Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New winex2.2 - Basic EQ support

Transgaming EQ on Linux working

Well after playing with it a bit I got EQ running quite well under Linux. There is a currently a big memory issue that prevents me from running more than just a few lucling textures, but other than that it is running great. Performance is comparable to Windows.

Would love it if SEQ could see the packets for EQ on Linux.

BTW My config is:

Mandrake 9.0
    Transgaming wine CVS build
    512 MB
    1700xp athlon
    GForce3 64mb

I as well was able to get EQ working under Linux (Mandrake 9.)

Machine is Athlon XP 2200+, 1GB RAM, SCSI, GF4-4600.

I had to get the latest WineX CVS to get around the unreadable text problem.

The performance is very good, and the world textures look fine. The player characters are however incomplete; I see a lot of naked bodies and solid color armor. Sound was perfect.

Also I noticed that Mip-Mapping did not appear to be working properly (or perhaps just Mip-Map dithering) so looking across a field looked a little more "jagged" then on my Windows installation. (and no, this isn't because of FSAA, I don't use FSAA ever)

Unless I wanted to run EQ in a "window," which I do not, it was seemingly impossible to switch to another desktop and then return without problems; notably a window frame around the game.

I think that with a few code updates to WineX to specifically address these problems in EQ, it would work quite well. Considering that EQ support was almost accidental (fixing other games' issues and implimenting new code), the developers shouldn't have much problems doing the rest.

Of course, I can't run it full time because SEQ apparently won't work with it. Ho hum.

As for what settings in EQ I used: Turned everything on except Texture Compression, used 16-bit mode, used 1280x1024.

I have searched but found no walk through. was hoping someone could link or post a walk through for a linux newb on how to download and install the latest winex needed for eq (free) and the instructions for installing everquest within winex.

Thanks in advance

Try Wine's own site:

http://www.winehq.com/

transgaming

Try searching transgaming's site. they have a very good walkthrough on how to set up wine and run everquest. There is even "gasp" a forum that discusses install issues!!!

Wow imagine the horror.

try www.transgaming.com and see what happens.

EQ=CPU WHORE

I'm sure you guys already know this, but your video card doesn't make a whole lot of difference when you are dealing with EQ. Now granted, it does make a difference on some of the smaller points but EQ is as much of a whore for CPU power and RAM as young casters are for KEI.

So my question is this. Are you sure that between the Linux GUI you happen to be using, and your WinEx(or whatever) that enough of your CPU/RAM is left over that EQ is happy?

I used to play EQ on an AMD 900 Duron with 384MB PC133 RAM ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB Video. I had previously been running an ATI Radeon 7000. When I upgraded video cards there was a SLIGHT performance increase, and even more of an increase when I jumped up to 512 DDR RAM. Had to udnerclock the DDR though cause of my mobo.

Now, I recently upgraded to AMD 1800+XP, 512MB DDR, ATI 8500LE, changing mobos, and I run ALL textures, 1024x768x32, clip plane all the way up, with everthing maxed out, and the ONLY place I have ANY problems is the bazaar. Even then if I just set my clip plane down a bit i'm ok. Even have particle density high which used to lag the *&^^ outta me.

Just my worthless two cents.
    One by one the Penguins steal my sanity...I wanna penguin too!!

Thread Information