PDA

View Full Version : been found out - banning risk?

madmonk
02-06-2002, 02:44 PM
I won't go into the details but lets suppose someone you know in game found out you was using ShowEQ now, (did not say in game btw - so no text screen shot)

how much jeopardy would your account be in and what actions would you recommend thanks... would it be serious enough to go underground and disappear for a while? or change servers? 4 level 60s on my account..

S_B_R
02-06-2002, 03:07 PM
I've had 2 friends and my brother ask me about ShowEQ IN GAME!!! and I haven't been banned... ... ...yet... ... ...
/em knocks on wood...

I think as long as they don't /petition you for it you'll prolly be ok. Even if they did without real proof they would prolly just have a Guide follow you around for a day or 2 to try and catch you using it.

fryfrog
02-06-2002, 05:52 PM
yeah, just don't do stupid stuff with showeq. just pretend to be ignant when people talk about that seq thing. what? what is seq??? huh?

Cryonic
02-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Just don't beeline for every rare in the zone. Run around like you know where they should be and just seem to come across them.

madmonk
02-06-2002, 06:50 PM
well i hope nothing comes from it, would be a shame to see two years of work down the drain.

do long long long camps trigger suspicion?

crazdefool
02-07-2002, 06:50 AM
One thing i would look out for, GM's dont have a way to view the game like we do (ShowEQ) so they don't really know that your screaming across the zone to go get that rare spawn that just poped up.. (as far as i know anyhow) But they would have to catch you doing it anyhow. If you see a PC around you that is not in the /who list you know its a gm (or you can tell by his name/last name) In that case just run around like your lost or gate or camp etc if you think they suspect you..

Good Luck...

casey
02-07-2002, 09:13 AM
One thing i would look out for, GM's dont have a way to view the game like we do (ShowEQ) so they don't really know that your screaming across the zone to go get that rare spawn that just poped up..

you are aware that Rowyl (lead developer, Everquest) is a former showeq developer, and maintains a windows in house version of showeq (without the hinderance of key attacks and guessing at packet structures), with the added information gms get to know?

think twice when you assume the dev staff and higher ups in the gm hierarchy are in the dark.

Ratt
02-07-2002, 09:17 AM
GMs, Senior Guides and I believe even Guides can now run under full cloak, meaning they won't even show up on SEQ. However, oddly enough, if they forget to remove their light sources, you would be able to see their sphere of light influence area moving around (possibly with you, if they are following you), however you won't see anything on SEQ.

Yendor
02-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Well if client knows enough to light up the area then that info has to be sent to the client. Wonder how that is done. *idle thought*

Mr Guy
02-07-2002, 10:34 AM
My thoughts as well Yendor. SOMETHING is getting sent. The problem being to really test and find out we'd need a guide in full cloak willing to walk around with some lightstones while logged some data.... Anyone?

crazdefool
02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Wow, sorry for the mis-information.. I have seen some cloaked gm's around me perhaps it wasn't full cloak? I better watch my actions a bit better :P

Crazde

showeqnewb
02-07-2002, 06:00 PM
One of the fav things to do is cast Bind Sight on someone and yes you would know that they are Beelining for the named spawn!

Burnereq
02-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Speaking from Exp. I was a Guide for 18 months and used showeq part of the time to find corpses and such. I tested it with another machine. Even if a Guide is in Full /hide mode ShowEQ still tracks him. So there is no way you wouldnt know if a GM is in your zone.

Btw its kinda funny to do a /who all GM and then see a GM you know on SEQ. Makes you want to go and shadow him. At one point there was an issue with Guide /hide command, players could still see the guides. Made it difficult to do investigations.
Please rest your mind at ease Guides cant sneak around the zone when you have showeq. BTW a Great thing to do also is keep up with the guides on your server and put them in your ALERT FILTER that way you will not accidently miss them.

Good Luck and BTW Great program and the Work/sweat/tears you guys have gone through to keep up is very appreciated.

Tyrvidarus
02-08-2002, 02:46 AM
The reason you saw other guides on ShowEQ when you were guideing was because when your account is guide flagged the packets that show you other GMs are sent to you. This is server based. The reason that non guides don't see "cloaked" guides/GMs is because the server checks to see if your account is guide flagged without sending any information to you. If it is, then the packets that identify where the guides/GMs are are sent. Didn't you notice that you could still see your fellow guides when they were using /hide?

I found this out for sure the other night. There was a GM in the same zone as me, that showed up on a who. The GM then went hidden without going /anon (anon tells the server not to display you on player /who lists, hide just makes the server not send any packets that would display you) The GM DID NOT show up on showeq, even though he was obviously in the zone.

Burnereq
02-08-2002, 10:11 AM
No you are incorrect. When i was testing it I had SEQ sniff my wifes account. Then I went to the zone she was in and did a /hide. I was still visible on seq. You cant tell me that her account was tagged also.

Cryonic
02-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Guide and GM hides don't seem to be the same. Guide /hide seems to be just an invis that can't be seen with see invis. GM /hide goes full invis, even to SEQ.

Burnereq
02-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Thats not completely true. Guides have the ability not to be seen at all or recieve tells. When we do a /hide it just makes you invis to players. you can also turn off your tells as well. both of these things combined makes it as you arent online. When this is done SEQ still shows a guide. As for a GM Im not sure. They have commands that we dont.