PDA

View Full Version : script I came up with to download and convert all maps

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
This uses the "mapconvert" script that is stickied in this forum section.

have a copy of mapconvert in your home folder that you launch SEQ from along with the contents of this script (named whatever you wish it)

#!/bin/bash

wget http://www.mapfiend.net/fetchpack/ALL

mkdir tmpmaps
mv ALL tmpmaps/all.zip
cd tmpmaps

unzip all.zip

rm all.zip
rm *_2.txt

../mapconvert

mv *.map $HOME/.showeq/maps
rm *.txt
cd ..
rmdir tmpmaps

I delete the _2's since I don't want the text that shows up in the 2nd layer (comes in handy in game, but not here). The mapconvert script is smart enough to handle the missing _2 files.

Depending on how you have your permissions set up, you may need to sudo to run it to overwrite any old maps.

It took about 50 minutes to run the script on my linux box.

In case anyone's interested. Enjoy.

ieatacid
01-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Nice, thanks :)

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Glad someone else will take advantage of it. :)

His "mapconvert" script has been there for over a year, and I never even tried to use it until now. When I saw how slick it was, I had to find a way to automate the download process and copy process to go with it.

Sure beats the alternative, which was to load each _1.txt file in seq, save it as a .map file, then run my "recolor" script one at a time which changes all of the blacks to white (I think I did manage to write a script to do many _1.map files at once and result in a .map file, but don't need that anymore :) )

Now the only thing left to do is to put it into cron, and it will keep maps up to date for me without me needing to do anything :)

Razzle
01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Very nice.

tanner
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Can you post a zip or tar so I can download it and get the latest maps into the ubuntu package?

Razzle
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I will put together a new map pack. I have been meaning to update mine. Going through the maps now, making sure everything is clean.

tanner
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I will put together a new map pack. I have been meaning to update mine. Going through the maps now, making sure everything is clean.

I have the ubuntu maps under bzr and available at https://code.launchpad.net/~showeq-team/showeq/maps-3.0 (https://code.launchpad.net/%7Eshoweq-team/showeq/maps-3.0), feel free :-) to bzr get and publish the url so I can merge from you -or- better yet, join the showeq launchpad team.

Razzle
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I spent a little more time on these maps. Most are still from mapfiend though. Tried to go through all of them real quick and get rid of any grid labels that were added. But they are pretty straight forward, mostly optimized and converted to SEQ format.

I really am not set up to store files anywhere, so I just toss them up on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/191861596/SEQmaps_ALL.zip

Someone could upload these to sourceforge too, since the SEQ maps havn't been kept up to date.

Razzle

Fatal
02-02-2009, 05:45 PM
You can't upload them to sourceforge. But I could put it on mapfiend.

Razzle
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Currently there is no repository where you can download all maps in the SEQ format. I know mapfiend used to have where you can download maps in the SEQ format. What are the options for making SEQ format maps available? I know some of the maps on mapfiend were not the best maps, as in games maps were better.

Examples of maps, where SOE in game ones are better are Grobb, Neriak, and other cities. Also, the tutorials on mapfiend were out of date with current zones. So I grabbed in game maps of those too.

I was only trying to put together a pack of maps in SEQ format.

What can we do with maps so there is a place to download SEQ maps?

Razzle

ieatacid
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
What can we do with maps so there is a place to download SEQ maps?

You can't upload them to sourceforge. But I could put it on mapfiend.

I think Fatal is offering to host them on mapfiend.

Razzle
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I wasn't questioning whether Fatal could host them or not. I think it would be great if he could do that. I guess I should elaborate a bit about what I was thinking.

There used to be options to download SEQ maps on mapfiend.

Would it be better to put together a new set of maps?

Would it possible to do new scripts, to convert the mapfiend maps as it does the regular builds of map packs?

I think if Fatal could host the SEQ maps, it would be awesome. But as I consider how to maintain them, what are the options?

I can help write scripts that would make SEQ maps from the mapfiend maps. What kind of script would be needed? I can do them in the preferred script, it will just take me a few days if I have to learn that scripting language first.

I can help clean up what maps have problems, with the SOE maps, and post new ones on mapfiend if needed.

I want to help where it is needed concerning maps. Just let me know what I can do to help and I am all over it. Its the programming I have fun with lately, whether its scripting, C#, windows, C++, vbscript, bash, whatever. If I don't know it, thats half the fun of learning it. Yep, I am a pretty sick individual. I like to learn.

Razzle

tanner
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
All of showeq, including the maps, that I maintain for debian/ubuntu are available via launchpad.net (think of it like sourceforge, but stable).

https://launchpad.net/showeq

IMHO, it would be great to have Fatal mapfiend them, but from a debian/ubuntu perspective, I need tarball/zip so I can create a package out of them for 'apt-get install showeq' easy of install.

All the code for showeq is under bzr and a summary page is here:

https://code.launchpad.net/showeq

The latest version of maps I his here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~showeq-team/showeq/maps-3.0

Would it make sense to have the showeq maps in some sort of revision control (I'm partial to launchpad/bzr, but anywere is fine) where the showeq community works on them, tracks changes, and ultimately publishes the files, so all Fatal has to do is snarf this repository (tarball/zip) and host them on mapfiend?

Fatal
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Tell me how you want it to work.

I can put it back the way it used to be where you had to select SEQ format and instead of zip I could make it a tarball, but I want to know what functionality you want.

Would just a tarball work? When I generate the nightly zips, I can just run it through the conversion script and create the tarball. That file would have the top rated maps and not any specific ones, though.

As far as map quality goes.. I don't make the maps and the only change I ever make is running them through optimization routines. You should see the ones I flat out reject. horrid.

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Lol - I bet

That my vote is a gzipped tarball (since I think that's what the SEQ source is packaged as) generated nightly based on the same maps included in the All Maps pack would work.

I would only include the _1 maps. Not the _2 maps. All the extra numbers, lines, and NPC names just clutter things up. That's what the other functions of SEQ is for :)

That's what I would like to see. If others have a different view, go ahead.

ieatacid
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I would only include the _1 maps. Not the _2 maps. All the extra numbers, lines, and NPC names just clutter things up. That's what the other functions of SEQ is for :)

I agree.

Razzle
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I vote for tarball too.

I will put together a set of maps with the _1 maps.

Do you want labels such as for zones lines? POK book locations?

Removing all the crap, such as every freaking NPC in the zone.

Or do you all prefer all labels gone?

Razzle