PDA

View Full Version : password stealing

cmore
02-02-2002, 10:03 PM
several times now I have had some unknown person log on my toon. twice when i was sitting right by where he was camped, and several times get some failed log in msgs when i log him in. It seems to only happen on the one that I am watching with the linux box. I have, of course, started changing my password often. As of now, I change it every time i get a zone decode, since supposably any time you zone the password is sent. Since then, all i have gotten is failed login msgs when i log in, like someone is trying to use one of my old passwords.

1) Possibilities - virus, showeq, eqlib?

2) comments?

Cryonic
02-03-2002, 03:47 AM
Password for your account should only be sent while logging in. Solution, don't run SEQ while you are logging in.

You could also turn the nic off in the linux box and then cut the transmit pairs in the cable and bring the interface back up without an IP address. Reason, SEQ will not be able to transmit. Of course I seriously doubt that SEQ is the culprit of your dilemma.

-----------------------------------------
Disclaimer:

Do this at your own risk, no warranty or liability is mine for you doing this.

:p

------------------------------------------

fryfrog
02-03-2002, 03:54 AM
i also seriously doubt that this is the case. if seq were being used for password stealing (and i'm assuming you aren't using some funky libeq.a file) i think a LOT more people would be seeing the issue :)

if all else fails, you can do the above or even go though the source code and see what is being used.

casey
02-03-2002, 06:21 AM
3) you are paranoid and VI temporarily suspended your account for suspicious activity because the password was being changed everytime you zoned

I have, of course, started changing my password often. As of now, I change it every time i get a zone decode, since supposably any time you zone the password is sent. Since then, all i have gotten is failed login msgs when i log in, like someone is trying to use one of my old passwords.

4) you dont make much sense

5) you keep telling your roomate your password when you change it, and he goes and updates his guild with the new logon info

6) your online "friend" isnt so friendly

really, of all the possible problems, showeq is the least likely, unless you compiled against a trojaned libeq, but you do read all the instructions before you do things right? so thats not a possibility .........

cmore
02-03-2002, 12:53 PM
thanks for the replies.

Even yours casey. I appreciate all the work you guys have done. If I can relieve some of your stress by your venting at me, so much the better.

Yes I read the instructions. And followed them to the letter. And realize that I am being paranoid. And realize that its highly unlikely. And havent given the passwords to anyone. And just wanted to put a feeler out, since if it really was a problem I would have gotten someone else on a reply. I didn't, so its kosher.

Thanks.

fryfrog
02-04-2002, 03:19 AM
might want to look and see if maybe you have a keylogger trojan or something on your system. i wouldn't be surprized if there were ones tailored for eq that waited till eq was started, then started logging keys.