PDA

View Full Version : MySEQ current source

gawker
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Did anything ever come out of the debate over the ownership of the MySEQ source over on the other site?

I am just curious because I was able to extract the source from the distributed applications (using Reflection and a little elbow grease) and recreate a MS C# project for server and client.

For a group of guys so intent on not distributing source, you would think they would at least try some simple obfuscation.

Are any parts of the code distributable under a public license?

Seaxouri
11-22-2005, 10:38 AM
There is a small GPL blurb in the client side code. There is nothing in the server side code.

When the two sides split, there was a huge pull (from what I read) to get the source code from the v2.0 folks. They actually shipped source for awhile with the installation, but you cannot get the v2.1.3.0 code, and even if you could, they feel strongly that the code is not under GPL, since there was no appropriate licensing info in the source code (or CVS).

Of course the creators standby their claims that they released the code GPL in an announcement message.

I think that the basic idea is that about a year ago, the two sides went their separate ways. v1.x turned GPL and v2.x went commercial. Now there is a v3.x which is, from what I understand, purely donation based (I think they may even be charging monthly fees). v2.x is no longer supported.

So I do not think anyone wants to steal the v2.x or the v3.x code. v1.x has everything most people use, and it is very simple, so it is easy to maintain and there are only a few offsets that need to be figured out. With four offsets, you can see the map, the spawns, your current target and your current position on the map. The fifth offset is supposed to get ground spawn items, but I haven't been able to figure out if they still look like what the code thinks they look like.. and I really don't care too much anyhow (most things like chests and barrels appear in the spawn list anyhow).

My hope is to see a new influx of people using v1.x, since 3.x went commericial. My other hope is to get developer access to this project so I can at least keep some minor changes checked in. I am not sure if the project admins check back here anymore though.

BlueAdept
11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
There is a small GPL blurb in the client side code. There is nothing in the server side code.

When the two sides split, there was a huge pull (from what I read) to get the source code from the v2.0 folks. They actually shipped source for awhile with the installation, but you cannot get the v2.1.3.0 code, and even if you could, they feel strongly that the code is not under GPL, since there was no appropriate licensing info in the source code (or CVS).

MySEQ was first distributed on the message board. They were given space here by Ratt. The original author cavemanbob basicly retired and the project was passed on to MQSEQ2, Slartibartfast and I think someone else but I don't remember who all was helping then. CMB was still around and was still overseeing the project.

When 2.0.2 or 2.0.3 came out, they moved away from here to their own website because SF's site was slow. MQSEQ2 owned the new site and allowed the other developers access to the new site. They still gave away the source code. A little while later, from what I remember, the other developers were locked out, the source was taken away from the website and they decided to go pay only.

Under pressure from Slartibartfast and others, they put up an old version of the code and put back a precompliled version to download but strongly suggested you donate.

Of course the creators standby their claims that they released the code GPL in an announcement message.

I think that the basic idea is that about a year ago, the two sides went their separate ways. v1.x turned GPL and v2.x went commercial. Now there is a v3.x which is, from what I understand, purely donation based (I think they may even be charging monthly fees). v2.x is no longer supported.

Actually I worked with Slartibartfast and CMB on this. CMB said it was GPL, it was released on SF which means it has to be GPL or LGPL, but either way, the source code has to be released as long as any part of the code is still used.

I know that the tree for MySEQ 2.0 was SF's CVS since there was a message stating such. I do not know if the public version was released on the CVS because they were having trouble (and still do) with SFs CVS. Since 2.0 still had a majority of the source from 1.x, it still fell under the GPL.

So I do not think anyone wants to steal the v2.x or the v3.x code. v1.x has everything most people use, and it is very simple, so it is easy to maintain and there are only a few offsets that need to be figured out. With four offsets, you can see the map, the spawns, your current target and your current position on the map. The fifth offset is supposed to get ground spawn items, but I haven't been able to figure out if they still look like what the code thinks they look like.. and I really don't care too much anyhow (most things like chests and barrels appear in the spawn list anyhow).

My hope is to see a new influx of people using v1.x, since 3.x went commericial. My other hope is to get developer access to this project so I can at least keep some minor changes checked in. I am not sure if the project admins check back here anymore though.

The new MySEQ team can't be trusted. Look at their past. They kicked out the original developers, they stole the BSD Daemon logo, they are still in violation of the GPL, they also stole all of my filters (they stripped out all references to ShowEQ and was I was told that they were were not made from my filters (but matched every one of my filters including spelling errors and dupes)). I believe I was also banned from the site since my password no longer works and I know that a lot of other people were banned too.

(this should have been my lucky post. It was number 777)