Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Compatible Windows Text Editor

Question Linux Compatible Windows Text Editor

Can anyone recommend a text editor for windows that is compatible with the linux cr/lf file format, I want to edit some files in SEQ and its a lot easier to do that on my windows desktop than my linux laptop.

Thanks

Serberus

HomeSite (called UltraDev nowadays I believe), but I recommend to not do it on Windows and use Kdevelop on the Linux Box instead.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 08-23-2002 at 06:10 AM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

OmniPad or UltraEdit i think support the unix cr/lf thing.

gvim works too.
    Beer

UltraEdit is, hands down, the best text editor ever made. I am VI die hard... but UltraEdit just rocks compared to any other editor I've ever used.

I use it in Wine as my normal GUI text editor.

I do have to agree with you on that one Ratt. Long ago a buddy of mine introduced me to that program and as I switch jobs it is always on of the first programs that I install.
    Beer

if you like ultraedit (and i do too) you might take a peak at omnipad from arstechnica. i do think it lacks some of the features, but i personally use it because its freeware. its been a while since i've used ultraedit, so i don't know exactly what omnipad lacks... but i use it for almost everything i do from small scripts to ini file editing to ummm, well anything that is not a .doc :)

I have been using Ultraedit for a LONG time. I have to agree with Ratt. It is by far the best text and hex editor out there.

It is so good that I actually bought a long time ago and have paid the upgrade fee a couple of times (although my current version is only 6.20 (I think they are up to V9.1 now).
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Yup, UltraEdit is up to 9.1, its my only choice for Windows text editors... if ya don't have it, at least eval it if you have to deal with windows. Its been well worth my recurring annual fees in my opinion!

If you are looking for a FREE editor, you may want to take a look at PFE (Programmers File Editor), I've used for quite some time now:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

http://www.winsite.com/info/pc/win95/misc/pfe101i.zip

thats great, thanks for the suggestions all.

I use UltraEdit myself for the hex editing but it never occured to me to use it for standard text editing.

Thanks

Serberus

Re: Linux Compatible Windows Text Editor

Originally posted by serberus
    Can anyone recommend a text editor for windows that is compatible with the linux cr/lf file format, I want to edit some files in SEQ and its a lot easier to do that on my windows desktop than my linux laptop.

Thanks

Serberus
    Wordpad.exe, a proggie that has shipped with Windows since '95.

i think if the code is correct the program used doesnt matter as you can allways change the extension.

its nice to have an editor that is smart about syntax highlighting and spacing :)

How is UltraEdit different/better than the free GVim?

Thread Information