PDA

View Full Version : gcc-3.0 test?

Nomad_
12-20-2001, 02:16 PM
What test is being done to determine if the system is runnine 3.0? I've upgraded gcc, g++, cpp, libstdc, etc but I get this:

checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for supported compiler version... no
configure: error: You need at least GCC 3.0 or greater to compile ShowEQ

{1}:wally:/home/nomad/EQ/CVS/showeq>dpkg -l | grep gcc
gcc -ii gcc-3.0 3.0.3-0pre0112 The GNU C compiler.
ii gcc-3.0-base 3.0.3-0pre0112 The GNU Compiler Collection (base package).
ii libgcc1 3.0.3-0pre0112 GCC support library.
{0}:wally:/home/nomad/EQ/CVS/showeq>gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,proto,objc --prefix=/usr --infodir=/share/info --mandir=/share/man --enable-shared --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-system-zlib --enable-long-long --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --disable-checking --enable-threads=posix --enable-java-gc=boehm --with-cpp-install-dir=bin --enable-objc-gc i386-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.3 20011215 (Debian prerelease)

I can't remove cpp-2.95 (3.0 is installed and pointed at) same with libstdc also...

Yendor
12-20-2001, 02:33 PM
I still don't have this working, my linux machine is too old, too slow, and has too small of a drive... but it will be working soon.

But my guess for your problem is that it is related to the version of cpp, maybe. The test configure is using is the contents of the predefined variables/macros/constants/whatever you want to call them:

__GNUC__, __GNUC_MINOR__, __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__

I don't know where gcc picks up the values for those, but it could very well be from cpp, so if it isn't using the correct cpp you could have a problem.

Nomad_
12-20-2001, 02:50 PM
Thought of that, only have cpp-3.0 installed though.

"Mr Guy" in the help desk got it. gcc 3.0 is just fine. The problem was a missing lnk for g++-3.0 to g++ so the test isn't against gcc, but against g++