PDA

View Full Version : No connectivity...

Calon1
01-09-2004, 04:49 PM
I've come up with some problems, and have attempted at using the "Read first" and used the "How to" to install... need to make sure I'm doing things properly. Realize that I am not a computer savvy person (appologies) so my problem is likely extremely noobish.

I did everything according to the How too, ran it for the first time, loaded EQ up, picked a Char, then started the client... (for the first time). I did the F1, entered the IP address to my server computer, then selected it. I get about a 30 second lock/pause, then I get the following message:
--------------------------------------
Could not select server: Unknown error (0x274c)
Try selecting a different server.
--------------------------------------

So, I entered a different IP address and switched between the two. Same reaction from the Client program.

I started Serfing and found the READ FIRST forum and so I tried to do this next.

As for:
-----------------------------------------
Checking if the Client can talk to the Server:
===============================
1) Start the Server on the EQ machine
2) Start a DOS window on the Server machine
3) Type: netstat -a{Enter}
4) Look for Port 5555 is Listening
5) Type: telnet {IP Address} {Port}{Enter}
6) Hit {Enter}
7) You should see data scrolling down the screen.
---------------------------------------------------------
I typed telnet {IP Addy of my client computer} 5555 (and hit enter)

I got the following:
Connecting to {IP Address of Client comp}...Could not open connection to the host on, on port 5555.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Now, for the Client computer tests:
Checking the Client Setup:
===================
1) When you run the client do you get any errors?
2) Once inside the client did you set the options? If not hit F1.
3) Verify the IP address is set to the Server's IP Address (I've heard it many times that they have and it has been IP Address)
4) Verify the Port is set to 5555
6) Set Logging to 1
7) Click OK
8) Click GO
9) Do you see anything in the Client?
10) Did the Server show a new connection from the Client IP Address?
-------------------------------------------------------
Here are my problems:
1. Did
2. Did
3. Verified, twice three and four times.
4. Port 5555, yes thats what it says.
no step 5.
6. Did
7, 8 Did
9. No changes, same Error msg:
--------------------------------------------------
Could not select server: Unknown error (0x274c)
Try selecting a different server.
---------------------------------------------------
10. Server window still says "Waiting for new connection"

I feel that the client check was futile because it was seeming like there is a connection issue between my two computers by the test ran previously on the server computer. I am just not sure I ran it correction and do not know how to interpret the error message or how to respond to it.

Would appreciate any advice, comments and/or opinions.

MQSEQ2
01-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok you found the stuff but misinturpted the steps a little:

Checking if the Client can talk to the Server:
===============================
1) Start the Server on the EQ machine
2) Start a DOS window on the Server machine
3) Type: netstat -a{Enter}
4) Look for Port 5555 is Listening
5) Type: telnet {IP Address} {Port}{Enter}
6) Hit {Enter}
7) You should see data scrolling down the screen.
I typed telnet {IP Addy of my client computer} 5555 (and hit enter)

I got the following:
Connecting to {IP Address of Client comp}...Could not open connection to the host on, on port 5555.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

In Step 5 you must enter the IP Address of the Server not the Client (Only the Server will listen to port 5555).

In the Client you put the IP Address ot the Server then try hitting Ctrl + 1 to select the IP Address for server slot 1.

Also turn on logging by setting Logging to 1 in the Options (F1).

Then once you get your log file post it here.

Calon1
01-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Correctly doing the telnet command gets me this on my server window:

New connection from {IP Address of server comp}
found - pid 3400

Log file contents:

01/09/2004 17:37:36:52 - MySEQ Version: 1.15.16
01/09/2004 17:37:36:57 - Loaded Prefs.Xml
01/09/2004 17:37:36:57 - Loading MacroQuestPanel
01/09/2004 17:37:37:12 - Creating the Docking Manager
01/09/2004 17:37:37:89 - Loading Bitmap into ImageList
01/09/2004 17:37:38:16 - Creating SpawnList Window
01/09/2004 17:37:39:10 - Creating Spawn Timer List
01/09/2004 17:37:39:10 - Creating MQConsole Window
01/09/2004 17:37:39:65 - Loading Position.Xml
01/09/2004 17:39:33:45 - Could not connect to the server: Unknown error (0x274c)
01/09/2004 17:41:10:84 - Could not connect to the server: Unknown error (0x274c)

MQSEQ2
01-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Now on your Client computer run Steps 5 & 6 and see if you can connect via telnet.

If that works then the Client should work if it fails then you may have a Firewall issue or something.

Can your Client machine ping the Server machine?

Calon1
01-09-2004, 07:15 PM
When I do "C:\>netstat -a" on my client computer, I cannot see a port 5555, but not sure that I'm supposed to.

When I type this in a command box on my client computer:
C:\>telnet {Sever IP Address} 5555

I get a notpad looking box pop up called Telnet - (None) and about a 15 second pause, then this error message:

Could not open a connection to {Server IP Address}

During this procedure I had the server window up on my server computer, but did not have Everquest running at the time.

Calon1
01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Is the problem that maybe my two computers are not communicating? I have windows 98 on the client computer and WinXP on the server computer. I could probably get some assistance elsewhere from friends if c2c comms are my problem.

I think that I have them networked (lol, sad I know). I have a green light on my DSL modem under "Local Network". My Internet connection is DSL(Wall) to DSL Modem, modem to Hub, hub to computers. I run EQ at the same time on them without problems.

MQSEQ2
01-09-2004, 07:23 PM
The C:\>netstat -a is for the Server machine only. The server is the only program that listens for new connections and the netstat looks at the computer and shows all the ports that the machine is listen too which will accept communications from other programs(ie. Port 80 on a web server is the port it will listen for html traffic on).

on the Client machine type this:

C:>ping {Server IP Address}

If it says Request Timedout then you have a problem with the two machinces talking to each other.

If you have time to chat via Yahoo I will get you up and going tonight. Contact me at Yahoo by MQSEQ.

Calon1
01-09-2004, 07:44 PM
rgr, contacted and awaiting reply.

Calon1
01-10-2004, 12:13 AM
MQSEQ2, I owe you big. A HUGE Thanks for all your assistance. Its uncommon these days to find people willing to help others just out of kindness. /bow

Calon1

MQSEQ2
01-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Your Welcome.

The resolution to this issue was the XP machine had the built in Firewall still enabled (it's enabled by defualt.

Squiffy
01-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Trying to get myseq set up on my girlfriend's PC (pain in the ass doing it over the phone, lemme tell ya) and she's running into the same error.

Both PCs have Windows firewall off, and neither has any 3rd party firewall running. Are there any other things that could cause it?

She's also getting the "actively refused" part, her port 5555 is listening via netstat -a on the server, IP addresses set correctly. She says when she did telnet client -> server and server -> server they both connected fine, but error logging in the myseq client says "actively refused" when trying to connect to the server, and she says it's the same IP and port as she tried telnetting.

MQSEQ2
01-13-2004, 09:28 PM
That's because you don't have the Win XP Firewall turned off or there is some other Firewall doing it.

Go to the Advanced tab under the Local Area Connection Properties and uncheck the Internet Connection Firewall option. Then Click OK to accept and close all windows.