Thread: SEQ Forums

Red face SEQ Forums

I've been reading these forums for quite a while now, not really actively posting, but reading non-the-less.

Forums like these are built by a community of people sharing the same interests, helping each other, working together to make the forums, and the project they are related to, work good.

The sad thing is, is that there are several different types of posters:

1) newbie posters
    2) advanced users
    3) readers

what i am generally seeing, is that poster 1 makes a post, poster 2 flames it, poster 3 gets annoyed.

This isn't a community, it's a slagging match.

I ran a UK ISP community with a customer base of 7.5 million, with over 10,000 registered users on their vBulletin forums, and over 3000 posts a day, spread over 90 different categories. I ran these forums with a bunch of 12 moderators who watched their own forums for flames, abuse, and idiots. The system worked very very well.

The more advanced users of my forums went out of their way to help users out, they created FAQs to point people in the right direction, which we changed to sticky posts, they answered people with standard replies, and the system worked great.

what they did not do, was attack every single new user who didn't use the search option first, they didn't attack them, they didn't abuse them, they didn't make them look like idiots.

they had learnt long ago, that it was quicker for them to do a search, cut-n-paste the link, and move on to another posting, than it was to repeatedly shout at the new users "USE THE F*cking search".

it's the advanced users who should be the ones that are educated to know when to ignore a post, when to reply to it. They should also be working to make these forums a better place, rather than one filled with arseholes.

if poster type one makes a post that has been made 50 times before, let them, don't reply to it if you dont want to, let other new users help them out. Save your time replying to things more worth your precious time. if no-one replies, it will just drop away into oblivion, end of story.

Think on it, and make these forums a better place, not a pre-school hangout.

Let me take a wild guess.. Your community did not mostly consist of Linux/unix users did it?

The linux/unix people are the worst people EVER to be like this.. think it is some kind of status to be the best flamer or sumtin..

This has been discussed in lenght in different posts already. Please use the search feature to find them.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

What you say would make sense if they wanted all the losers and lamers to use SEQ, providing endless AC rings for MQ and the like. However this isn't the goal and as such, noobs will be flamed if they are too retarded to search for the answers that have already been posted a million times.

These are the same people who continually /ooc asking for where stuff is rather than just getting a half decent map and finding it themselves. How many times a day do we hear in PoK "Is there a bank here?". Next thing you'll try to suggest that people who buy SEQ boxes from PlayerAuctions shouldn't be flamed for just being general idiots...

I don't know why people complain that these forums are such a bad place... I've only found them to be extremely helpful -- the people who regularly post here are insightful and quite interesting for the most part.

If you find people being unfriendly to you here, I would submit that it is of your own doing.

Originally posted by uncleubb
    I don't know why people complain that these forums are such a bad place... I've only found them to be extremely helpful -- the people who regularly post here are insightful and quite interesting for the most part.

If you find people being unfriendly to you here, I would submit that it is of your own doing.
    yes, they are very helpfull, but a few people drag it down.
    just look above to see some of the sad attempts of flaming this post. No real thought has gone into their posts, just blatant non-thinking attacks..

just like school kids infact.....
    Wolfy
    ~~~~~~
    Master of moralistic messages (MoMM)

Originally posted by wolfy

yes, they are very helpfull, but a few people drag it down.
    just look above to see some of the sad attempts of flaming this post. No real thought has gone into their posts, just blatant non-thinking attacks..

just like school kids infact.....
    and its apparent you lack the ability to do anything but the same with your childish retort.
    casey AT trifocus DOT net

aaearon
    voted 1

Thread Information