Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thread for those crashing using the V1 or V2 sniffers ...

I'm an idiot

Just wanted to post her and say that I decided to try a different compiler. So I downloaded LCC, compiled the sniffer.... and it works perfectly. This is on the exact same machine I was having the "crash to desktop on the first keyboard press" issues. So if you are stuck feel free to get LCC and take it for a spin.

Now if I had only not gone out and purchased VC++NET for $100...

Oh for the record - my machine is P4 1GHz, Windows XP Pro and originally compiled with VC++NET.
    Last edited by Flotsam; 12-05-2002 at 05:24 PM.

I will say this... Some of the crashes can be caused by items ...

I won an item last night, when I looted it it crashed SEQ... I was able to play any other toon on the account and when I went back to the toon with the item it crashed as soon and the zone finished loading...

Made no difference if the item was in my inventory or bank... still crashed. At some point I may say what the item was... but for now all I'll say is that it CAN happen... because as soon as I destroyed the item SEQ worked perfectly again afterwards......

Something to think on, and I hope it helps.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Alwayslost: I believe your message would belong in a different thread, and would be a rather important post with more information. This thread is for people having problems with the sniffer crashing EQ, Not SEQ. Now if there are specific items which cause SEQ to barf when it tries to decode, I think the devs would be intersted in what item that was.

Flotsam I had already tried the LCC version.. it doesn't crash EQ but does not do anything either. No UDP packets ever get sent.

I'm over dealine on a work project so don't have time right now to debug it, maybe in a month or two.

This is most frustrating.

dn

Problem and fix

Compiled on: (at work)
    Windows 2000 w/ SP2
    Visual Studio .NET w/ Visual C++ .NET
    eqsniffer Revision 2.05
    followed instructions to the "T"

Run on: (at home)
    Windows XP Pro

EQ crashes to desktop on first keypress

-------

I found this fix by foo mentioned here.

BTW, I may have hit on the problem with the program kicking out right at the EULA screen. When I compiled it the first time, the dll would load but kick me out everytime I select 'accept' on the EULA screen. I went back in and double checked all the compiler settings. Apparently, the Properties->Code Generation->Basic Runtime Check was set to Both instead of default. I changed it to default and recompiled and the program works. The previous dll was 54k in size, the working dll was 46k.
    I changed this, recompiled and it is now working as intended.

INDY

Changing the Code Generation->Basic Runtime Checks to Default also fixed my crash-on-keypress problems.

Edit -- Only a debug build is working, the release build is still crashing. /bog

WinXP SP1
    VS.NET
    eqsniffer 2.05
    Last edited by T.C. Jaguar; 12-06-2002 at 03:57 PM.

Yes!!

Dead on the money! I was having crash at first keypress problems when I first tried to compile the v2 2.05 code. Followed instructions explicitly to the letter. Just changed this option and recompiled and it works in a flash! Love it :] You guys are awsome (especially MaggotBoy who started this particluar piece of wizardy/voodoo code). Props to /ALL/ of you.

I haven't had a chance to test it for long duration play (6+ hours) yet, so not sure if it falls prey to any other bugs (bog down eq and eventually crash, etc) but I know this:

This fix in options for the project made it work, and right as it said - dll went from 53k to 45k.

Here's my system:

WinXP Pro (NO service pack)
    v2 sniffer code 2.05
    Visual Studio .NET w/ Visual C++ .NET, no service packs that I'm aware of.

With the 'both' option set below it crashed at first keypress.
    Setting it to 'default' gets it working for short term tests, long duration still a question.

-------
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW, I may have hit on the problem with the program kicking out right at the EULA screen. When I compiled it the first time, the dll would load but kick me out everytime I select 'accept' on the EULA screen. I went back in and double checked all the compiler settings. Apparently, the Properties->Code Generation->Basic Runtime Check was set to Both instead of default. I changed it to default and recompiled and the program works. The previous dll was 54k in size, the working dll was 46k.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I changed this, recompiled and it is now working as intended.

INDY
    -------

Yep that was it for me too. Seems that blank != default
    Thanks guys, you rock!

z

Originally posted by T.C. Jaguar
    Changing the Code Generation->Basic Runtime Checks to Default also fixed my crash-on-keypress problems.

Edit -- Only a debug build is working, the release build is still crashing. /bog

WinXP SP1
    VS.NET
    eqsniffer 2.05
    Just wanted to say this fixed it for me as well.

This solved the keypress/crash issue for me as well.

An LCC compiled version that worked for my friend on XP did not work for me on 98. No crash but no packets sent.

The VS.NET compiled version that did work with changing 'both' to 'default' works but has seemed to cause intermittent CTD.

The LCC version on XP seems to have no such problems.

Neither seem to unload. Once run, even if you run the removehook they stay resident and cause other errors. When you reboot it gives you a program not responding end task? dialog.

The VS.NET compiled version can be run once then you must reboot if you exit the game. If you just run it again it doesn't work.

dn

I've looked over this a few times, and believe there's an error in the V2.05 InjectCode function? If this is true, I don't know how the code is working so well, so apologies if I'm way out of line here.

As far as I can tell, the InjectCode function isn't taking into account the size of the INJECTSTRUCT structure properly. The 'inj' structure is copied into the space that's VirtualAlloc'd, but the alloc size doesn't include sizeof(inj). Then, the DLL code is copied into the alloc'd space, without apparently taking into account the 'inj' structure at the beginning of that same space (i.e. it appears to overwrite part of the structure, depending on the value of dwOffset) - the address being copied to should be offset by sizeof(inj). If those two things are changed, then it follows that the offset used for SetWindowsHookEx also needs to have sizeof(inj) added to it, along with a similar change to the VirtualProtect length parameter.

I've run the code both ways (i.e. original, and changed to take above into account), without any apparent difference. However, I wonder if this might be related to some of the problems that people have had?

Regards.
    Last edited by emmt33; 12-10-2002 at 09:28 AM.

Could you post the lines you changed?

dn

If the InjectStruct size is being ignored, it could potentially explain some things.

Most/All of the errors I've been able to reproduce (typically while trying to add additional functionality to the injected code) are C0000005 exceptions. C5 exceptions are "Illegal Access" -- ie. the program is attempting to read memory to which it does not have access. Interestingly enough, these exceptions often occur at declarations. This would be consistent if not enough space for one of the structures was allocated.

I'll look in to changing the allocated space to account for
    sizeof(inj) and see if it changes some of the errors I've been able to produce.

/cheer Mr Spock!

dn

I had the crashing on key press issue with WinXP SP1 and VS.NET NO SPs. I made the changes in the project to the default and since then have had no issues. Played 6 hours straight lastnight with no issues what so ever. Also i must have zoned at least 100+ times and never missed a beat.

Thread Information