PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion to work around crashes

bioseq
03-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Hello,

Since the latest version of SEQ, I've been getting a number of crashes (for whatever reason, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on). I am running on a reg linux box (Mandrake 8.0) and displaying by X on an OSX mac.

Problem arises when SEQ crashes and I restart. It is no huge deal to get the keys back by zoning in and out, but sometimes I just can't zone (long camp, too many buffs on my pet so they get lost if I zone and/or middle of battle).

I would assume it would be easy to have SEQ write the keys to a file everytime it zones (replacing the old key) and everytime it starts, it would check that key to see if it worked. If it did, it would just be able to continue normally, if it didnt, it would decode the key as normally during zoning.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Cryonic
03-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Only problem is, SEQ won't have all the information that is passed to the client during zone, so the key might only help on dealing with new spawns, but all the old ones will stay grey/unknown.

high_jeeves
03-14-2002, 04:47 PM
As well as all character stats... they are only sent on zone (other than food/water/stamina percentages).. even HP, which is sent as a currVal/maxVal, wouldnt work, since the curVal is really curVal + HP modifiers from all items (which are only sent on zone or equip new item). Wouldnt be useful unless ShowEQ saved its entire state (it would have to do so fairly frequently to reduce the number of anomolies)

--jeeves

bioseq
03-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Right, but I think that the issue will be fixed anyways as you as you zone. All that it needs to do is be able to come back up to a "semi" working state, so that functionally you can gain some of its usability, w/o breaking your camp.

The "Marauder's Map" feature is its main feature, (including cons etc. Even if that information is not resent, if SEQ restarts in zone, it could at least deal with the new spawns as they come).

I realize the easiest thing is to zone, but I've found myself in many situations where I can't really zone w/o losing camp, etc.

Yeah, I agree this is more of a hack, than a fix... if SEQ crashed less it would be a nonissue :P However, I don't know enough to fix that :)

Other than that, I love SEQ!... tracking Shamies rule!

Thanks

DrArt

Zaphod
03-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Done... See http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=686 for more details...

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

bioseq
03-17-2002, 08:33 AM
very nice!

I'm impressed! :D :D

DrArt