Thread: Strange happenings with V2.05

Strange happenings with V2.05

I installed SEQ on a 2nd PC tonight and am looking to run two SEQ boxes when more than one player is playing at my house.

I ran into an interesting quirk with the V2.05 sniffer code (I think). I run the sniffer to send data to 192.168.1.222 (1st SEQ box) port 11111.

Now I run SEQ box 1 (the 222 box) looking at port 11111. It decodes fine.

I also have the 2nd SEQ box running at ip address 192.168.1.223 port 11111. Here's the weird thing. They BOTH decode (same port but DIFFERENT IPs).

I've determined that if I change the sniffer to send to port 11112, neither box decodes. Also, I tried sending to 192.168.1.5 port 11111 and neither box decodes (so it's not like SEQ is blasting it out to all addresses...) Anyway, has anyone run into something like this? Also, if I have SEQ1 looking at 11111 and SEQ2 looking at 11112, only SEQ1 decodes (not too surprising -- just trying to give all info that I know)

Also, I can ping 192.168.1.222 and 192.168.1.223, and both respond, so I don't think I have the IPs configured incorrectly. Both are browsing the web, etc. Network *appears* to be running correctly. Note, I do have a Linksys Router on the network (not between the EQ & SEQ boxes -- remember both SEQs are actually decoding).

P.S. -- I haven't tried actually running 2 EQ boxes sending to 2 different ports yet... My wife is playing Age of Mythology, and I can't get her to stop! Hehe.

UPDATE-edit: I tried it with the 2nd EQ box, and it works great! But I have to use 11111 & 11112 to seperate the boxes. As stated above, if I use 11111 for both, they both are getting decode UDP packets even though their addresses are .222 and .223
    Last edited by sauron; 12-09-2002 at 02:37 AM.

ShowEQ works on hubs because the network card picks up packets that do not belong to it. I assume that the network card being in promisc mode is the cause of your issue.

I noticed that also when I realized I had set my IP incorrectlly in the command line, But SEQ was still getting the UDP.

You must use different port numbers.
    SEQ is scanning all data going through the hub, regardless of IP. In fact, you can send the data to any ip you like (although sending it to one of SOE's IPs is obviously a bad idea) and seq will pick i tup.

Thread Information