Thread: Think it would be cool.....

Lightbulb Think it would be cool.....

I a newbie to SEQ, buti think it would be cool if they figured out a way to run it on the same computer you're playing EQ on. Maye link a window for full screen to the new UI or something. Or mayberunit in conjunction the EQ Windows or whatever. So you can have both up. Be a lot easier.

=P

Take a look at the FAQ, there is a very good reason why you cant do this. In general, search before you post, this has been covered MANY times before.

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Actually, there is a way to do this, and it involves no trickery at all. The downside is some of the components are way to pricey to make it practical unless you already have them handy

P.S. Yes, SEQ Newb here too, as well as linux but I got mine up and running in less than a day using RH8 and the various threads here.

"Take a look at the FAQ, there is a very good reason why you cant do this. In general, search before you post, this has been covered MANY times before.

--Jeeves"

First of all, don't listen to grumpy old men =)

It's pretty easy, if I remember right. Look at the man pages to make sure the syntax is right.

Load up x, bring up a command prompt, su to root.

type:

export DISPLAY=10.1.1.10:0.1

Where 10.1.1.10 is the IP address of your windows machine.

On your windows box, you need an X server (or is it client, blah) for windows such as http://www.startnet.com Simply install it with the default instructions and let it run as an icon in your system tray.

Run showeq as nowmal.

Watch the magic work!

Sure, you can export the display. But that isnt what was asked. You still need two machines, so the bar is the same. You can do the same thing with VNC, and a number of other display technologies. You will incur significant bandwidth loss, and a non-trivial performance loss on your EQ machine.

General life wisdom: Never take advice from a guy who calls himself splooge

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Ahh ok well 'technically' you're right, it's not running showeq and eq on the same computer. I (mis?)understood his question to be: "How can I get showeq and eq on the same monitor so I can just alt-tab between them, cause my server is in the garage" or something like that.

And yeah, never take advice from who calls himself splooge. Or High, for that matter!

Actually, I have noticed zero loss in performance with either showeq or eq. Maybe I am losing some performance but not so I can tell anyway.

What I would consider mediocre hardware too, winxp on an athlon 1ghz w/512MB and a GeForce4 64MB video. Linux box is a P2 450 w/256MB and an old diamond V550 vid card. Linux box is configured as a bridge between my Cisco 678 DSL router and my 2924XL 10/100 switch (ok, this piece is NOT mediocre *Grin*)

And yes, i'm exporting the display... But since I had the software handy from work, and I am short a monitor for the linux box *shrug* it was much cheaper for me to do it this way for now. It works, but is less than ideal simply because of the hassle of switching windows. Eventually will get a monitor for the linux box and stop doing it with an exported display. It was export or fool with the even bigger hassle of a kvm switch *Shudder*...

Software is Tera Term Pro (nice freeware console app) with the SSH extensions, SSH to the linux box (no export needed, supports X-11 redirect w/ssh). X-server software is Xwin32.

--Whitewolf
    Last edited by whitewolf3399; 10-14-2002 at 02:28 PM.

The big things will be the memory and vid card. A bad vid card will have problems displaying both EQ in a window, and the exported ShowEQ display. (the 10/100 Cisco doesnt hurt either ).

--Jeeves

Or a similar setup to mine.

EQ played on an Athlon 650 with a GeForce4 440MX, Two monitors

SEQ box buried somewhere far away in the house.

EQ displayed on one Monitor with EQW in full screen mode

SEQ displayed on second monitor with Exceed. I setup a custom login script, so that when I SSH into the SEQ box it automatically checks to see if I have an instance of icewm running. If not it exports the display to me and starts up icewm. From inside icewm I can do the rest and never have to remember to export I also don't have to leave the SSH connection open.

I play EQ now less than once a week for less than an hour (logon, be a gimp for a friend, logoff). He pays for the account, I just help him when he needs it (good to have SEQ to find him, his bodies, his buddies, etc...)

WineX works with EQ now, so you can run EQ in a Wine and have SEQ running at the same time.

True, but I wouldnt blow away my windows box, if I were you.. (some people on other threads have suggested it). Who knows when a patch might make WineX not run it correctly again (either on purpose, or by accident)...

--Jeeves

Thread Information