Exo
12-20-2001, 01:13 PM
Wow. I've been compiling GCC3 for the last 3 hours :P

Anyone know if you can just use the rpms? I tried with
gcc-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
gcc-c++-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
gcc-g77-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
cpp-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
but got an error to the affect of "C++ compiler can not make executables" when I ran the ./configure. I tested it out with some other things and gcc could in fact produce working binaries so I went back to the 2.96-98 version of gcc and I'm currently building a new GCC off of GNU's latest cvs.

Can someone stop me if I'm going down the wrong path :P

RavenCT
12-20-2001, 01:19 PM
While your looking... does anyone know if there's an RPM of QT2.3.2?

I'm not looking forward to the amount of time it's going to take to compile that too...

Exo
12-20-2001, 01:21 PM
Even if there was a rpm for qt-2.3.2 it wouldn't work for this. Your going to have to compile your own qt but I'm not sure you have to compile GCC (which is what I'm doing now)

RavenCT
12-20-2001, 01:23 PM
Well, I got GCC and all it's support installed without a problem... like I said, I'm just not looking forward to the compile of QT.... It's going to take a while... I might need to shave a couple of times before it's done ;)

Oh well, it was worth asking.

showeqnewb
12-20-2001, 03:30 PM
where did you get gcc3 and qt from?

high_jeeves
12-20-2001, 03:43 PM
GCC is located at gcc.gnu.org
QT is located at www.trolltech.com

Exo
12-20-2001, 03:47 PM
Well GCC3 and C++3 are built and working! Yeah!

I'm now building QT.

Now, I'd like a statment from the team on if this was done intentionaly to make it hard to install.

I'm not bitching either way but there where some MINOR changes that atleast I had to make to the QT src to get it to build with GCC3 and C++3. And I'd like to point them out if it wasn't intentionally done that way to weed people out (which I'm against anyway but I'm willing to respect the wishes of Ratt and his team).

high_jeeves
12-20-2001, 03:48 PM
What changes did you have to make to build QT? Mine built straight out of the tarball, no problem.

Exo
12-20-2001, 03:53 PM
Well actually it's not a src change per say, more of a config file change to linux-g++-shared.

Don't want to go into more details for two reasons; the first being I'm not sure Ratt didn't make it hard on purpose and second mine isn't done building yet and I'd hate to post it and have people trying only to have my build fail after 2 hours.

high_jeeves
12-20-2001, 04:02 PM
I really dont think they require gcc3 and qt2.3.2 to make things difficult. I have seen valid reasons for both. I didnt have to change the config file because I removed the references to gcc2.96 and replaced them with gcc3... atleast until that gives me problems with something else :D.

Exo
12-20-2001, 04:57 PM
That was my thought on it .. I don't see why Ratt would need a compiler upgrade to make things hard though I'm still not sure how a threaded QT compile is different than a normal one (that's the focus of my learning at this point, it works but I want to know why :P )

It's obvious though you know what changes I'm talking about, they are somewhat less global than the route you took and I don't know or trust gcc3 enough to do that yet.

WOOOO!!!! QT just started linking! :)

Yendor
12-20-2001, 06:03 PM
Well best guess that I can make is that you have to use a version qt that was built with gcc 3. I think this is due to name mangling issues in c++ libraries. This may only apply to RedHat who used a bogus 2.96 gcc. Yet another reason this move was a bad idea (it was dumb of RH to use 2.96 development compiler as well... why do people alway try to use the bleeding edge when not necessary).

I could be wrong. Under RedHat 7.2 I just tried using qt 2.3.2 rpm from the rawhide branch (redhat development) and it fails to link with basic qt functions not found, same error when I force it to use qt 2.3.1. So I guess I will build qt myself like everyone else. Seems like an unneeded hassle as it has potential for making a machine difficult to use for other development (re: gcc 3 that is). There is almost no legimate reason to use gcc 3 at this point in time. But whatever, they will do what they want. I suppose if I really cared I'd dig into the code and see what gcc 3 features they were abusing and fix it to do something else. But I will just conform to what they say we have to do and once I have it working I won't care. It just means we all have to put up with much unnecessary traffic on these boards trying to help people sort out what they need to do. Sooner or later someone will just produce a precompiled rpm and post it all over and defeat the whole point of this.

Forgive my ranting.

Now on to compiling qt... hope I have enough disk space.

Exo
12-20-2001, 06:31 PM
Well .... just finished the qt compile and hit another snag :confused: in the ./configure

checking for deque.h... no
configure: error: cannot find deque.h

anyone seen this one before?

Exo
12-20-2001, 06:57 PM
did a little research and it seems that the ./configure is telling me it can't find a libstdc++ that it likes.

Now this could be because I have GCC 3.0.2 and GCC3 3.0.1. Now for GCC3 I have libstdc++3-3.0.1 to go with it but I didn't have libstdc++-3.0.2 to go with my GCC compiler. My knee jerk reaction was to get a new libstdc++ but then I realized that Showeq should be compiling with GCC3 anyway, not GCC (which is missing the libstdc++). Everyone with me so far ... good.

SO, I think an easy fix would be to move GCC3 into GCC's spot (something I wanted to avoid doing) and doing the configure again but something tells me there is another way that I'm not seeing.

Any further direction is welcome as I continue to work at this.

If nothing else this thread shows I'm working and learning :P

monster69
12-20-2001, 07:51 PM
Instead of moving GCC around just change your symbolic links on gcc and g++ to point to the new gcc-3.0.2 and g++-3.0.2 files.

Exo
12-20-2001, 08:46 PM
so what symlinks are used. I assumed that it pointed to /usr/bin where the binaries are but if it points to a symlink somewhere else (useful) that would be the answer to my problems. Guess I'll dig around and see if I can find that.

Mr Guy
12-20-2001, 09:28 PM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52

Exo
12-20-2001, 10:23 PM
okay Mr. Guy, I justwent back and read that thread (had already read it before) and don't see what part is supposed to help me solve a error finding deque.h

I even went so far as to follow his instructions a second time around step by step but ended up with the same error. What is it that you think I'm missing?

Exo
12-21-2001, 02:22 AM
Okay, I don't know exactly what my problem was but I ditched everything (including the QT build I had) and started over and everything seems to be going smoothly. I'm off to bed, I'll let you guys know how it turned out in the morning.

Exo
12-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Woot! Everything worked fine for me! I like the new spell timer, it is a god send for my enchanter! I'm gonna work up a patch for it soon to add a little more functionality to it (my first patch :) )

While I'm at it let me touch on a few snags I hit when I installed

RedHat 7.2, clean install.

I downloaded the following RPM's
gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i385.rpm

and installed them with

rpm -ivh --force *rpm

I then downloaded the QT tar ball into the /usr/local dir and untared it

I renamed the qt dir to /usr/local/qt

./configure -thread

make

watched braveheart

ate dinner

took a shower

went to bed

got up and downloaded the ShowEQ cvs

failed on configure for QT

typed

QTDIR=/usr/local/qt

and tried configure again

Failed on gcc3 check

I checked my installed rpm's and still some 2.96-98 gcc stuff installed so I removed all that

made these two symlinks in my /usr/bin dir

ln --symbolic gcc gcc3
ln --symbolic g++ g++3

./configure failed on libEQ.a

Downloaded the latest and greatest per the README.libEQ and placed a copy into /usr/local/lib

./configure and make both went fine

make install (has this ever failed for anyone :P ) went fine too

/usr/bin/showeq

FAILED GAH!

added the following lines to .profile

QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

then I ran

source .profile

and tried /usr/local/bin/showeq and it launched!

Launched ShowEQ and hit monitor next and it didn't grab the session tried it afew more times and still nothing then I ran

/usr/local/bin/showeq --ip-address=123.123.123.123

and it picked up right away and has been working all day.

Thanks to everyone that helped out!

chickenfry
12-29-2001, 07:20 PM
Ok this maybe dumb. Everything is going smooth. However, I am running linux 6.2. When I try to do ./configure -thread, tells me that environmental variable is not set correctly that needs to point to usr/local/qt. Cant find my .profile or .login to make the change........or is that the makefile in 6.2?

As you can see I am a noob. Just need the loc of the .profile.

casey
12-30-2001, 05:46 AM
Failed on gcc3 check

I checked my installed rpm's and still some 2.96-98 gcc stuff installed so I removed all that

made these two symlinks in my /usr/bin dir

ln --symbolic gcc gcc3
ln --symbolic g++ g++3

rather than mucking with your systems default compiler, you could have also chosen to do

./configure CC=gcc3 CXX=g++3

and on a side note, its much easier to type ln -s, rather than ln --symbolic :)

grenge
01-01-2002, 04:42 AM
i have a kinda stupid question :( where is this .profile located?

casey
01-01-2002, 05:48 AM
your home directory, if it doesnt exist, just create it.

orenwolf
01-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Any particular reason you didn't just set your compiler Environment variables and build from the Source RPM?