PDA

View Full Version : New client/server v1.18.1 released

Seaxouri
12-12-2005, 06:06 PM
You can download the latest client, server and offsets at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10131&package_id=80983

There were a few problems with v1.18.0. First of all, I didn't realize that SF did not allow for a .tgz extension to files (short for .tar.gz). When I first uploaded it, I accidentally pegged the release as a 'source .gz'. I later changed it '.gz'. Somehow in doing that, it caused the file to be corrupt when moving it to mirrors, because I know it worked fine moments after I originally uploaded it. It only seemed corrupt when downloading from mirrors.

So I quickly remade the server, in zip form this time, and put it back out there, but accidently left debug enabled. This required folks to have a debug version of a NETv2.0 dll, which only comes in the NETv2.0 SDK. Of course this is free, but most folks only want to install the NETv2.0 runtimes.. not the entire SDK.

So I made it a third time. This time it was made in non-debug mode. I also removed the MySEQv3 references, and changed the version to 1.18.1.

I also redid the client so it uses zip format, and changed it's release to 1.18.1. So if you got a working 1.18.0 client, there is no need to get the 1.18.1 client unless it just really, really bugs you.

Sorry for the mess ups, I will try and be more careful in the future.

Enjoy!

gawker
12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
So are you going to post the source?

Seaxouri
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
The source is in CVS on SF of course. You typically don't ship source in binary releases. It's a waste of bandwidth and space. I think too many people mistakenly do it, but it is not required, even for GPL. That is a common misinterpretation. As long as the source is available, which it is, you meet GPL requirements. I am fairly sure at least 99% of the people that want the binaries don't care about the source, or even understand it. I could make a source tarball, but that, too, is a waste of SF resources. What I DID, do, which everyone should do, is to TAG CVS with a non-branch tag so anyone can extract, at any time, the exact source used to build the release.

Typically linux/unix folks will ship source tarballs, and leave it to the end users to build binaries on their distro. However, binary tarballs, if you can find them, typically do not carry source.

If you follow the link in my signature below, then click on CVS in the menu bar, it will take you to an intruction screen on how to obtain the source. Or you can click on the 'browse repository' link to look at individual files.