PDA

View Full Version : FreeBSD Compatibility Patch and Newbie Install Guide

segv
03-27-2002, 03:58 PM
A few months back, I submitted compatibility patches for FreeBSD that never seemed to make it in to the distribution.

Because I was submitting the patch for inclusion in the source, I took the time to do the "right thing", and produce an autoconf solution that removed the dependency on <stdint.h>. Although this file is part of the ISO specification, many unices still provide the same declarations in <sys/types.h> and <inttypes.h> (even Linux). The patch dynamically created a localized stdint.h based on the includes provided by your environment (For systems that support <stdint.h>, it was simply included).

Well I'm not doing it again - just so it can sit in the patch repository until obsolesence. Instead, here is the ghetto solution I have been maintaining for the last few months:

http://multiple.divide.org/fbsdseqpatch-0.5.gz

Maybe IT will get merged.

Firstly, if you are not synced and running FreeBSD-stable, you should be (otherwise, no go).

You will need to compile and install the following ports:

gcc30
libgnugetopt
lib z
gnu autoconf
gnu automake
gnu make
libtool
gnu dbm
lib gd
lib png

Next, grab QT 2.3.2 or later from http://www.troll.no/ .

Untar the distribution, and move the entire directory to /usr/local/qt. Read the install instructions, and BEFORE running configure edit ./configs/freebsd-g++-shared and change all of the instances of "gcc" and "g++" to "gcc30" and "g++30" respectively. Run configure (with threading enabled), and compile.

Grab the latest CVS from the SEQ CVS repository, enter the showeq/ working directory, and:

export CC="gcc30"
export CPP="g++30"
export CXX="g++30"
export LIBS="-lgnugetopt"

Then:

gmake -f Makefile.dist no-backup

Then:

./configure

Download the patch, de-gzip, and copy the file to your showeq/ working directory. Install the patch with:

patch -p0 < fbsdseqpatch-0.5

Now:

gmake
gmake install

Enjoy.

Feel free to e-mail with questions, but please no "how do I install gcc?" - RTFM.

Regards,
James (segv)

fee
03-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Was your patch #496466? I believe Zaphod was attempting to work out some issues with you before committing the changes.

Check the patch manager or come to the irc channel if you have concerns about your work not being added.

Fee