Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the subject of flaming...

You guys are trying to justify being rude to people because you think it will make them better end users?

Give me a break. 99% of flamers flame because it gives them a sense of superiourity over noobs.

What I don't understand about the whole issue is that it takes just as long to post a flame saying "Use the search button you pos degenerate noob" as it does to either pass the post and not comment, or actually tell the person what they are looking for. I'm not talking about spoon feeding people, I'm against that myself, but treating others with respect has long been forgotten in our little corner of the world.

What I think it comes down to is Linux users have this vision of themselves being better than others just because they can use/install/compile/update/ customize their own kernal. It's not just on this message board, it's on any board that has anything to do with Linux usually. People think it's cool to blurt out "RTFM" or "use the search button"

If you have to flame people to make yourself feel good, it's time to get some help for that.

I agree with you Gfay. I am in the IT/Network/Helpdesk field. From 9-6pm it is my job to take the "I moved all my important documents into the recycle bin and emptied it. How do I get them back?" questions.

No one gets paid here. If someone offers a solution to a problem (that probably has been asked 100 times or more), good for them. If they get flamed to hell for not searching...too bad. Live and learn from it so it doenst happen again.

There is one way to get all the flaming to stop....just get rid of the boards. No message boards, no flames. It would also mean that people wouldnt have to use the search button and that would also mean that they would have to think of solutions themselves.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Wendel99,

Respect should go both ways. If somebody drops by and makes a "Where do I download SEQ" post, do they not disrespect other visitors by cluttering the boards (and the search engine) with repetitive posts? Not only that, but they completely ignore the instructions on the main page pointing them to FAQ, which is a slap in the face of all project members who put their time and effort into compiling it.

People who come to these boards should observe the etiquette of SEQ community. If they cannot or will not follow a few simple rules, why should the community have any respect for them?

As far as answering those posts with a meaningful reply, see my post above. "RTFM" or "Use search" is a meaningful reply, as it tell them the information is available but they need to put a little effort in getting to it.
    Last edited by fgay trader; 02-07-2003 at 12:47 PM.
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

i kind of like the new "flame away" forum. it's fun. maybe it will make the regular forums less flamey. we can always just ignore posts where the answer can be found with a simple search.
    BaeLang
    ---
    "seek and ye shall find." <-- god's way of saying use the damn search button. (or grep)

Gfay Trader:

I agree that people should read the FAQ and use the search button.

But I also think that people jump all over people way to quickly to tell them "RTFM" or "use search next time dumbass".

We happen to be lucky that we have been around computers and networks and Linux for a very long time(my first computer ever was a Vic 20!). Does that mean I'm better than someone that just started using computers? I don't think so. Does that give me the right to flame and degrade them when they ask a stupid question or a question that can easily be answered by search? No.

I think it's okay to tell people to read the FAQ or the manual, or even use the search, but the tone in which many people say it reminds me an awful lot of Nick Burns!

It doesn't matter though. There is always going to be people that live to flame.

We are not asking that they be 20 years older. We are requiring that they be 20 points higher on the IQ scale. It doesn't take experience on a PDP to figure out how to read a freaking FAQ.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

Thread Information