PDA

View Full Version : EverSpy2 status ?

xander
04-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi

I just wanted to check on the status of EverSpy2 ?
I know it is in beta but is it just a packet sniffer or is it the GUI frontend aswell ?

kind regards
Xander

flipper
04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Prior to posting this question there were only 2 threads in the EQ2 Protocol & Datastream forum. One regarding the packet sniffer application and another regarding the front end (Everspy2). The packet sniffer is open source and available for download by anyone. Everspy2 is in a private beta mode -- you donate to the author and you get the beta. An open beta should be available in the not so distant future.

I'll probably end up getting flamed for answering a question that is already addressed in the 2 threads I mentioned above. :rolleyes:

Cryonic
04-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Not sure it is really a closed Beta. You can donate to get access, but it will never be fully open.

http://showeq.net/forums/showpost.php?p=38599&postcount=42

Acid1789
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
flipper is correct. There are two separate applications. The base packet sniffer which is open source and EverSpy2 (GUI Ghost display tool) is closed source.

EverSpy2 is currently in a private beta stage. There will be an open beta stage to test community mode features as soon as all the bugs have been worked out of the standalone mode.

tigerknight
05-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Does this mean that there will be no opensource gui a'la the original showeq? An open source packet sniffer by itself isn't much use unless there's a gui to go over the top...

Unless that happens to be the point in the first place - keeping the packet sniffing 'open/free' and making the gui a purchased product so that the gui can't be attacked by SOE since the packet sniffer project isn't making money (and no longer protected as a non-profit 'education only' tool) since it's the one doing the grunt work on eq2's communications?

Acid1789
05-24-2005, 01:26 PM
There wont be an open source gui by me at least. There is nothing to keep sony from 'attacking' the project if its open source or closed source.

The fact that it makes money isnt even part of the equation, except if you consider that pay software is less used than free software.

Making this tool closed source and commercial has nothing to do with any kind of legal strategy. I simply dont work for free. For a tool that I am going to have to maintain and develop, Im certainly going to charge for it.

tigerknight
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
I simply dont work for free. For a tool that I am going to have to maintain and develop, Im certainly going to charge for it.

Fair enough. I've seen certain things in the past dodge litigation by such tactics, so I was curious about why the sniffer was opensource but not the gui.

I guess it would depend on what the gui itself was like whether I'd end up chipping in for it or not.

In any case, good luck with your project :] sounds like you've got it off and running to a good start.

snobles
06-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Any idea when EverSpy2 will be available to the general public? Or am I just not finding it here?

snobles
06-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Again I ask, "Any idea when EverSpy2 will be available?"

I am very interested in this product.

CX2
06-13-2005, 08:01 AM
If you are so interested, please donate to the project and you will receive a copy of the beta.

That is the best suggestion as of now for you

snobles
06-13-2005, 04:25 PM
How/where would I do that?

CX2
06-14-2005, 09:02 AM
http://www.pptournament.m6.net/eq2/
its a paypal link

snobles
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I donated 2 days ago. Now what?

snobles
06-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Can I get a copy of the software now?

snobles
06-20-2005, 05:49 PM
So I guess I donated for nothing. How nice.

purple
06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Main Entry: do·na·tion
Pronunciation: dO-'nA-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English donatyowne, from Latin donation-, donatio, from donare to present, from donum gift; akin to Latin dare to give -- more at DATE
: the act or an instance of donating : as a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution b : a free contribution

snobles
06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
If you are so interested, please donate to the project and you will receive a copy of the beta.

That is the best suggestion as of now for you

Donation provided.
Software not.

Andayle
06-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I dont think a copy of the program gets sent out as soon as someone donates. I think ya name gets added to the mail list and then once a new client is released you get sent it the same time as all the other beta testers.

I could be wrong but i think this is how it happened for me.

PS Anyone elses client now not showing any maps at all? In the map window it used to say the server name and the current zone you was in. Since the last big patch it now says wich server your on but not the zone? If thats right then the client is probably having difficulties finding wich zone your in.