PDA

View Full Version : MySEQ Website has moved!!!!!!

MQSEQ2
02-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Do to the coninueing issues with the SourceForge site going up and down and/or running extermly slow, I have decided to move the site to:

*EDITED BY RATT*

MQSEQ2's version of MySEQ is no longer valid nor supported. Do NOT support his version of MySEQ.

MySEQ will always be *FREE*

*END EDIT*

Please do not post anything here and start using the new site. I will move some of the stuff over the next couple of days. Please register at the new site so we can also be more proactive when new Client/Server/Offsets updates are available.

Ratt
02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
I realize that the SF site is slow... and I would like to move off it myself. But let me explain why it's bad to move it off a public site like SF.

Cavemanbob was the one that started MySEQ, but has pretty much faded out of the project, at least for a time. MQSEQ is big into doing the project now, but what happens when he fades out? Who's going to maintain and pay for the site? Sure, it might change hands a time or two, but eventually it will lapse, or there will a conflict of interest, someone will get mad, etc... and the MySEQ site you have now will be torn between warring factions, or taken down out of spite, or any number of things.

I originally wanted to put the SEQ site on a private host, but was convinced after much gnashing of teeth that in the long run, it would be bad.

I know it sucks that SF's web servers are so shoddy, but you are slitting your own throats of the MySEQ project over the course of time. SF if free, and the "torch" can be passed to someone new when the current developer(s) no longer with to maintain the project. If I were to get mad and take my ball and go home, everyone who's worked on the project, and relies on the project would still be able to come to the SF project page and carry on as usual. That's something that would have a very difficult time happening if it were hosted (and paid for) by a private party.

Another issue to consider is the legal ramifications of privately hosting what you have. Sony is a big company, they have tried several times to muscle SEQ out of SourceForge, but thanks to the wonderful legal team at VA Linux and the power that is SF, we are still here. A small private hosting company is NOT going to go to bat for you when it comes to a Mega-billion dollar multinational company knocking on their door. They will kick you to the curb faster than you can shake a stick. Given the nature of the project, there are also other legal ramifications you should consider. I don't know where MQSEQ, CMB, Slartibartfast live, but if it's in the US, whoever just registered those domain names or pays for the website will be providing a paper trail for Sony or another entity to track you down and use legal means (however illegal, or unethical they may be) to stop your project as well.

It's up to you guys, of course... and if you wish to go off on your own, I wish you the best of luck. I may take what MySEQ is and create a SF version of it (WinSEQ? :) ) just as a backup and try to keep it maintained and in sync with MySEQ, possibly adding some of my own stuff. My time is pretty limited now adays, so this may not work out, and I'd much prefer if MySEQ actually used the CVS as well... but to each his own.

Whatever ya'll decide to do, I hope it works out best for you. Just wanted to throw out some advice from someone who's been there and back several times over the past 4 years.

cavemanbob
02-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Good point Ratt and I agree, MQSEQ2 is running the show for the most part at this point and SF has been crappy lately so I don't blame him for the change. Personally I still prefer SF, especially in the case of patch days where usage goes through the roof and I should have been using CVS from the start... Setting bad precidents is, well bad. :)

domesticbeer
02-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Moving it is fine but damn the site doesnt even work.... I keep getting cannot find server errors.

SlowNLazy
02-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Irony is that the forums on your new site are down and SF is hummin along.....

MQSEQ2
02-11-2004, 11:11 PM
No feelings were meant to get hurt over the moving of the site. It got to the point of taking 5 to 10 mins to read and reply to a single post. As for leaving it on a SF site I had setup the myseqproject.sourceforge.net site (didn't really do anthing with it tho).

We moved it only because all SF sites are taking a bad hit on performance and yes we had a server issue a few times throughout the day but we got it back up fairly quick. We had 100 to 132 active users on the site for hours.

If SF ever gets it stuff figured out then it can come back with no biggie. I haven't really seen anyone mind the move since most folks only come to the site on patch day anyways :(.

As for legal stuff, SoE don't have any grounds to shut anything down and that's why SEQ has been around for many years. The SEQ projects are not breaking any legal laws. The projects are not causing SOE to loose any income directly because of them and in fact it's making them money since alot of the folks using these programs would not be playing the game and paying the monthly fees.

The only thing I have done wrong (if you want to call it that) is not talking to CMB and Ratt before the move. CMB should have admin type rights at the new site so it's not like we hijacked the project becuase as I had stated in some of my post here if I wanted to do that I would have my own WinSEQ (hehe i like your name) and it would be closed source and making me money. All the code is still located at the same places and all the source code is available for viewing/modifying by anyone. We have actually setup the new location to have Dev/Tester/Moderaters so we can have more input from folks before we release the code to general public (aka fight the fires before they are blazes).

I have not removed anything on the SF site so if anyone wants to maintain it here then I have no problems with it. No hard feelings if folks want to move it back here and continue on with the 1.x stuff here but I will split off the 2.x to the new site. I can even rewrite the 2.x Client code if needed. Like I said it really don't matter to me onwe way or the other.

The move was in good intention to help the project move to the next stage of supporting it. As most folks have seen the projects go stale for awhile till someone steps up to do something to quick start it agian. Right now I'm the flavor of the month but we are getting a larger user base (1500+ that we can see now) and we have gotten folks exicited and wanting to participate more.

I leave it up to CMB to decide what he wants us to do with the project since he started it.

xeerex
02-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Guess I'll add my 2 cents worth here as well.

I had offered to host the forum months ago due to performance issues with the SF site as well as functional issues. Granted SF may be free, but my hosting is paid up for the next 2 years so the project will be there at least that long. Even if I lose interest in EQ and MySEQ, the site can stay unless the community decides to move.

As far the legal ramifications, SOE can threaten, but it would only be a civil suit which would go nowhere. The only violation would be if they choose to ban our accounts (specifically mine) since it is only a EULA violation which is only a contractual agreement to use the software. I'm willing to take that chance because its not that big of a deal to me.

On the technical side, the upside to using a private host is just that it is privately controlled. We had some issues (and may have a few more), but someone can get on the phone with tech support and solve it. I'm even willing to fork out the $$ to move us up to SQL Server with enough bandwidth to support all the users we could ever hope for even if it means hosting on my own personal server.

We have had a lot of posts thanking us for the move plus emails and IM's and PM's. That is the spirit of the community and that is why we moved and I agreed to host it.

If the community as a whole wants to move somewhere else, then I will freely give the database to MQSEQ or whomever, and help in any way.

Ratt
02-15-2004, 10:45 AM
You guys seemed to have missed my point(s)...

There's no hard feelings at all. I was just giving you guys a bit of advice.

I never said that SOE has/had a leg to stand on legally... but can YOU afford to prove it? It's not a matter of who's right when it comes to legal action, it's a matter of who has the most money. Unless you are an independantly wealthy philanthropist, I don't think you can (or at least wouldn't want) to fight SOE in court over the issue. And I'm willing to bet your hosting provider doesn't want to put up the $$ to fight either, they'd rather capitulate and kick a potential problem off their server.

I'm not saying this is going to happen at all. I'm just saying it's possible. It may never come to that, and you'll be fine. I'm just relating what's happened in the past with SOE vs SEQ.

Anyway, I know what you mean about SF being sucky. Believe me, not a day goes by I don't consider moving it to one of my private hosts. The problem with leaving it privately controlled, though, is that sometimes people get vindictive. I'm not saying any of you would do that, but it's possible... and there's a lot of damage that can be done to a project by one person in control of a private host.

I'm the only person with control over the SF message boards, so potentially I could wipe the whole message base, but that's about the extent of my damage I could do. I can't do anything to the CVS, even if I poisoned the current CVS, someone else could just roll it back.

Well, that's all I wanted to point out. Again, like I said, ya'll are welcome to do what you want, and I may try to keep "WinSEQ" in sync with MySEQ. I haven't decided what I'm going to do on that front.

cavemanbob
02-17-2004, 02:31 AM
The ironic part I think is that the board was moved to a new server to provide better service, but since then I've found it to be down more often then the SF one...

xeerex
02-17-2004, 08:13 AM
CMB,

The really ironic part is that your statement is simply not true. Since Friday, 13th, there has been 0 downtime. Even though I was out of town over the weekend, I checked the site and consistentently had 0.500 or faster page returns.

Yesterday (2/16/04), we actually moved to a new server. The nice thing is that I was able to mass email everyone with a notice, as well as post a "locked forums" notification and provide a direct offsets download link on the notification. As planned, the site is back up and running fine now.

As long as users continue to post, IM, and PM with positive comments on the website, then I know that we are doing a good job. If people don't like the site, then they can simply come back here and try.

==========

Ratt,

There are no hard feelings at all, and at least I have defenitely received your point.

/repeat my last post

Resiliant
02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Wednesday, February 18th, 2004. Patch Day. MySeq Down. Tried to log into the forum to get latest inf file. DNS error: Cannot find Server or DNS error.

This is reliable?

I think not.

xeerex
02-18-2004, 09:23 AM
The host is having a DNS issue or else SOE is doing a DoS attack. :rolleyes:

Wednesday, February 18th, 2004. Patch Day. MySeq Down. Tried to log into the forum to get latest inf file. DNS error: Cannot find Server or DNS error.

First of all, the inf files are not updated yet as the patch just happened today. Also, there is a turtorial posted here on how to find out the offsets yourself if needed.

Secondly, there is another scheduled patch in a few days so the offsets are going to change again most likely.

The site will be back up as soon as the host resolves the issues.

xeerex
02-18-2004, 09:38 AM
To be specific about it, our host is under a DoS attack now. They are trying to isolate the problem and get the servers back up. Maybe it is SOE???;)

xeerex
02-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Ok--normally I would post things such as this, but since there have been a couple of posts here about my site, let me share with you what I saw here for nearly 3 hours today:

===========================

Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.sourceforge.net' (111) in /home/groups/s/se/seq/htdocs/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.sourceforge.net' (111) in /home/groups/s/se/seq/htdocs/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
=========================

At least on my site, we email blast to the users and let them know what is going on, etc.

Point made and my last post on the subject.