PDA

View Full Version : Back and forth problems

Kylosv2
12-20-2003, 07:31 AM
I am a new user and have seq setup on 2 machines so I can runin background or from one box to another. The problem I am having is that I can watch one computer from the other but cant go back. Like I can see Comp1 from Comp2, but when I try to connect to Comp2 from Comp1 it gives me the error:

Could not attempt to connect to the server: A connectoin attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond Try selecting a different server!

I am using the IP address that I get from ipconfig at command prompt and it is correct cause when I connect from that computer its the ip address that taps in. I just cant figure out what is causing me to not be able to connect to the computer. Any ideas?

MQSEQ2
12-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Use this for example:

Comp A IP = 192.168.1.1
Comp B IP = 192.168.1.2

If Comp A is the Server then Comp B will be configured to use
Comp A's IP in the Client Configuration.

If Comp B is the Server then Comp A will be configured to use
Comp B's IP in the Client Configuration.

1) Now is there any FireWalls in use?
2) Have you read the troubleshooting help guild, on how to use telnet to check things?
3) Have you turned on Error logging?

jag111
12-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Are you trying to run the client and server on both computers at the same time, each connecting to the other, and both using the same server port?

MQSEQ2
12-20-2003, 11:16 AM
That's a good point Jag, you cant have 2 Clients pointing to the same Server, since the server is hardcoded to use port 5555. The server can only service one client per port.

xeerex
12-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Like I can see Comp1 from Comp2, but when I try to connect to Comp2 from Comp1

Sounds like that is what he is trying to do. Connecting the 2 clients to the same server simultaneously.

jag111
12-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Actually, what it sounded like to me was that he's running the server and EQ on both machines. Also on both machines, he's running the client to connect to the other machine with. But in both instances of the client and server, they're all using the same port.

Kylosv2
12-20-2003, 05:18 PM
First off, I am not trying to run 2 instances of seq at one time from on computer to the other. I either have one as server and one as client or switch the roles so that there is only 1 server 1 client.

Secondly, MYSEQ2 -

1) There are no firewalls that I am aware of, its a machine I built and unless there is someway to block it from windows XP setup I didnt do it intentionally.

2) No I have not read the troubleshooting help guide on how to check things with telnet, where is that located? I will look for it after making this post.

3) No I do not have error logging on, I am only semi literate as far as computers go but learn fairly quickly. Where do I turn it on, what does it do, and how do I interpret the information I get from it?

Finally, I think I may have inadvertently setup something wrong with the initial install of XP and done something wrong with file sharing on the computer. I had similiar problems when trying to build LAN games for Diablo2 and Ghost Recon when I play those. I can set them up on one computer and dial in from all, but none of the other computers can hook into games created on Problem_Machine_01. I will look into windows file sharing and try to compare the two computers setup and internet security options. So any other ideas on whats wrong?

showme1
12-20-2003, 05:36 PM
1) There are no firewalls that I am aware of, its a machine I built and unless there is someway to block it from windows XP setup I didnt do it intentionally.

There is infact a built in firewall in win XP and it is enabled by default. If you have never turned it off that is the problem you're having. right click on my network places and go to properties, right click on your internt connection and go to properties again, thenselect the advanced tab. remove the the check mark from the box that says protect my computer and netowrk bleh bleh bleh.... hit ok and that should fix ya up

MQSEQ2
12-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Post the IP Addresses for both machines (if they don't start with 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, then don't post them here send me a PM with the info, for your protection)

There should be a Sticky note in the Help Forum that shows the walk thru on how to test the Serve rwith Telnet.

To turn on Error logging, Hit F1 in the Client then set Logging to 1 then Click OK, Then click Go. Post the log file if the log directory.