PDA

View Full Version : I tried

BlueAdept
07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Myseq.com expired. I tried to grab it but someone else got it. I even backordered it with godaddy and they failed me. :(

Seaxouri
07-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow thanks for trying!

Seaxouri
07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks like MrDoh grabbed it. Whatta bastard.

Now we know his name tho:

Chrys Heard
3775 Spring Dr.
Huntsville, TX 77340
US
Registrar: ENAMECO
Domain Name: MYSEQ.COM
Created on: 22-JUL-07
Expires on: 22-JUL-08
Last Updated on: 22-JUL-07
Administrative, Technical Contact:
Heard, Chrys [email protected]
3775 Spring Dr.
Huntsville, TX 77340
US
+1.9363077086

Backspace
07-24-2007, 04:18 PM
What about Myseq.org or .net?
Perhaps rename the program to reduce confusion between this version and the Mr. Doh's version. Some ideas that come to my mind are OpenSEQ, FreeSEQ, WinSEQ. Just a thought.

Seaxouri
07-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Good thought, for sure. I already tag this version as 'MySEQ Open' vs 'MySEQ' and even that makes me a little queasy.

Its hard to give up the MySEQ because that is what the originator called it, and I don't feel its my place to change that.

Mr. Doh stole the name from the real originators. If anything, he should rename his to something else. That would be like some company being able to steal Coca Cola (logo, formula, everything) and get away with it. The real founders of Coca Cola are then asked to go change their name to something else to avoid confusion. In that situation you'd be like, WTF? I don't see this as any different, because its not.

If the product were not what it is, I would spend a lot more time getting the OS community involved in bringing rexxpage to its freakin knees. As it stands, its best for all parties to just stay under the radar and not draw too much attention to ourselves. If they ever start charging a monthly fee, I think that would be the death of them.

BlueAdept
07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Mr. Doh stole the name from the real originators. If anything, he should rename his to something else. That would be like some company being able to steal Coca Cola (logo, formula, everything) and get away with it.

Well they didnt steal the logo from us. They stole it from FreeBSD. For a while, they had a message from them saying that they were not authorized to use it since it has NOTHING to do with Freebsd and that they would rather that MySEQ not use it. They did say that if they were to keep using it, that they had to at least give them credit for the logo...

Well I dont see credit for the logo anymore now that it has blown over.

I have kept watch on the myseq (.com .net .org) domains (along with SEQ's ones). Unfortunately that was the only one that has come up for change in the last 2 years that I have been watching them. BTW do not use GoDaddy for trying to backorder domains....I wasted 19.99 on it with no results as you can see.

Seaxouri
07-25-2007, 08:10 AM
To be clear, our version never used that logo. That is something Mr. Doh pirated from FreeBSD after he pirated MySEQ from SourceForge.

Our logo is still some odd igloo thing. No idea, don't really care.

BlueAdept
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Mr. Doh's checklist:
1. Take MySEQ's source - X
2. Violate the GPL by not releasing the source - X
3. Steal FreeBSD's logo - X
4. Ban anyone who disagrees with Mr. Doh - X
5. Screw over the world - Working on it.

:D

Seaxouri
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I like how they added in built in web pages into the app that go out and hit MySuperSales. I am sure they get kickbacks on the hits.

Note: I saw this in their Flash movie, not the app. I don't have their app.

Carpathian
07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Don't forget the music they stole from the Windows XP Welcome Wizard for their video ;-).

BlueAdept
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Our logo is still some odd igloo thing. No idea, don't really care.

Isn't the igloo icon the default icon for visual C? Ive seen it elsewhere and dont think it is something that was created by someone here.

cavemanbob
07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
No the default icon for visual c# has 3 little colored boxes. I can't remember where that one came from, i think someone submitted it.

BlueAdept
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I only have visual c 6. I believe it is from there, I could be wrong though. I havent used it though in many years.

I dont think I have seen the 3 boxes.

flopz
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
If they ever start charging a monthly fee, I think that would be the death of them.
What they do now isn't far from charing a monthly fee. Non-donating users receive virtually no support; updates don't reach these users for months.

cavemanbob
07-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah the colored boxes are in 2005 for c# anyway, i'm pretty sure 2003 was the same which is what i used back then. The igloo definately wasn't the default though.

MacQ
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
It's been a long time since I played EQ but thought I would wonder over to MySEQ and poke around. Guess the My$EQ guys are up to their old tricks based on this post.

Seaxouri, I think you were talking about a 1.20 client earlier in the year, did you ever get that finished? I looked in the four MySEQ forums and except for the help/offset section, it seems things have been pretty quiet.

I'm thinking about reactivating my old EQ account and feeding my former addition...any thoughts on the game or what's been hapening...having been away for so long, I feel like a noob.

DancingHitler
09-14-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd rather donate to Purple through paypal anonymously. He deserves something for his efforts over the years and if anything it would be a motivator to get it updated. I prefer the linux version anyway.

Seaxouri
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I didn't finish 1.20. It got about 70% complete and then I petered out. I put ground spawns in the 1.19 client so everyone had full function.

All my code is checked into SF, so that 70% is still available to folks.

With my job getting busier, 2 kids and my wife hounding me for spending my free time on the computer, it got hard to justify spending more time on 1.20, although I do get the periodic urge to work on it here and there.

I also updated the debugger a little bit to help find ground spawns.

A few folks have jumped in and taken over the 'offset reigns' here, which is great because its usually 2-3 days after a patch before I can even try to find them, so this help is greatly appreciated.

I personally use 1.20 because the sprites are so much easier to see, but it lacks some basic things like spawn timers and z axis filtering. I also took out a ton of the 'global try/catch' blocks that were polluting the code. This caused several areas that needed tight catch blocks, but some are missing in 1.20 so you get the occasional popup/crash.

I usually get more free time as the winter approaches, so its possible I may pick it up again in the next few months, but I dont want to make anyone any promises.

MacQ
09-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Seaxouri, thanks for the update. I'm glad to see you still look at the forums and are thinking about completing the 1.20 client. Hopefully as fall/winter approaches (I assume you're in the northern hemisphere) you will get some time to continue the great work on the "real" MySEQ

Death the the My$EQ team :mad: /finger those stealing bastards should burn in hell!

Barshamm
09-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok, been a long time since I posted. Here's my take on Mr Doh. He's a thieving dickhead. What should the community do about him? One suggestion: Make and maintain a VMware version of ShowEQ that is easy to patch. Bang, Mr Doh is crying in his cornflakes.
Just my opinion.

MacQ
09-26-2007, 01:14 AM
After spending 24 years in the software development industry, much of that time as a CEO of an international software company, I learned first hand over those years that the cost to pursue people like Mr. Doh, assuming there was even a legal leg to stand on, are expensive and time consuming. Brining copyright infringement actions can easily reach hundreds of thousands of dollars in cost, and that's even before going to trial.

I've always believed the best way to become/remain a pain in Doh's ass is for MySEQ to continue to build a strong following of talented folks generously working within the spirit of the open source forum. As long as MySEQ is stable, supported and growing, it will probably succeed and remain a thorn in Doh's ass. As far as Doh, as long as he doesn't screw with this project, he can incorporate video of naked monkies flying out of his butt into his version of My$EQ for all I care :p

Cossack
09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
...he can incorporate video of naked monkies flying out of his butt into his version of My$EQ for all I care ...
I can imagine quite a few of us would love to see monkeys flying out of Doh's butt. (btw, any of you good at digital animation? ;)

kunark
01-15-2008, 01:25 AM
myseq.org expires this month
Domain ID103916119-LROR Domain Name:MYSEQ.ORG Created On:29-Jan-2004 14:27:25 UTC Last Updated On:05-Feb-2005 00:56:46 UTC Expiration Date:29-Jan-2008 14:27:25 UTC Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR) Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED Registrant ID:GODA-05260814 Registrant Name:Steven Dotd Registrant Street1:31 whittell cres Registrant Street2: Registrant Street3: Registrant City:belconnen Registrant State/Province:Australian Capital Territory Registrant Postal Code:2615 Registrant Country:AU Registrant Phone:+61.0403750619 Registrant Phone Ext.: Registrant FAX: Registrant FAX Ext.: Registrant Email:[email protected]

myseq.net expires: Creation date: 02 Mar 2004 12:53:50 Expiration date: 02 Mar 2008 12:53:50

and u alrdy know myseq.com: Registrar: ENAMECO Domain Name: MYSEQ.COM Created on: 22-JUL-07 Expires on: 22-JUL-08 Last Updated on: 23-JUL-07 lol would be great if yall got all 3 and made them do something different.

kunark
01-15-2008, 01:31 AM
myseq.org expires this month
Domain ID103916119-LROR Domain Name:MYSEQ.ORG Created On:29-Jan-2004 14:27:25 UTC Last Updated On:05-Feb-2005 00:56:46 UTC Expiration Date:29-Jan-2008 14:27:25 UTC Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR) Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED Registrant ID:GODA-05260814 Registrant Name:Steven Dotd Registrant Street1:31 whittell cres Registrant Street2: Registrant Street3: Registrant City:belconnen Registrant State/Province:Australian Capital Territory Registrant Postal Code:2615 Registrant Country:AU Registrant Phone:+61.0403750619 Registrant Phone Ext.: Registrant FAX: Registrant FAX Ext.: Registrant Email:[email protected]

myseq.net expires: Creation date: 02 Mar 2004 12:53:50 Expiration date: 02 Mar 2008 12:53:50

and u alrdy know myseq.com: Registrar: ENAMECO Domain Name: MYSEQ.COM Created on: 22-JUL-07 Expires on: 22-JUL-08 Last Updated on: 23-JUL-07 lol would be great if yall got all 3 and made them do something different.

note to self: have scripts alowed in firefox for site /smack

BlueAdept
01-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Just because it expires at the end of the month doesn't mean he doesn't have it set to auto renew. Only if goes into redemption period should worry about it. Even if it goes to redemption, they still have 30-90 days to reclaim it.

kunark
01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
good to know for my site but suxors in this case :(