Thread: New SEQ / Redhat 7.2 Install .. Unknown Spawns Issue

Question New SEQ / Redhat 7.2 Install .. Unknown Spawns Issue

Ok guys, just wanted to get some quick ideas on how to solve my problem.

I havent run EQ or SEQ for about 6 months or longer. Just thought I would have a crack at the game again.

I dual booted my notebook with Redhat 7.2 and configured it to be my networks gateway (firewall, NAT etc.)

I then followed the INSTALL.newbies file within the SEQ cvs for the install.

Everything seemed to go OK. One thing I did notice though, was that towards the end of one of the steps (I think it was when I ran the 'configure' statement for seq) that it said something along the lines of 'this program was developed for QT3.x and higher'.
    I used qt2.3.4 as mentioned in the INSTALL.newbies file.

Apart from this, everything seemed to work OK. I started seq, it came up ok, no unexptected crashes etc.

I started EQ (after a shit-long patch) and then all I saw was unknown spawns.

I searched around and found out about the changes and the new requirement for the decoding key.

Even though Maggotboy's stealth key program looked to be the better one, I chose to use Keyring v2.2 as it came pre-compiled (I know i should have compiled my own, but after the time it took me to get this far I couldn't be bothered trying to dig around for a compiler).

I setup Keyring v2.2 as noted in the documentation, and kicked it off with port 12000. Subsequently I went into SEQ and changed the listening port to match.

Still had unknown spawns.

I tried to enter the decoder key manually, but still didnt get any further.

I checked my libEQ.a and it was the most recent.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am relatively new to Linux, so I may be doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

a few things. Read the Announcements forum as it contains needed information regarding QT and SEQ.

What version of SEQ do you currently have? SOE has been patching EQ and that has been breaking SEQ for the last week or two now.

What messages do you see on the console. You should see a message regarding "dispatching and decoding with key 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" or there abouts.

I feel his pain, cept I've learned from others ... I used the SEARCH button....

After whacking and recompiling SEQ with old QT2.x(still works.. for now), all I was geting was unknown data.. Hell I even redowned libeq and check the front page for the offset..... And still unknown data!! Verified keyring and ports on both ends....

<pauses>

<pauses>

Yeah, finally did a search, turned up the new offset posted under Sniffers

Guess ya can't trust the frontpage for *everything*

Hmm... thx for the feedback.

[Cryonic]

Thanks for your feedback, I re-read all of the Announcement posts and I beleive I have found the one you were referring to.

ShowEQ will now require Qt 3.0.5+ from this release forward.
    I will re-configure the application with QT version 3.x or higher.

In terms of the keycode, I beleive I have to correct key location, as it seems to discover a code that is meaningful.
    I have double-checked the key-code location with the Keyring website, as well as using the '-l' option to discover it. This part seems right at least.

[SlowNLazy]

I believe I have the offset and key etc. setup correctly, but as mentioned previously, updating to a later qt3.x version may be the fix.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has come across this issue.

PS: I am running the most current SEQ version available on CVS...

Ok, it seems that updating to QT3.x on redhat 7.2 is not as simple as I thought.

I have a feeling I am going to need to update to Redhat 8.0.

Before I go this far, can anyone tell me if they have actually got it working with Redhat 7.2 and qt2.x?

Originally posted by SlowNLazy
    [B]I feel his pain, cept I've learned from others ... I used the SEARCH button....

After whacking and recompiling SEQ with old QT2.x(still works.. for now)
    First off, I am NOT a linux god and tend to have to read alot of these messages to get things right... I can say this...

FOR NOW , ie with the current released version of SEQ on CVS(1/22/03), I can use a redhat 7, QT 2, keyring 2.2, latest Lib, and I do received all the info...

So it does work...

Well, I got this working on RH 7.2 with QT 3.0.5 compiled and working

I did have a couple of issues and I wouldn't call myself any kind of Linus guru either, but it wasn't impossible

Thread Information