PDA

View Full Version : Is SEQ 4.0 "Done"?

n-sane
12-21-2001, 12:53 AM
Just curious... the EXP meter is still goofed, I was guessing some changes would have been made there to change that in accordance with the new exp data rather than leaving it broke.

Also, is there a wish-list?

I wish I could still use + and - to zoom the map. <grin>

Not complaining, just wondering if I should be patient for more fixes or continue to try and bumble my way through modifying my version so suit my desires.

Thanks!!

Zaphod
12-21-2001, 01:59 AM
More changes are coming, but as the holidays approach I've been a bit distracted. Upcoming changes/features I'm working on (they'll appear when I'm satisfied with them, listed in no particular order:
+ Migration to the SINS logging code
+ Migrate SINS spawn monitor and spawn point list
+ Some keyboard accelerators for the new maps
+ Add a bar with easy access cartography tools to the maps
+ Clean up the EQPlayer code
+ Better support for Qt 3.x
+ Fix the experience handling and the experience window
+ An inventory window (with both player and bank inventory).
+ optimized packet dispatch with configurable opcodes.
+ Add more packet size checks (for variable length and encrypted packets)

Ongoing:
+ Speed Optimization
+ Size Optimization
+ Bug fixes
+ Recovering from Verants patches.
+ Integrating useful patches people contribute.

Crazy ideas:
+ Make a system to automagically diagnose opcode swaps. Have the system determine what opcodes are being used for based on packet payload size and content heuristics.
+ Make it so that ShowEQ will run on a Compaq iPAQ running Linux. :cool:

As to leaving the experience code broke, it was more or less a runway to re-release issue. In the last days leading up to the release we were more focused on stability issues (crash bugs and decoding issues) than new features (ie. making experience work again).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

n-sane
12-21-2001, 11:11 AM
Yup, I know about the experience changes ;) For now I just watch the first exp number in the bottom of the main window to see when I get another point added to my experience.

Another minor issue that I noticed: EQ Time no longer works.

Thanks for the update, Zaphod!

Froglok Forager
12-21-2001, 12:23 PM
LOVE the new version, it looks really nice.

I just wanted to second the map zooming keys suggestion. Please bring 'em back! + and - to zoom map in/out...

Thanks

FF

Tristan469
12-21-2001, 01:29 PM
/agreed

The map zooming buttons (+/-) are a must! I would really appreciate seeing this functionality added once more.

Cheers!

Ratt
12-21-2001, 01:50 PM
I just want to add some stuff to what Zaphod as said...

SEQ will never be "done", and we are _always_ wanting patches/bells/whistles/etc...

Never feel like you can't contribute, even if it's minor. I can't guarentee your patches will be incorporated into the tree, but even if they aren't, the process of creating the patch and such will be an invaluable learning experience, which is what SEQ is all about anyway.

Always try to submit your patch against the most current version of the tree that you can, to make integration the most painless as possible.

The experience window has taken a bit of a back seat for obvious reasons, and the holidays are throwing a further kink into this...

I would like to get the AA and regular exp stuff nailed down and incorporated into something fairly usable in the tree. I know someone did some "estimation" exp patches, perhaps we can expand and update that... it won't be accurate, but might give a little bit of detail on what we are looking at.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make exp more functional, please speak up/code up. The EXP values were one of the best things of SEQ... I wish Verant had left that alone, there really wasn't any reason to do that, other than to tweak our noses, sadly. I don't see that it was unbalancing the game any, however, I suspect, they can fudge a bit more now, and no one will know... it's a bad thing all around.