PDA

View Full Version : eqw & trace-ability

e@tme
04-20-2002, 06:30 PM
I know this is slightly off topic here but here goes ;)

I wish to play eq in window mode, and am thinking of using the eqw app.

My question is, can this be traced by verant?

*insert Flames here*

Thanks and keep up the great dev work on seq - if i knew more, i would help hehe :)

Thanks

high_jeeves
04-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Could it be? Yes, quite easily...

Is it? No...

Generally its safe, but use at your own risk...

--Jeeves

HanzO
05-09-2002, 03:59 PM
I love it.

I've had numerous discussions with GMs right while I am running it.

You have to know you run it at your own risk, but in reality I think they care more if you are running EQ in a window with a real-time memory editor running at the same time.

I just run two EQW's at the same time and simulate 2 boxes.

Works like a charm.

Now if I could just get SEQ to run in vmware in the background on the same box without lagging em all to hell I'd be in hog-heaven.

As it is now, I have to pick -- 2 EQWs *OR* SEQ ;(

Gungadin
05-09-2002, 09:18 PM
I'm curious, what could you really do with a real time memory editor that would be of any real use?

I believe All the rolls for attacks, resists etc are done one server, and it also keeps track of your hp and mana, and stats, so other than movement speed, maybe being able to fly, and possibly spell recycle time, what else could you hope to adjust?

fryfrog
05-09-2002, 10:26 PM
there are a fair number of things that you can memory edit. i don't know anything about them first hand so i could be totally wrong but they include things like...

stopping drowning, period, adding certain effects to a spell (say lev or runspeed to a crap lvl 1 buff), and umm... well pretty much anything that is client side. while most of the "cool" stuff IS serverside, there are SOME things that are done client side. i believe position is one of them. pull your nic cable for about 10 seconds and then plug it back in. you will probably end up where you ran to in the client and just "appear" there rather than stopping where you pulled out and then poping in when you put it back in...

anyway i think there used to be a LOT more that was client side (such as /random!) but they realized the tarded ness of that and fixed it :)

high_jeeves
05-09-2002, 11:18 PM
The only thing you have to be careful of is server side "Sanity Checks"... For example.. if you try to hack your location, you will probably be caught.. they are checking run speed for hacking.. if you go 1000 loc units in 1 second, you will probably be flagged... generally most of the memory hacking stuff is for people who just want to be l33t... You can reset your sense heading timer... big woop.. anything that you would really want to do has been moved server side by now, or has had a sanity check placed on it..

--Jeeves

Sum_Yung_Gai
05-10-2002, 08:11 PM
They _may_ be running serverside "sanity checks", but it would have to be more advanced than checking to make sure deltadistance/deltatime isn't too large, or it would flag you every time you got CoHd or moves to safe spot underworld or were /summoned by a guide/mob etc. Imho it is unlikely that they actually do this. I could be wrong.

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Trust me on this one... they do.. Some very basic sanity checks will take care of 80% of the problems... the advanced ones they dont bother with... checking delta dist / delta time is being done.. people have been banned for it... I'm not claiming they check EVERYTHING.. but its just like law enforcement.. you dont know what they are checking, and that is a deterrent :)

--Jeeves

Sum_Yung_Gai
05-12-2002, 10:34 PM
To my knowledge, the people that have been banned for this were observed by a GM speedhacking in game. The GMs that I have talked to have never mentioned any tools they have to check on things like this. In fact, it's quite the opposite, they have stated on more than one occasion that they do not have those tools. Now, it could be that the devs/secret EQ police have the tools to check this, I am no expert. I know they will ban you instantly for messing with the server, but things like Location tweaking, I am still skeptical of. As for the question about EQW, I have spoken with devs before on the issue, they say they don't have the toold to detect it. And mostly they don't care.

high_jeeves
05-12-2002, 10:50 PM
The "sanity checks" would have to be internal only... As for EQW... like I said earlier.. they dont check, they dont really care about it, from what i can tell...

COULD they check if they wanted to? Yeah, it would be easy for them... WILL they? I doubt its worth their time or trouble...

--Jeeves

Sum_Yung_Gai
05-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Yeah no point in losing customers that give you cash every month because they use something that doesn't alter the gameplay in any way.