PDA

View Full Version : OT - RH 7.2 Preventing the monitor from blanking

Zmodem
02-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Greetings,

I've been trying to figure this out, and cannot if it kills me. I'm running SEQ and let my system sit there without moving the mouse for a few mins, and my monitor blanks. Almost like going into a powersave mode. This really annoys me. I've tried setting all the known Xwindows settings, but nothing works.

Anyways, I've tried to research this but have had no luck. I have tried the command "setterm -blank" command but nothing. I even put it in the rc.local in /etc/rc.d and nothing. In 3 mins, the screen goes bank again. Anyone out there who could help me out?

Thanks,

-Z

S_B_R
02-02-2002, 12:07 PM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334

to Quote Martha Stewart:
"The Search function, it's a good thing"

BlueAdept
02-03-2002, 08:33 AM
I found the easiest way to prevent the monitor from blanking is to run xwin as a user and then just SU to run SEQ.

For security reasons you should never really run your main session as root, but besides that, then all your screen savers work (some of them are really cool).

maco2580
02-15-2002, 10:26 AM
I have the same issue, does anyone know how to turn this function off?

Mr Guy
02-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Xset settings don't work for me. The problem for me seems to be that my monitor is an "Energy Star" compliant thing, and IT is turning itself off, not the computer. It turns off at the command prompt, the login screen, or during xwindows.

I run as a user and SU in a dedicated term window to run Showeq. Anyone know where I might look to tweak the monitor?

I'd list what kind it is but I don't have that handy at work.

S_B_R
02-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr Guy
Anyone know where I might look to tweak the monitor?

I'd list what kind it is but I don't have that handy at work.

I'd suggest the Manufacturers Website....? Also look in your BIOS for any "APM", "Power Management", or "Energy Star" features, if there is turn them off. :D

BlueAdept
02-15-2002, 05:10 PM
In RH linux if you right click on the background and go to properties, it will bring you to where you can set the screen saver. In there are the settings for turning off the monitor.

Catt
02-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Look in: /etc/XF86Config-4

Look for: Option "dpms"

Remove it!

fryfrog
02-15-2002, 11:08 PM
i change the "dpms" thing from "on" to "off" personally, dunno if that is the same thing as removing it or not... but it works ;)

Birchwood
04-10-2002, 10:49 PM
I use 2 commands to disable screen blanking in RH7.2
xset s off
xset -dpms
after I do these 2 commands my monitor doesn't blank any more.
Hope this helps.:D

AlphaBeta
09-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Ok guys help me out here. :(

I have done it all and still can't keep my screen from blanking.. There is nothing in BIOS for this as a setting and the system works fine when running windows 98SE so its got to be a Redhat thing. Thus far I have done:

xset s off
xset -dpms
removed dpms from etc/XF86Config-4
xset s 0 0
xset s noblank

I could live with the blanking I guess but when the screen blanks I also lose my mouse and it never comes back. this I can't live with.. HELP! :confused:

Dedpoet
09-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Check in the little Redhat control panel thingy. There is a section on power management and it has a monitor blanking setting. Also check if you have the blank screensaver turned on.

AlphaBeta
09-10-2002, 11:31 AM
I am almost sure power management is turned off but I will check it to be sure. I know the screen saver is is not set for a fact so its not that.

AlphaBeta
09-11-2002, 08:23 AM
No power management is turned off. Sigh :(

Looks like I am stuck with it unless anyone can think of something else to try?

Dedpoet
09-11-2002, 09:18 AM
AlphaBeta, this is a shot in the dark, but is this a laptop you are talking about? I run Seq on a Dell laptop, and it has a whole separate screen in the BIOS for power management, with separate sections for running on AC power, or from battery.

Otherwise I'm stumped. Sorry...:(

Aurelius
09-12-2002, 09:27 AM
This is the procedure that I use every time I reboot or restart the linux box:

login as a user;
(I use the KDE face)
open a terminal window as a super user;
then type "xset -dpms" enter
then type "xset s off" enter
then start up SEQ. My monitor does not automatically close down now.
As I usually leave my linux box up and running, when I am not in game, I turn the above xset settings back on until I want to play again. ("xset +dpms" and "xset s on" and the screen will shortly go into energy conservation mode by blanking.

Nothing elaborate but my two coppers worth.

AlphaBeta
09-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Yes I do use a compaq laptop. But I am sorry to say its not like the Dell bios (I do work in IT) and no there are no settings turned on for power management at all. I am going to try switching over to KDE and see if that makes a diffrence or not. Wish me luck.

Mag@@
09-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by AlphaBeta
Yes I do use a compaq laptop. But I am sorry to say its not like the Dell bios (I do work in IT) and no there are no settings turned on for power management at all. I am going to try switching over to KDE and see if that makes a diffrence or not. Wish me luck.

I can relate - my Compaq 1694 absolutely refused to cooperate with the install, and after some considerable digging, found that the 1694 is not Linux friendly at all. Not sure which model you have, and my experience may be isolated to that particular model. Good luck~