PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Requirements

Kid98
12-20-2001, 06:52 PM
Hey all,
I am running an old p200 for my internet and firewall box. It currently runs the older SEQ in RH 7.1, but just barely. Does the new CVS require more horsepower? (hopefully it is more efficient
:) ) I apologive if this info is given in the install info in the CVS tree but I did not see it.

Thanks in advance!

Kid

Mr Guy
12-20-2001, 09:29 PM
Seems to be doing just fine on my 266, even the QT compile only took about 3 hours.

Kid98
12-20-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input. Anyone else running on something as slow as a p200 with a voodoo3000PCI and 192megs of ram??

Regards,

Kid

Zaphod
12-20-2001, 11:56 PM
Just as an FYI, the new ShowEQ actually requires much less CPU horsepower in general then the old as well as less memory. The hardware requirements went down, while more features were added. As you use more features the CPU requirements will increase (ie. for each additional map displayed), but that is the users choice.

The only real requirements that went up were the versions of the required tools and libraries.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Kid98
12-21-2001, 06:27 AM
Thanks, guess I am gonna be okay with this ghetto rig. Now I am off to get GCC3 et al.

Regards,

Kid

Mr Guy
12-21-2001, 08:23 AM
ghetto rig?

In Linux terms that baby is practically a WORKHORSE!

My cube mate are work runs just fine on a 66. Wouldn't want to see THAT Qt compile time though.

Tristan469
12-21-2001, 08:41 AM
For anyone that isn't really familiar with Linux, here is a great way to speed up compile times..

KILL X!!!!! (X being the gui environment)

Anytime I have to compile anything, I switch to a command window (ctrl+alt+F1), login and then do a
/sbin/telinit 3

This will switch the run level of your system to just above bare minimum... Some times I have to go kill X manually with an app called TOP...

type at the command line->
and then wait... you will see a bunch of prcesses in a list..
press the letter 'k' and it will ask for a PID (process ID) then look in the list and get the PID of "X".. it will be listed under the command column.. Enter the PID, hit enter and then it will ask for a signal to use... simply type '-9' and hit enter... X is now shut down... type q and then follow the guide to compile eveything...

Once you're done, and want to switch your run level back to normal, type
/sbin/telinit 5

then press ctrl+alt+F7 to take you to the gui login..

This works for RedHat and Mandrake and maybe others.. I have both mandrake8.1 and redhat7.1 installed on two sperate machines both running SEQ for my two window's boxes..

hope this helps someone...