PDA

View Full Version : Have we become too advanced (SEQ)..?

Chuin
04-09-2002, 04:17 PM
I am asking this becasue I find tons of options in the menus of SEQ that I have no clue what they offer, and I'm not sure I'm missing anything.

I guess I would be considered a basic user. All I need is the map and the spawn list (broken down by zone). I really don't need a EXP window, just knowing a mob is 2 levels higher then the other tells me I should expect more EXP from killing it. I don't really need the Spells window even though I an a Shaman. I use myself as a timer for when I need to rebuff my group and I have gained a pretty good feel for when my DoTs are about to wear off.

A few patches ago I also noticed a lot of "Crates" dots in zones like BW. What are these and how can I get rid of them from my display?

I think SEQ is a great program and I applaud all those that work and offer suggestions to the development guys, I am just wondering what percentage of other SEQ users are considered basic users like myself?

Thankx... Chuin

fee
04-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Chuin,

curiosity has gotten the better of me. what was your point? I am slightly confused.

Also, if you are unclear about how to filter certain spawns from the map, then you have infacted missed a valuable feature.

fee

Virusmaster
04-10-2002, 07:42 AM
I think many folks are considered "basic" users. Most probably find the map and mob locations to be all they need. I use a few more features, but not all. We all have our own way of doing things, and thus all the options (although the compass does seem redundant to me)

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 04:23 PM
maybe they could replace the compas with a little figure that dances around and stuff in time to the music playing on your computer? it could be dressed like a hot darkie or a hot woodelf or maybe even a nice yummy high elf...

ack, nevermind

RSB
04-10-2002, 07:31 PM
The compass is actually usefull agian if you think about it. when in a zone like TD you can't really tell easily which direction you are pointed if you are at 1xZoom if you keep the circle at 200 units.

Chuin - do you use MS Word? Do you actually use more than 5% of the features in it? I know legal firms that still use a DOS version of word star but most places just upgrade and ignore the features that they don't need. SEQ is more than just for the masses. It is also for the elite few that really want to do some interesting things with it. It is also for the developers to use as a tool when Verant change things. Instead of having different versions and code bases it more easily managed as 1 big unit. If you don't need something....just ignore it.

RSB

sakshale
04-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Maybe some of those who use the new features
could expand the collection of files in the
doc/ directory to add some more information on
the various options.

One subject I would like a tutorial on is using
the mapping features so that I can help update
some of the maps.

Cryonic
04-11-2002, 03:40 PM
Guide to the map features (funny what you can find when you search)

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=817

sakshale
04-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Cryonic:
Guide to the map features (funny what you can find when you search)
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthre...s=&threadid=817

/g Buffing against Fire!
/cast 7
/g Incoming %T

My point was that, for example, that excellent information on mapping should be taken, placed into a file called mapping.txt and included in the doc directory.

I just don't think users should have to search the forums on source forge and hackers quest, or the source code itself, to find out how to do something with the program.

Sakshale

Cryonic
04-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Then I guess you just volunteered to compile the information from the forums into docs that can be included with SEQ.

good luck, let us know when done.

sakshale
04-15-2002, 11:35 PM
Then I guess you just volunteered to compile the information from the forums into docs that can be included with SEQ.

Actually, as the person who wrote the first man page for showeq, I saw that one coming. If I get some time, I will. But it won't happen this week.

Sakshale

Boogyman
04-16-2002, 08:31 AM
I dont know.. I kinda like the idea that showeq is somewhat overwhelming(sp) and confusing. I mean if showeq makes it to the stage where my mom can figure it out, then that means everyone will be using it, the few intelligent(sp) users that were smart enough to figure it out the hard way, will have lost their edge and Verant would start breaking SEQ on a weekly basis. I like that I'm one of the few on my server that use SEQ... it gives me a feeling like I've managed to acquire(sp) some very rare item that allows me to do things others cannot... just as if someone got one of those holgresh beeds that makes the eye of zomm. I'm al for sharing and helping new people that come along, but when you start hand holding, its no more fun... its kinda like nature filters out the weak, well, SEQ/Linux filters out the stupid.

Just my 2cp.