaking of exploits, other than having zone alerts for rare mobs that everyone shouts in /ooc anyway or you can use a tracking class for, would someone like to clue me in as to how this program exploits the game? Personally I use it to track corpses to help people (being careful) but I have a necrotic devining device anyway. Oh yeah, I use the maps on it, but SOE provides us with maps anyway. Hmm...I can scout out rooms, but I have an Eye of Zoom or bind sight that can help with that.

Anyway just my rambles with a 102 fever.

I just read the dumbass MQ post on the SOE board. That is what gets everyone in trouble. Showing it off in obvious places and bragging.

dsavereide
12-17-2003, 02:44 AM
The less amount of people running these programs, the better.

If you were one of those people who could no longer run the program would you feel the same? I'm a software engineer, but we don't use C/C++. I'm not shelling out for a C compiler just for this. Exe's make the program accessible.

MQSEQ2
12-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Starting with 1.15.14 we are supplying Compile.Bat which will compile the Client.

Becuase we converted the project to C# 2003 which uses .Net Framework 1.1, you can compile your own .Exe without the need of the full blown Visual Studio. >net Framework comes with CSC which is the C# compiler. Read the Current Version Thread in the Help area to find out how to use the Compile.Bat.

Once I complete the 2.x series we will have batch files for both Client and Server.

For those who haven't read any of my posts on MQ site take some time to read them because they have alot of information explaining why .Exe won't prevent abuse and why Sony will have a hard time preventing the use of these programs. If you abuse and don't learn how to use the programs without being detected your going to get banned. Use common sense and remember with MySEQ, everyone can see what your doing.