PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Reliant
04-22-2007, 05:58 PM
I've been using the 1.19 client now for a couple days and I have two quick questions. This may just be that I don't know how to config it correctly, but I thought I'd post in case anyone else has issues:

1) My client doesnt seem to be 'following' the player. In otherwords, it doesn't recenter the map on the player when he moves. I've goin into Options/MapSettings, and 'Follow Player is definately selected, but it doesn't seem to be working -- the player can wander off the map.

2) My con colors seem to be incorrect -- is there an updated con listing somewhere?

R

Seaxouri
04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Follow player only works when the map is updated, like if you zoom in or out. The 1.19 client is far too laggy to be true autofollow, so it was disabled long ago. If you periodically zoom in and out (I use the wheel mouse), the map will recenter on the player.

It is possible with the 1.20 client I will have this function working as it should, but that wont be available for some time. I am about 70% done with 1.20, but current work has me swamped and I have been unable to do any more updates in the last month or so. What little time I had I used to add grounditems to the 1.19 client and add the ground item offset scanner.

2) Con algorithm changed with TSS expansion. 1.20 currently has cons working. I don't plan on porting the new cons back to the 1.19 line.

Reliant
04-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the quick response, Sea! Let me know if you need help with coding a module here or there -- I'm a .NET guy (five years exp, do it professionally).

I'll take the zoom tip, and work with that. The con colors are more of a nuisance than a real problem, so I'll just wait along with everyone else for 1.20. The rest of the app works fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work.

Reliant

P.S. As far as lag is concerned, frankly I haven't noticed it (I use a decent graphics card and a separate PC for the client)

Seaxouri
04-23-2007, 08:40 AM
The 1.19 client has many design problems which make the auto follow not practical.

When enabled, what happens is the map is drawn then the spawns are sprinkled in. All of this is calculation is done manually by the client, which was a very poor design choice. Every time the player moves, the 'primary' coordnates are updated, and the remaining skittles are draw according to the new primary coordinates. What the user sees are misplaced skittles that jump all over the place. If you had a red mob inside a small square room, you would see the red skittle warp to the north/east/west/south of the room as the player moved around the zone. It looks terrible.

1.20 uses the built in scale and translation functions from DirectX, so every frame is updated properly and smoothly. The logic I want to add for auto-follow would have a 'hot' zone which would be a rectangular perimeter around the outside of the screen. The map would not move until a player hits the hot zone, and then the map would re-center on the player. This would allow for only periodic auto-following which is a lot easier on the eyes.

1.20 also has what I call 'smart zoom'. Wherever the mouse is centered, that is your zoom point. In 1.19, if you wanted to zoom in on another part of the map, you had to zoom and pan, which was a pain in the butt. Now all you do is zoom out, move the mouse over the target area and zoom in, and you can lock into a new part of the map within a second. I also have a view reset, where if you click the center mouse button, your view is reset to the starting values, which auto-center the map and auto-scale it to fit entirely in the client window. A mouse with a wheel will be required for this new client. I think its a small price to pay for the level of funtionality you gain, and adding in all the alternative controls seems like a waste of code and time to me. If someone else wants to come along and handicap it, more power to you.