Since this is a soapbox, I'm using it as such On a non game related topic, I'd like to see what ya'll think of Equilibrium if you've seen it.

Sadly, it's getting some poor reviews. IMHO, it's one of the best (if not the best) SF/Action movie I have seen all year, possibly in the past couple years.

With the huge derth of good Science Fiction and even Action movies over the last couple years, I was very suprised at and pleased with this movie. I'm not sure if it's released in all theaters around the US yet (or if it ever will be) as it was a "special engagement" LA/NY only kind of thing and a friend said I should go check it out (I had never heard of it). The movie stars Christian Bayle, Sean Bean and Taye Diggs.

Well, I arrived a couple minutes late and sat down to a dark and grainy looking picture of a guy (Christian Bayle) looking in the mirror and talking to his kid. I had a quick flashback to Gattica at that point and almost groaned.

The movie immediately picked up though and moved at a brisk pace as the storyline progressed. The first real memorable scene for me was the Gun Katta scene, when they are going through the motions. At the time, I didn't pay much attention to it, but it so seemlessly blended in with the later fight scenes, I really liked the effect it produced.

Before I get more into this, I'd like to hear others thoughts on it. I will say, though, that the "Oh shit" ending was absolutely kick ass and worth the price of admission alone. This was a pure action flic set in a SF setting and it delivered in spades. If you go expecting a deeper meaning, or what have you, you may be disappointed. I went without any expectations, however, and I was very pleased. The action was non-stop, but not over bearing and the store blended together fairly well. While there were a few minor nitpicks, I always expect them in SF stories, just because it's so hard to keep everything together.

Here's to hoping the Enders Game movie pans out as well or better.

A definite must see for any action/SF fans.