Thread: 4.3.1 key idea

4.3.1 key idea

It would be trivial to hack a telnet session to the windows box (using expect for example), which feeds the current offset to a key grabber there and returns the key. Call that every time SEQ detects a new zone and everything is happy... in theory

Any thoughts?

Or, even better, why not just have a client that runs in the background on the EQ machine. It would just watch the memory area where the key is stored, and any time it sees a change, it would fire off a packet with the new key to showEQ.

-wxh

Telnet session

It is easier just to open a raw socket.

Blebel

Been doing this for years (litteraly) running my bot

Think the idea is that some people don't want any extra programs running on the EQ machine (all the time) that could potentially be detected. For me I turned the keyreader into a CGI app and turned on IIS on my EQ machine then modified seq to run 'wget' to get key from EQ machine, then load the key automatically on each zone.

It's easier than all that to share a file on a windows machine with a Linux box: There's no need to use FTP or to install an NFS server on your windows box. SMB is well supported on both Windows and Linux:

1) Create a share on your windows machine, and run the sniffer from that shared directory.

2) Intall the samba-common package (sorry, I only use Redhat, if you need to, stfw on keywords 'samba' and 'mydistro').

3) Start the samba service '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start'

4) Run the following command:
    mount -t smbfs -o gid=<user>,uid=<user>,username=<user>/domain \\\\<machine>\\<share> <mount point>

5) Use the 'Decoder'->'Key Filename...' dialog, and enter <mount point>/keyfile.dat

Now when you zone, just hit the 'Decoder'->'Load Session Key' menu.

This approach does not address the issue of having to reload the key every time. It shouldn't be hard, tho, to tweak the code such that it remembers the modification date of that file, and on periodic scanning reloads the decoder key when that file modification date changes.

Thread Information