PDA

View Full Version : My Troubles

Madd
02-05-2002, 08:24 PM
ok, I got RH 7.2 installed and can connect to the net. I installed SEQ and went out and bought a Linksys "Hub" Model EFAH05W. I plugged my EQ system and my Linux box in to the hub and the hub into my router.

I can run SEQ but I dont get any data. :(

I used one of the guides on this forum for installing seq. Wierd thing was it says i should have to wait a LONG time after the

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

But I didnt it was immediate, i did have to wait quite a bit for make -f Makefile.dist

it also says to i should run the same line *cp /usr (see above) again as the 10th and final step so I tried that again and it asked ifi wanted to overwrite my .conf.... :/

anyway My hub says its really a hub and showeq runs but i get no data.. Any ideas?

thanks!

high_jeeves
02-05-2002, 09:24 PM
As with the approximately 5000 other threads in this forum state, Linksys "Hubs" are switches.

Thank you, Drive through.

--Jeeves

Doh
02-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Madd -

You will get flamed here if you dont at least browse some of the other threads - this seems to be the most prolific question being asked and some of these folks are short tempered from being asked it so much. Jeeves flamed me the same. He seems stressed. :eek:

Anyway - here is one thread on it - http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=407

-Doh

high_jeeves
02-06-2002, 03:07 PM
Sorry I'm being short, but this question is the subject of 3/4 of the posts on this board. I answer it twice a day... While this is great for my post count, it is quite frustrating.

Can the board admins change the search button to be 800x600 and center it on the top of every page? Maybe then we can stop answering the same question over and over again...

--Jeeves

Madd
02-06-2002, 03:11 PM
I have read these forum till my eyes blead and fingers ran blue.

i see the aggresive reponses people get on these forums.. sheesh...

But i went to the store and studied and read and truely though the cheap 4 port hub I bought might really be a hub... appearently you can no longer buy a hub like the kind seq needs.

I know what a router/switch/hub is and does and think of my self as a pretty knowledgeable guy. Sorry to ruin you day guys.. I'll go shop ebay or something .. Thanks

Madd

S_B_R
02-06-2002, 03:56 PM
I think what gets everyone up tight about this is that 99% of the threads that ask this question contain the words "Linksys hubs are actually switches" or "I bought a Linksys hub and it doesn't work"...

I guess what I'm saying is maybe read the threads a little more carefully and don't go out and buy the one that EVERYONE says DOESN'T work...

Just a thought...

high_jeeves
02-06-2002, 03:57 PM
You can go to the store and buy a real hub, but as has been stated over and over again, ALL (this does in fact mean ALL, did I mention that the word ALL means every last one?) Linksys "hubs" are switches. A quick search will show you that this has been stated over and over again.

--Jeeves

monster69
02-06-2002, 06:25 PM
I was hoping to stay out of this one but my "hub" is a linksys hub and if you look at this post:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=2369#post2369

It clarifies some details about how these hub/switches work.

Like I said, mine is a Linksys and it works fine. Both my EQ and SEQ boxes run at 100Mb.

Madd
02-06-2002, 11:14 PM
thanks monster, I do have both computers using 10/100 cards and both hooked in to my hub but it still doesnt work...

:(

fryfrog
02-06-2002, 11:32 PM
do you have a 10mbit device hooked up somewhere on the 10/100 hub-switch? without having a 10mbit device hooked up, the entire thing acts as a switch. by 10mbit device, i do NOT mean a 10/100 nework card. i mean a 10mbit network card or even a 10mbit hob without anything attached.

mine works because i have a 10mbit router hooked to the same hub-switch that my sniffer box is on.

Madd
02-07-2002, 10:12 AM
I have a 10Mbit card. If i put that on my linux machine would that work or are you saying it has to be a device other than my EQ amchine and seq machine?

Ataal
02-07-2002, 11:13 AM
I had a problem with the autosensing hubs before so I switched mine for a 10/100 hub that I could manually switch between 10Mb and 100Mb...but this was only because I had a couple machines running 10Mb cards and some running 100Mb cards.

Madd,
If you could, please write out your network scenario for us with model numbers of hubs/routers/Nics etc....how they are connected exactly...stuff like that.

To give you a vague example of how mine is set up, here's mine:

ISP-----DSL Modem-----linksys router/switch/NAT------laptop and Dlink 10/100 dumb hub----EQ machine and Linux box running SEQ.

P.S. Just to clarify.....the fact that a hub is either 10Mb or 100Mb or 10/100 autosensing or 10/100 manual, has NOTHING to do with whether it's a switching hub(a switch) or not. People who keep saying this on other threads either don't know or are using the wrong words to describe their setup.

For example, when someone says their hub "switches" from 10Mb to 100Mb does not mean it IS a switch.

Madd
02-07-2002, 11:25 AM
sure

ISP --- DSL Modem --- Linksys BEFSR41 DSL/Cable Router 5 port --- Linksys 10/100 5 port Workgroup hub model EFAh05w --- EQ box / seq box both using 10/100 cards

What i might do today is return the autosensing 10/100 Linksys hub i bought at best buy and go for the netgear 10mbt hub they had. the linksys i have now does not let me select 10 OR 100 since it auto detects and lets you mix 10Mbps and 100Mbps.

i was thinking about adding my oold 10Mbps card back on my seq box but i think this hub will auto-sense and mix the 10 and 100's...what do you think.

Thanks for replying!!

Madd

high_jeeves
02-07-2002, 01:36 PM
)utting the 10Mbit card in the showEQ will not fix it. YTou either need to buy a new hub, or try fryfrogs suggestions (hooking a 3rd device (not EQ or ShowEQ) up to the linksys).

Fryfrog - what switch/hub are you using? I tried changing the hub I use for ShowEQ with a linksys switch/hub I have elsewhere in the house and tried your suggestions (hooked a pure 10Mbit hub up to it along with my two 100Mbit machines) and still was not able to sniff packets over it. May only work with certain hub/switches.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
02-07-2002, 05:35 PM
i have a 5 port older model (its gray and kindof square) and an 8 port newer model (blue and curvey). perhaps they have done something more to their switch-hubs since i got mine :)

i have never tried the hooking a 10mbit hub to the 10/100 hub-switch so i'm not sure if it works.

my personal setup is kindof funky, the 5 port switch-hub has all the sniffing computers hooked to it because the 10mbit internet connection is on it. that 5port hub is then connected to an 8port hub where most of the other computers are. since the traffic from the 8port travels to the 5port then to the internet, everything on the 5port hub can sniff traffic :)

Ataal
02-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Your setup "appears" to be fine. That linksys hub is indeed a dumb hub and not a switch, however obviously something is wrong.....

Just as a suggestion, and only because I know it does work, you can try taking the hub you have back and getting this one:

D-Link DFE-904

It was only 24 bucks from Shentech.com

If that doesn't fix the problem, we may have to narrow the problem down a bit farther....

I'm not sure if you've answered these or not be here goes:

1. Just to clarify...is your linux box getting a valid IP address and able to access the internet?

2. Have you tried using the tcpdump utility to verify if you can sniff packets (to narrow it down between a network problem or SEQ problem) I'm no expert on this utility, others may have a suggestion on what options to use with it....

3. I know it's a pain, but have you tried a different guide/walkthrough or tried the same one over again? (ie...reinstalling linux/rpms/seq...)

Also, just to make sure the hub is connected to the router correctly, on mine... I have a patch cable running from the uplink port on my hub to any open port (1-4) on my router. Although if I connect the cable to any other port (uplink or LAN) on my router, I won't get any traffic, some hinky setups out there might give you an IP address, but can't sniff other machines....I don't know...grasping at straws if none of this helps....

shadowcat
02-08-2002, 08:43 AM
I originally had gotten the Linksys network set that had the 5-port switch. I ended up getting a 4-port Netgear hub which has been great.

I now have the Linksys BEFSR41 router hanging off of the cable modem with a PC connected to the router. Then I have the Netgear Hub connected with a crossover patch cable to the router as well. The Netgear has my Linux system and two more PCs hanging off of it. I can sniff packets for either system using seq.

The original Linksys switch is now collecting dust ...

[PS-Make sure you can ping the other PCs (Windows based ones) from your Linux box.]

Tarin
03-17-2002, 11:23 AM
After extensive reading on this board and a bit of experimentation, I got SEQ set up on a RedHat 7.1 system. This site has some truely excellent users with a lot of insight. I had dropped Linux for a while but over the last few weeks have been relearning all that I had forgotten, mainly through the interest in peoples comments to various questions on this board - thanks to all for rekindling my enthusiasm for Linux.

After I had SEQ set up, I would launch EQ and then once in would launch SEQ. SEQ would come up but not display any information, it simply was not sniffing.

I did some more reading and experimenting - even though I had a switch, I did have a dedicated 10MB device plugged in to the switch while both EQ and SEQ were running at 100MB. So it should have worked from what I have read. Anyway, I went out and bought a Hub (Not Linksys) and after removing the switch and running the network off of a Hub, I still had the same problem.

A few more searches and a bit of reading and I came accross this post from fryfrog that fixed things for me:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=578&highlight=sniffing

Thanks to fryfrog for the solution and everyone for an very informative help forum!!

Tarin

P.S. I have since reset my Network to using the Switch and all still works, so it is not always a switch that causes the problem.