PDA

View Full Version : What? (flames inc)

neocomet
03-29-2002, 01:27 PM
ok i've been looking at hackersquest for some time now and after hearing about showeq and such i'm wondering what u have to know to use this program and how u go about using it, i've seen you guys flame peps so i'll assume i'm gonna get flamed, but oh well, any info would be appreciated thx.

Cryonic
03-29-2002, 02:12 PM
Basic knowledge of linux, networking, programming and compiling programs on Unix operating systems, and of course knowledge of cvs and how it works.

S_B_R
03-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Don't forget the ability to use the Search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) function... :D

high_jeeves
03-29-2002, 08:28 PM
And of course, the ability to post help questions in the help forum...

--Jeeves

Virusmaster
04-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Personally I think you guys give too much help on the install and setup of SEQ. I went from "Linux what?" to showeq user in just a couple of weekends. Yes it was a lot of learning, and a lot of reading and a lot of errors (mostly my own fault) but in the end it fired up and worked (better than sex I tell you:). If you keep posting more and more helpful guides, there will be a lot of dumbass "D00Dz" out there ganking MY mobs while I am out there ganking YOUR mobs!! Only thing I think is good about all the help is that the number of topics and the quantity of similar info should confuse any wannabe linux noobs if they ever do figure out how to search a message board. Flat out folks, the needed info is all on the boards already, and way too easy to obtain in my opinion. <--- note the phrase "In my opinion"...

S_B_R
04-01-2002, 02:15 PM
I tend to agree with Virusmaster on this. But I also think some of these n00bs are actually learning something and that's always a good thing. So, I keep trying to "help" in my own special way... :D

Spewn
04-04-2002, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I used to hate the expression RTFM...but that was when I was young and foolish, I'd used linux maybe once or twice before trying to install seq. I knew commands like ls, and rm, but that was about it. I had to install redhat 3 times, THREE, before I got the install right, and with a little bit of troubleshooting, and reading all the manuals etc, had seq running in TWO days(a grueling two days, but still). Now unfortunately, the computer that I have seq setup on has to be accross the room. What I would like to know though, is if anyone knows how I could setup seq to run through vmware so I could look at and use seq FROM my eq machine, but have it running on another one. SEQ isn't all that useful without that ability IMO, I mean yeah, if I feel like popping into seb and seeing if the guardian is up with a lammy, i can do that, but for much of anything else seq isn't that great.

Spewn

Ratt
04-04-2002, 01:17 AM
You should use an xwindows client on your windows machine and pull the SEQ window across instead of using VMWare.

SomeNecro
04-06-2002, 03:07 PM
Actually, I wouldn't mind to be told to RTFM if I could find a FMTR!

0x8000FFFF
04-08-2002, 01:39 PM
http://www.linuxdoc.org/

Now have at it :)

SomeNecro
04-08-2002, 02:48 PM
/bonk

I mean one on seq, not linux...

RSB
04-08-2002, 10:30 PM
SomeNecro - if you already have ShowEQ downloaded via CVS then there are a few text files to help you get going included in the distribution. Look for "README" and "INSTALL" and "INSTALLNEWBIE" (i think)

The guides on howto install like
Install for RedHat 7.2 (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273)
and
HOWTO: Installing ShowEQ on Mandrake 8.1 Clean Install (http://boards.hackersquest.org/viewtopic.php?t=275)
and others are pretty good.

RSB

SomeNecro
04-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Yes, I know of those, and I'm sure I was a little unclear. I've had it installed and working properly for several months. =)

I used the RedHat 7.2 Clean Install thread and it worked flawlessly. What I mean is a little clearer documentation on general useage. I know I can showeq -help and get runtime options, I know the conf/showeq.conf.dist has some basic information in it.

Sorry for the confusion, my post was meant mainly as a joke, and a stab at the fact that it'd be nice to have a little file somewhere that showed all the options, with a few more examples, but I can find that here searching the boards.

Closest example I can think of is in doc/configfile.doc, just be nice to have all these readme's and so consolidated somewhere. Didn't mean to confuse, like I said, it was mainly a joke. =)

Somenecro

darkangelx
04-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Spewn:
You say SEQ isnt that great, then dont use it. Sorry to hear something prevents you from having 2 comps next to each other (i find it odd that anyone that can do this cant figure out how to get 2 monitors next to each other with relative ease, but i wont go there...)

I went from linux n00bie to decently ok. I had no clue how to even install it, now i can do it in my sleep. I learned alot about networking, setting up seq, to the point i was helping on hackersquest and writing up guides for newbies because if i didnt have this info I would not be where i am today. Thank you to everyone that has helped. Ratt is the bomb.

I am the bane of Everquest(VI) because of the knowledge I have gained here.

cbreaker
04-14-2002, 11:34 PM
I think SEQ is invaluable. If for nothing else, the map display. I love knowing where I am on the map, and what direction I'm facing. Also helps for navigating zones without being attacked. This is the primary use I have for SEQ.

I can't back ya up on that "If you don't like it don't use it" comment though, because man, I hate that =)

-cb

WTBShowRL
04-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Ratt,

Don't you mean he could use a xwindow server on his windows machine? :D

(No offense intended, and hell I could be wrong, and I do appreciate all you do for the SEQ community, I just wanted my first post to be correcting Ratt:) )

Edit: Info on xwindow servers for Windows can be found at various sites. Try looking for X-Win32, Pexus' X-Deep/32, or PowerLAN(Formerly White Pines Software, inc.)'s eXodus.
(Note: Not trying to promote any companies, so trying to give a diverse set of options) I don't know of any free versions (Perhaps someone else does and would like to chime in), but you may want to see about student versions (read: big discounts).

Mr Guy
04-19-2002, 06:39 AM
If I remember right the terminology is all screwed up for xwindows server/clients. I think you are right the linux box would connect to the "server" on the windows box.

By the way, notice Spewn was NOT saying SEQ was worthless. He was saying it was worthless if you can't see whats on the screen. I think I have to give him that; there is only so much audio alerts can help you with.

cbreaker
04-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Ratt was simply wording things as not to confuse anyone.

It's not "xwindows" it's X. Just X. You can also call it "The X Window Enviroment" if you wish.

X uses a distributed architecture; a host runs the application workload itself, where the "X Server" (or X Graphics server) runs locally and handles much of the the graphics workload.

The reason that your client machine is considered the server is because it sits there waiting for a hosted application (be it on the local machine as well ore not) to send data to it on a TCP port or other network mechanism. (could be a local unix domain port when running the hosted program and graphics display server on the same machine)

If you run an application that uses X, the application will connect to the X Graphics server and send graphics information, not the other way around.

Because of the way this system is designed, you can potentially run applications that require a very high level of computing power on a very large scale host, and see it on your workstation over a network, rather then sit at a terminal connected directly to the host.

It also allows a single system to provide many graphical desktops in one easy-to-manage server/host.