Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book to Big Screen - Who, what, where and Why!

a remake of starship troopers... thats faithful to the book, not completely fucked over by some liberal idiot.

directed by charolton heston, or someone else the understands the importance of weapons, and can fully express the meanings of the book.

who to play the characters?

Rico... the dipy kid they used in the mexican. he has that "im in the wrong place" look.

the rest dont matter... you almost never see them anyway.

oh... and show the god damn armor. its 90% of the friggen book.

The Shannara Series Love em.

Lord Foul's Bane

The Thomas Covenant series .. a hero that you just love to hate.

Snow Crash,
    and a Real well done version of Neuromancer and Count Zero,
    other then that a Epic Jacksonesk version of The Wheel of Time series,
    You have gotten bettter at sniffing packets! (255)

The Aprentice Adept series by PA. Primarily "Split Infinity".

Would like Lucas to direct, although it wouldn't matter as long as ILM did the special effects.

Toby McGuire could play the Blue Adept/Style since he's got that misleading, innocent appearance.

I truely would like to see a movie about Michael Moorcocks Saga
    Elric of Melniboné.

Warhammer 40000

Not so much a book, but I would love to see a movie based on the Warhammer 40000 universe.

Any other players out there?

Warhammer 40k

Yeah, I think that would be a cool idea. There is certainly enough material out there to grab a great story for a movie. Sadly though you'de probably end up with massive amounts of cheese and the movie would be geared at the kiddies, because of course the mass media would have you believe that kids are the only people who enjoy games like that. Adults are supposed to be working on their lawns or fixing their house or (better yet for them) watching TV in their leasure time.

Just be prepared for the cute little goblin comic-releaf character who can never shoot cuz his gun is jammed then he has to throw a rock but it bounces off something and comes back and hits him in the head, then he falls down and the gun goes off.
    AbaddonxXx

Book to Movie

I would like to see The Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield turned into a movie. The way he tells the story of the 200 Spartans at Thermopylae is very well done.

Xeo = Not Vin Diesel!
    Leonidas = Ed Harris - Ed is just cool
    Dienikes = Bruce Willis, George Cloony - because of their usal quiet but powerful nature
    Polynikes = The Rock w/ acting school
    Xerxes = Alan Rickman
    Alexandros = Brad Pitt with broken nose - pretty boy

It would be fun to have a tall gangly comic-relief Spartan who could never do anything right, and during one of the battles a Persian Torso got stuck on his leg holding a spear, and while trying to kick it off he unwittingly killed 7 or 8 persians and dismounted a few Persian Cavalry. They could give him a real cute accent, maybe like broken Jamaican.
    Last edited by scooby_x; 01-31-2003 at 12:40 PM.
    [insert random quote here to inspire the uninspired]

DUNE !

the books they have made movies out of have been good so far but they did it ass backwards, knida like startwars. but i like dune much more then startwars.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Wheel of Time

This would have to be a series thing though, like 24 or something. Also, they'd have to wait until he finally finishes the series (assuming #10 didn't, haven't read it yet).

Honor Harrington

The Honor Harrington books would be kinda neat seen on a big screen...

Sean Young as Honor Harrington? Some kinda badass CGI for Nimitz?
    Personally, I found the Honor Harrington books to be seriously rockin'. If you've not read them, and like any of the following:
    Star Trek
    W.E.B. Griffin Books
    Tom Clancy Books

You should check out the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.

Honor is a seriously competent starship commander.

Dune - The original movie had decent acting, but the deviation from the actual story line was unacceptable. The sci-fi mini-series, while not really deviating from the story line obscenely, had the budget of a high-school play ... and it showed in acting & props. An honest attempt at this would be nice.

Ender's Game - Gawd I hope they don't fuk this up. Such a good book. I hope they follow up with Ender's Shadow.

Here is a plug for my favorite non-mainstream sci-fi author ... Daniel Keys Moran. I'd LOVE to see Emerald Eyes & The Long Run put to the big screen. The Last Dancer might be a bit too long & complex, however (even if it does answer a lot of questions from EE & TLR). Armageddon Blues, a standalone work, might be a good sci-fi series if they budgeted it correctly, as well.
    Chutney. It's whats for dinner.

The books i would like to see made into a movie, would be the nightsdawn trilogy by peter hamilton.

book one starts with the Reality dysfunction. a technological society with colonists breaking into new worlds, comes across something which threatens everybodies lives.

a great selection of books. heres someones review form amazon:

These books (and I've read all that have been released) have captured my imagination like few others have. They are filled to the brim with techno-gadgets, high-tech ideas, and statements on the human condition. Fast-paced action and a storyline where you have to know what happens next. Science Fiction mixed with the frailty of our all-too-human lives, enemies that are multi-dimensional, not your typical "save the universe" space opera. All these things and more describe this insanely epic story!

take a look: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Wolfy
    ~~~~~~
    Master of moralistic messages (MoMM)

I'd love to see the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant done, but I don't think we have the ability to describe the other world in a movie. I mean "sound's have colors, smells have pitch and timbre". Even ILM can't pull that off yet.

Enders Game would be neat, but you do have all the kiddie violence.

My pick would be "The Ninja", by Eric Lustbader.

Thread Information