PDA

View Full Version : I got nothing but a blank map. thoughts?

repudi8or
12-22-2001, 01:50 AM
Folks,

I am probably missing something simple, but i installed all patches and compiled showeq with no probs. Now when i first log in map stays totally empty. When I zone it brings up the new zone map but with no representation of anything on it. not mobs, npcs, me, nothing. Any thoughts?

I am redhat 7.1 btw and used the instructions posted here to install everything without error.

Regards Repudi8or

RavenCT
12-22-2001, 03:03 PM
Did you make sure you set your IP Address in the showeq.conf file? Just my guess...

repudi8or
12-22-2001, 04:08 PM
yep, my ip address is set correctly as is the interface. As I said, I see the packet counter in showeq on the status bar incrementing but nothing shows on the map. Also, it switches maps when I zone, so that part is working too.

Thanks in advance
Repudi8or

Mr Guy
12-22-2001, 04:19 PM
Two thoughts, are you using depth filtering, and have you tried without the patches?

Try doing just a clean CVS install, check if it works, patch, check it if works, patch again...etc

repudi8or
12-22-2001, 07:08 PM
hmmm. thought i fixed it by recompiling with new copy of libEQ.a but not. still getting blank map after zoning. Sigh back to drawing board ! tried a clean cvs (after totally removing seq from everywhere) same problem. Its weird that it will pick up the map change when I zone (thus obviously receiving packets ok) but will not show any objects on the map. I have also discovered if i start showeq after I am already logged in to EQ then manually load the map for the zone i am in, it will work as gps but without showing any mobs on map or in spawnlist (not even unknown is shown).

Any other ideas?

repudi8or

repudi8or
12-24-2001, 12:36 AM
In reply to Mr Guy & RavenCT

No I am not using depth filtering.

I have not put on any of the patches

I had set correctly my ip address in showeq.conf.

Anyone got thoughts about how I can further diagnose whats going on here? I am thinking now to just upgrade the system to Redhat 7.2 and start from scratch. The thing that is annoying is that showeq seems to be receiving the data ok from libpcap its only representing it on the map it is having problems with.

Regards Repudi8or

Eukatae
12-25-2001, 12:44 AM
and please dont be insulted by the question, you have the ip adress of the computer that eq is running in defined in showeq.conf and not the ip adress of your linux box? if you have your linux box acting as a firewall with 2 nics, do you have the right interface defined, ie eth0 eth1..

repudi8or
12-25-2001, 12:56 AM
my linux box is acting as firewall and NAT server. I have tried both the interface for the linux box on the internet with its corresponding address AND the interface going to my local lan with the ip address of the windows box where I run everquest. Same story. Is there any application error log that I can enable to see if some internal error is happening?

Regards Repudi8or

repudi8or
12-25-2001, 04:04 PM
ok had to go the hard way. full new os install, patches, qt, showeq. YAY now working. no idea what the prob was before, but thatnk for trying folks.

Regards Repudi8or

RavenCT
12-25-2001, 09:29 PM
Well, I may not have solved it for ya, but glad I could try...

Happy SEQing! :)

moosifer
12-26-2001, 04:15 AM
I know the thread's about dead since a re-install fixed the problem, but let's pretend that I'm having the same problem and I don't feel like reinstalling....

Everything builds fine, runs fine, etc. but if I launch showeq and then start EQ client, I get nothing - not even a GPS. If I launch showeq after EQ client is up, the GPS works, but as soon as I zone the correct map loads and then I lose everything, including the GPS.

The hash on my showeq binary is the same as the hash on a known good binary. Running the known good binary exhibits the same behavior. libEQ.a is the correct version, and the binary builds with decryption. Libpcap is working fine (packet counter increments, and tcpdump sees all traffic).

Gremlins?

Any ideas - other than re-install everything? It's not that I'm opposed to spending the 15 minutes rebuilding, it's just plain stupid, stubborn curiosity at this point.

MOOSIFER!

lordofchaos01
12-26-2001, 09:56 PM
After 3 days of futzing and reinstalling, I finally get it to work, but I get NOTHING!! Just the packet count going up :( I have no idea whats wrong, I'm no good in Linux....can someone try and give me some ideas?

repudi8or
12-27-2001, 12:17 AM
you can try setting in showeq.conf the ip address you are monitoring to the address of your eq client machine (ie NOT the linux box ip address) and setting the interface to the interface going to your local lan (ie NOT the interface going to the internet). This has resolved this type of issue for me before. Didnt work for me in this case. If worst comes to worst, you will just have to go the entire reinstall like I did.

Regards Repudi8or

winseq
12-27-2001, 06:44 PM
I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about until I updated my showeq.conf file to the 4.0 version. When I next ran showeq, I got no map or gps or anything. Turning on UseOldFilters in the Filters section fixed it. (I have no idea why this worked.)

lordofchaos01
12-28-2001, 10:12 AM
Weel, for starters, this is a new install...are there perticular packets that i might need to make sure do/don't get installed? Since installing I've install Yahoo Messenger and SEQ. I tried the UseOldFilters thing, and I got nothing. Any Other Ideas??

G2F
12-28-2001, 04:54 PM
I'm having the same problem..got everything installed and everything, but when I run SEQ, all I get is nothingness...blank map...blank everything..the packet count slowly(atleast it seems slow to me) goes up .. got to about 40ish after 5-10 minutes last time...have tried everything suggested in this thread except reinstalling Redhat 7.2, which shouldn't be neccessary since I just installed ita bout 2 days ago...any other suggestions? :(

Zaphod
12-29-2001, 05:04 PM
If anyone seeing this problem could post their showeq.conf file with a description of their setup it might help us figure out what's going on with you.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Wolffe
12-31-2001, 01:12 AM
hi,

I am currently having this same problem, I am attaching my showeq.conf to this post.

My setup is as follows:

CableModem --> Linksys Router --> 8 Port Hub --> Eqmachine attached to hub --> Linux Box attached to Hub

If you need anything else please feel free to let me know ;)

Wolffe

yyz
01-05-2002, 12:07 AM
I started having the blank map problem once I did the CVS update that fixed the group seg fault. No hardware changes (hub etc) have been made.

During my troubleshooting on the problem I ran tcpdump in another window to verify the seq box was seeing traffic. With tcpdump running everything works fine. I kill tcpdump, and everything stops. No compass updates, nada.

My usual way of starting seq was with the win box's IP as an argument. I've also tried adding it to the showeq.conf.

I hope my small input helps.

p.s. Ratt, Zaph, and the rest of the dev team, you guys are awesome.

winseq
01-05-2002, 06:49 AM
I'd suggest at this point to double check the IP you think you're using. Make sure the nic is using the IP you think it is, make sure you're entering the IP correctly, etc. If this doesn't work, you might also try letting showeq auto-find the client's IP (use 127.0.0.0 as the IP or use the menu option).

If you tell showeq to monitor a specific IP and EQ is using a different IP (by accident or whatever) then you won't see anything in showeq because showeq will set up it's packet capture filters to only accept UPD traffic for the address you specified.

yyz
01-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Good idea Win, but I thought of that. I even get the line;

Filtering packets on device eth0. IP host <correct ip of eq box>

when starting seq up.

Zaphod
01-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Try the auto detect feature that win mentioned by setting the "IP" in "Network" section of your showeq.conf to either "auto" or "127.0.0.0". Then when you enter your character or zone it should automagically detect your EQ client.

Also, if your showeq machine has multiple NIC's that the "Device" setting in the "Network" section is set to the correct device.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

yyz
01-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Tried using "auto" in the .conf file. No joy. The linux box only has 1 nic btw.

The next thing I'll probably try is a total reinstall of showeq. Seems like I'm missing something that should be painfully obvious and simple.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

yyz
01-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Did a clean reinstall. Still didn't help. Attacthing my .conf file to see if someone might catch something I missed. Only changes I've made from the .dist are font size and turning off a few windows.

As for IP of the EQ box, I've tried it in the .conf, auto in the .conf, and as part of the command line. Command line was how I'd been starting since 2.something in case I wanted to spawn another seq window for a second eq box.

Thanks