PDA

View Full Version : Extracting permissions

occyv
04-20-2002, 09:51 PM
like all showeq noobs im just starting out. I installed Linux redhat 7.2, chose tom use Lilo to dualboot. now i understand the command lines and how to use them to autodownload showeq and install the rpm's. But my problem is the security setting in linux, i dont have permission to "open packages index using db3" and also I have no permissions at all with the root directory, i write to it or extract anything to it. It says im not the owner. This is fun learning a new OS just kind of frustrating atm. How can i give myself ownership permissions and open packages using db3 ? any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Octavio

Cryonic
04-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Time for a noob to RTFM:

Dead tree format:
Running Linux
Linux in a Nutshell

Web docs:
www.linuxnewbie.org
www.redhat.com
www.linuxdocs.org

occyv
04-21-2002, 10:42 AM
well i have read most these documents and its nice info and all, but seems everything that has anything to do with linux and showeq is just a runaround. They all explain why linux does this or why it does that but they dont tell you how to actually change the permissions to allow access to root and db3. I guess ill continue Eversearch my new full time game )

high_jeeves
04-21-2002, 10:55 AM
You might want to consider re-reading the HOWTO.. the instructions are in black and white on how to do this... you just arent following them correctly...

note: you dont have to change permissions on anything..

--Jeeves

bonkersbobcat
04-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Ask youself, what user context am I operating in? If you can't can't get to the /root directory and you can't install software then you are probably not operating in an administrative context. In the windows world this would be the "administrator" account. In the Unix world it is the "root" account.

Either log in as "root", or better yet, log in with your user account and use the "su" command to change your security context

(Also it would be better to ask these questions in the help forum instead of the general discussion forum...)

occyv
04-21-2002, 02:24 PM
most people on this site instead of just helping like to just give the runaround. why not be helpfull and just give the correct answer. i found it, it such a simple response someone could have just put type su, then your password - but i know its better to just tell people the long way or go figure out yourself

Cryonic
04-21-2002, 05:38 PM
We don't give anyone the runaround. The information asked for is already around, either in these forums or elsewhere.

Hence the ability to search the forums.

Ratt
04-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Linux is based off the old cliche "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for life."

If we just give you the answer you have learned nothing. If you are unwilling to learn, then you are not the type of person that needs to use ShowEQ.

fryfrog
04-21-2002, 09:34 PM
ratt hit the nail on the head. the most important aspect of learning linux (and even in real live) is knowing where to go to get help. you can't always depend on someone finding the answer for you. sometimes you will have to look yourself.

if there is someone near me who knows, i goto them and ask them to show me how and explain it. if there isn't, i pop open my favorite search engine (google) and search for it. once i've read about it and still have trouble with it, i hop onto IRC and join a #linuxhelp channel.

asking for help is very important, but phrasing it is FAR more important than just asking for help. you have to SHOW US that you tried. you have to PROVE that you didn't just pop up with a stupid question that google can answer with in the first few hits. if you don't understand something, explain what you DO understand and that you HAVE tried to understand. show us what you DON'T understand and why you don't understand it even after reading the help files or HOWTO's (there are SO many howto most people would cry, and they are usually installed ON your linux system!).

anyway, its already been stated above. there are certain places in the unix/linux filesystem that have certain permissions. its like having locks on your door (or maybe a fancy security system with badge scanners like my work).

sure, the secratery can get in the front door and around the general office... but does her badge get her into the server room with 5,000 servers and multiple fiber connections to the internet? no.

linux is the same way. the "/root" dir is the domain of the admin. normal users can't go there. the "rpm" error about db3 is just the system saying "hey, you can't actually INSTALL any software" because you don't have admin level access. would you want your little brother to accidentally fall on your keyboard and type (i don't know if it works, but its just an example) "rpm -e *" and remove all the packages on your system?

PawnOrc
04-22-2002, 05:20 PM
OCCYV

Don't worry. These forums are dominated by people who enjoy making others feel little and stupid. Not everyone running a Linux box is either little and stupid or one who makes others feel that way.

The "feed them for a day" thing is thin cover for really, really bad interpersonal skills. Go read the source of that phrase and you will get the idea. Teaching is not the same as dumping on people. Each "fishermen" comes to the table with a different set of skills. - and attitudes for that matter.

Now OCCYV - let's see what kind of person you are. Will you help out new people kindly - say for a few years? Or do you just show up until your problem is solved?

I don't blame those who dump on others because I know what it is like to try and help for a few years. Makes me grumpy.

So do you get the real idea behind open source OCCYV?

high_jeeves
04-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Actually PawnOrc, it does have to do with learning... If we answered everyones question withtout making them do anything, they will never try to learn for themselves... they will simply come here for more free answers. This clearly doesnt benefit anyone (either us, or them).

This is especially true is a situation like this... there are a number of ludicrously detailed guides on this site... this guy missed a step in one... all he needs to do is re-read the guide, and figure out what he missed. If his first response is to come here and post (and if you have been around here long, you know that this is the first response of 80% of the people here), then all he is doing is bothering us for answers that are already there.

Heaven forbid people should even look somewhere else for information! I did searches based on the error message he posted on both groups.google.com and www.google.com. The answer was on the first page in both cases. This isnt rocket science, all of the information is out there... why is it the board regular's job here to answer all the questions for people who are too lazy to spend 5 minutes finding the answer for themselves?

If the business world worked that way, the whole technology industry would go to hell... If I had to go the an engineer senior of me everytime I needed to signature of some obscure threading call instead of looking it up online, or in my documentation, that more senior engineer would never get anything done. Of course, this wouldnt be an issue, since I wouldnt have a change to do this because of all of the engineers junior of me who would be constantly asking me inane questions instead of finding the answers themselves...

If someone comes here with a problem that cant be solved by using a search engine, I think most of the board regulars are quite helpful... on the other hand, we dont like our time wasted by lazy people.

--Jeeves

PawnOrc
04-23-2002, 12:25 PM
High_Jeeves,

I agree totally. What I was poking at were posts that say "rtfm" and then don't point to ANYTHING. You guide and direct. That is teaching.

My other point is to try and flush OCCYV out. I am sick of mindless slaps from people who just leave.

Open Source is about contribution. Its about a great variety of people coming together with a wide range of attitudes and abilities. SEQ is an excellent example of that.

So who is this guy? Is he a contributor or just a game cheater here to complain that he did not get help cheating?

Where's the beef OCCYV?