PDA

View Full Version : QT Threaded rpm

Mr Guy
12-20-2001, 01:52 PM
Couldn't someone with a faster machine (and pity) create a threaded RPM to distribute?

In another thread someone implied it wouldn't work, I was wondering why.

RavenCT
12-20-2001, 02:03 PM
especially since the machine I run SEQ on is a Pentium 233 (a leftover machine that I snarfed...) but I use a PII 400 with VMWare running Linux 7.2 to do all my compiles with... If not, compiling SEQ would take a couple of hours as opposed to the 15-20 minutes with VMWARE...

I started compiling qt once on the 233 about a month ago, after a couple of DAYS (no I'm not kidding about that... problem was power saving kept kicking in) it still wasn't done. I'm trying the compile right now with VMWare on a PIII 800 and it's been running for more than an hour...

So, can anyone out there take pity? I know I'm not the only one with this issue... I don't understand why you couldn't do this though... you might have to just add some paths etc I'd imagine...

Exo
12-20-2001, 04:06 PM
QT takes a few hours to compile even on a pretty good machine.

RavenCT
12-21-2001, 06:45 AM
Well, I didn't bother trying to compile QT 2.3.2 on my Pentium 233... but I did let my PII 400 (Running Linux RH 7.2 inside of vmware) compile it last night... I'm not sure how long it took, but it was done when I got up six hours later...

Anyway, did that, compiled this, ran that... WooHoo!

Can't wait till I get home from work tonight so I can actually see what the thing looks like running with the game!

Mr Guy
12-21-2001, 08:15 AM
Took me only 3 hours roughly on a 266.

I'm going to see today about what I can find about creating a threaded QT rpm

Spags
12-21-2001, 10:09 AM
Just compiled QT in just under 2 and half hours with a pentium 133, isn't that bad. Was running a freshly installed RH 7.2.

RavenCT
12-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that the machine only has 32MB of RAM.... I'm going to kill the XTerm and see how fast it goes after that.....

Chuin
12-21-2001, 11:58 AM
I get this error when running make for QT...

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++

I only run Linux for SEQ, but I know enough that it looks like on of the C++ libraries didn't get loaded correctly or at all? Am I in the ballpark?

THX...:)

Tristan469
12-21-2001, 12:20 PM
The Qt library is now built in ./lib
The Qt examples are built in the directories in ./examples
The Qt tutorials are built in the directories in ./tutorial

Note: be sure to set $QTDIR to point to here or to wherever
you move these directories.

Enjoy! - the Trolltech team

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'

real 265m34.349s
user 248m16.100s
sys 4m23.790s

The last three lines of this output are the result of the 'time' command.. you can time any command you want in linux.. In my case I timed the 'make' on the QT library. (time make) It took 265 minutes, which is 4 hours and 25 minutes, to compile this on a 166 with 32 megs of ram running Linux RedHat 7.1 with X-Windows shut down.. /sigh Hope I don't have to do this one again..

Cheers!

winseq
12-21-2001, 01:06 PM
Compiled qt 3 times yesterday... About 1.5 hrs each time at around 550Mhz... Typos got in the way... *sigh* Got a lot of television and EC time in though... :p

RagingQuasar
12-22-2001, 04:30 PM
I thought this thread was a request for someone to post the QT ... NOT for everyone to post how long it took ...

So, can or will someone post the compiled QT?

(I am trying mine now but I personally am think that I am not going to get this done. I guess it is down to a matter of how much it really matters about these new features, as I have a more or less working copy of the pre luclin one)