PDA

View Full Version : Need new spawn to parse?

sequser
02-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Why is it you need a new spawn (pet, pc, or npc) in order for the zone to decode. Is this something that can be fixed? Is there some trick for a non-pet class to get a zone to parse when you are the only PC there? (Other than kill something and wait for respawn).

fryfrog
02-26-2002, 11:47 AM
i believe the weakness in vi's encryption is most apparant on new spawns after you zone in. its just the way seq works. if you are in a totally empty zone and need decode, you pretty much have to either kill something (so a re-spawn happens), make a pet, have someone zone in after you (if you have 2 computers and 2 accounts, thats easy) or just wait until something naturally spawns/despawns.

it makes kedge a bitch to decode most of the time.

sequser
02-26-2002, 12:29 PM
You mean a weakness in the seq decription. The EQ Client obviously is able to decript without a respawn, because you dont see things with unknown names and cons.

high_jeeves
02-26-2002, 01:27 PM
That is because the EQ Client gets the Key sent from the server. This key is sent using much more complex (but more processor intensive) encryption. Cracking the key exchange cannot be done in resonable time (unless you have a couple hundred years to wait each time you zone). ShowEQ uses a relatively smart brute force style method to get the key.

That brute force style method would take significantly longer (I beleive it was quoted at 2-3 hours per zone in) to work on the initial zone packets. The new spawn packets on the other hand can be cracked quite quickly with the brute force method (2-20 seconds).

--Jeeves

RSB
02-26-2002, 10:31 PM
the weakness is technically not with the encryption or decryption. Its a weakness of the key.

high_jeeves has it summed up right. When the encryption first changed it would take about 8 hours on a 500mhz machine if my memory is correct. The new meathod can crack the key in less then a second even on slower machines after a respawn.

As far as the kedge problem....who hunts there solo? hehehe
nah if your poking your nose in to see what is up then killing one of the little fish is your best bet....with a ranged attack of coarse.

RSB

cznelso
03-09-2002, 04:53 PM
get something with Effect: eye of zomm on it -- holgresh beads, ss helm (if bard),etc -- works for me.