Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been banned for using ShowEQ since the "nerf"?

Wow you can crash a zone at will? Cool do tell!

jk =)

easy

line up 40-70 guild members outside of a zone, then ping pong in and out of it zoning at the same time a few rounds, POOF ...zone crash. Well that used to work, have not tried in awhile.

I personally dont care if they start banning peeps for useing sniffers. If they catch me useing SEQ then I am done with EQ. My 3 accounts are gone.

On the other hand for the most part I dont use SEQ to hunt the ever so rare NPC. For the most part I use SEQ to pull your normal everyday mobs.

So what if I look at what's in the memmory of my comp or what information is being sent to my computer.

I have a right to know what information is in my computer's memmory and what information is being sent to and from my PC.

I really hope Sony ban's me for using a memory sniffer I'd take em to court over it.

1. It's MY COMP not theirs
    2. IT"S MY MEMMORY not theirs

Youcan garuentee they see every bit of info that comes accross their Servers and Network

I don't have the same right? WHATEVER? bite me Sony ban me please so I can win a mluti-millon dollar lawsuit

Cybris,

You better come up with a nice explination for clicking that "Agree" button everytime you play EQ...

Originally posted by LordCrush
    Hmm Speed ...

this all has been discussed lengthy ... so please stop that global whining or tell us what options they have to detect the sniffers ... plz don't begin with virtual protect or the debug privs thingy ...
    There is a thread stickied in this forum started by Ratt regarding sniffers not being 100% safe - I thought we all accepted that?

I was responding to saurons' post saying that they wouldn't have to scan a process list, nor would it be illegal for them to try and detect reading of their own processes memory space if for some reason they decided they wanted to.

I really hope Sony ban's me for using a memory sniffer I'd take em to court over it.
    Someone needs a reality check!
    Last edited by speedphreak; 02-13-2003 at 05:17 AM.

Memory Scanning

Well,

Seems that they are already doing this for some of the other "cheats" for EQ.

http://forums.forever-hacking.net/

Check that link out. The offsets that they use on to modify the EQ client has been nerfed. It was done with memory scanns and checks. They actually worked around it by killing the scan, but it is there for the rest of us that don't use that stuff.

For us all that play EQ, they are already scanning parts of the memory that EQ uses.

So, for those that post stuff like this:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now is your chance.

Later

I browsed about on the forever-hacking.net forums and what they are doing is a clear violation - they are changing the packets being sent back to the server. While not merely stupid, this is obviously very traceable when your level 9 paladin warps from Butcherblock Mountains to Sleeper's Tomb and runs around at Bardwarp 9...

Sniffing packets being sent to your machine, reading memory locations on your machine - none of these violate any laws nor do they violate the EULA that SoE hopes will allow them free reign to do anything they wish without fear of recompense fromt their customer base. SEQ does not reverse engineer their code, nor does it modify their code. Only the stupid would get caught using it and even so, SoE would have one hell of a time trying to prove anything. Mass bannings are not plausible for them - SoE/EQ are based in the State of California where every lawyer drools over taking down a cash cow like them in a class action lawsuit - and the lawsuit would most definitely win on almost any grounds in that state.

This has all been covered time, and time, and time again in these forums. Keys to not getting caught using SEQ:

- Don't use any form of SEQ in your speech in any channel in-game.

- Don't go chasing after rare spawns the moment they spawn if you don't have Tracking and are not within acceptable Tracking range.

- Don't manuever around any dangerous encounter that you would have no realistic knowledge of (i.e. you can't see that a_paladin_killing_mob_01 around the corner, so don't give it a wide berth).

- Don't start talking in any channel about mobs that may or may not be up in any zone unless you can plausibly verify by LoS/Tracking that said mob is or isn't up.

- Don't give vital statistics in any channel for mobX that you could not possibly know (range/deity/level/etc).

Personally, I don't even mention Linux in game...

Iam_Walrus

I am in total agreement, that what the offsets do to the game puts all the users of them in violation of the agreement, and yes it has been covered again again and again on how not to get caught using showeq. And I also don't mention Linux in game.

On that note, I wasn't putting in that mem scan comment to not compair anything, conclude anything... ext.....

I was just stating what I have found, for those who would like to know what is going on when it comes to SOE scanning memory.

It was stated in other threads that SOE could put in a fake key in the mem offset that the key readers use to pull the decode string from. Knowing what they did to nerf the offsets for the hackers at forever-hacking may be helpful to someone here, or maybe not. So for those having issue with not being flaged for any type of cheat, then what happens when a key reader scans memory for the decode key and SOE catches that scan.

I would agree that mass bannings are not going to happen, but what happened to the users of foreverhacking was they just got booted to the server select screen up altering the memory, this could easily be done for just reading the decode key on our side of things. Once again, nerfing showeq. Since most of the code to support this is already in our existing exe's on our machines as of the last patch, it would not be hard for SOE to impliment next patch to make a bad situatioin even worse for showeq, with all of the users of keysniffers constantly dumping to server select screen after 3 mins of turning it on.

I am not complaining or anything, but SOE must have changed it pretty good to be able to kill showeq for this long. I do miss not having my fully populated map right next to me.

Just and fyi

csmith...

Is english your primary language?

What makes the difference?

But yes, it is... I am at work and trying to do to many things at once. Like always.
    Last edited by csmith12; 02-13-2003 at 02:20 PM.

Sniffing packets being sent to your machine, reading memory locations on your machine - none of these violate any laws nor do they violate the EULA that SoE hopes will allow them free reign to do anything they wish without fear of recompense fromt their customer base.
    Are you sure you read the EULA?

6. We may terminate this Agreement (including your Software license and your Account) immediately and without notice if you breach this Agreement or repeatedly infringe any third party intellectual property rights, or if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us, or upon gameplay, chat or any player activity whatsoever which is, in our sole discretion, inappropriate and/or in violation of the spirit of the Game as set forth in the player rules of conduct, which are posted at www.everquest.com.

Looking up the "rules of conduct" on the EQ web site I find:

11. You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running EverQuest.

When it comes down to it, Sony is allowing you to connect to their servers under some very specific conditions. If you don't like those conditions then the law gives you the right to choose not to connect to their servers.

Any lawsuit brought against Sony for banning people over using SEQ, Macroquest or even Magelo (if they felt particularly nasty) would be doomed to failure because Sony isn't *forcing* you to do anything.

The best case scenario would be a partial refund for the prepaid time which you couldn't use because of the banning - something that's going to be significantly less than it would cost you to bring suit against Sony.

9. You may not use any third party software to modify the Software to change Game play. You may not use our intellectual property rights contained in the Game or the Software to create or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, as through server emulators. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not sell or auction any EverQuest characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.

I believe this is section of the EULA most people feel SEQ, Memmory sniffers violate.

However it does not. Why? because it does not change their code which is their intellectual property in any way. It just veiws the information that they are sending to the PC.

Now Macroquest does however violate it. It changes the code of the game itself.

Any lawyer would have a hey day with this type of suit.

Oh BTW if their EULA happens to violate my constitutional rights. Then there EULA is void. it's an illegal contract. need to do more research on this point though...

I'm almost postive telling someone that they don't have a right to view information being sent to their PC violates a persons constitutional rights somewhere hence there is no mention of this in the EULA because Sony's lawyers know better.

but, like I said need to do further research on this point...

This has been argued over, and over, and over again... The bottom line is, they dont HAVE to take your money, and provide you a service.. If they choose to disconnect you, that is well within their rights.. EULA, or no EULA, they can disconnect you for any reason whatsoever...

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

EULA

When I posted the info about the forever-hacking neft, I didn't mean to start a EULA debate.

I was just trying to let everyone know, that there is a easy/possible nerf for the tracking and remedy the users of keysniffers. If they did it for memory offset changes (by SCANNING), they CAN do it for keysniffers (by SCANNING).

For those that are developing the keysniffers, It may be wise for you to try to talk with the guys over at forever-hacking to see how SOE implimented the memory scans to see if your keysniffers are at possible risk of currenly implimented code.

Hopefully I am not the only one putting two and two together from reading the foreve-hacking and showeq forums.

I will say again, they will most likely flag your account, and just boot you to the server select screen. NOT BAN YOUR ACCOUNT!
    This happens automatically, and is 100% implimented in our existing eqgame.exe file. How much do you think they will have to change to start looking more closely at the decription key offset? Remember that next patch or two when everyone starts posting; I keep getting booted to the server select screen when I start my keysniffer!!!!

And agreeing with the previous post, regaurdless if you are changing the client and/or packets or not, they CAN and WILL ban/suspend your account if you abuse any extra benifits, whatever they may be (offset, MQ, showeq, even a realtime logreader can get you banned/suspended and/or warned).

Thread Information