PDA

View Full Version : Retarded QT 2.3.2 Question???

n-sane
12-22-2001, 12:05 AM
So I got seq 4.0 working great with QT 2.3.2 ..... but now none of my other stuff wants to work. (ie - KDE) it spits out a bunch of qt error messages.

<bangs head against the desk>

Am I missing something stupid here?

Thanks

Yendor
12-22-2001, 10:30 AM
KDE likely wants a version of qt not compiled with gcc3, it will be a little tricky but you should be able to install both. Just in different directories and tell showeq to use one and everything else to use another. This is yet another reason (YAR) the move to gcc3 was a horrific idea.

First step will be to rename the directory you put the qt you compiled in. Say rename /usr/local/qt-2.3.2 to /usr/local/qt-2.3.2-gcc3

Remove the link you may have made for /usr/local/qt to /usr/local/qt-2.3.2 (or if you just called your install directory /usr/local/qt, rename it to /usr/local/qt-2.3.2-gcc3).

Now install your system's version of qt and see if you can get all of KDE to work again.

Now provided you can get THAT to work, you can reconfigure/rebuild showeq. Set your QTDIR and related
variables (sorry I don't feel like looking it all up, but its all the
variables the qt build instructions tell you to set) to point
to the qt in /usr/local/qt-2.3.2-gcc3 and then remake showeq.
That SHOULD work. I apologize for not being precise, but short
of doing it myself I can just point you in a general direction.
You may have to set all those environment variables in whatever shell you run showeq from (but that shell may not be able to then start any KDE apps.. not 100% sure on the runtime details here).

You can also switch your desktop to Gnome instead of KDE and
maybe avoid the problem that way as I don't think Gnome uses
Qt. Personally I don't have disk space for either desktop system so I don't have to worry about it. :)

Hope that provides you some ideas.

n-sane
12-22-2001, 12:54 PM
Thanks Yendor, that's what I was figuring, but I kept telling myself "nah, no way it's that complicated...I'm missing something stupid here".

Yet another reason linux may NEVER provide any significant competition to Windoze as a primary operating system...<sigh>...which I think is sad, we need a viable alternative to Windoze....but this is not the appropriate place for that thread, so let's not go down that road.

Thanks again!!

Yendor
12-22-2001, 02:53 PM
It's not Linux's fault. It's because somebody changed the development tools needed for ShowEQ to be something different than what the rest of the system was built with.

Or I suppose, if you prefer, you can blame the gcc development team for changing the way their C++ generates (mangles) names for the linker. But it is more gratifying to blame the showeq devteam :).

Hope you can sort everything out.