Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEQ getting data but not operating

Question SEQ getting data but not operating

I have had SEQ working on the same PC in the past.. It's a RH7.2 box, libEQ.a is correct with matching md5sum from the top of the page.

I launch EQ and SEQ, SEQ detects the client by IP address. Game loads fine, but SEQ turns on me. The terminal window becomes gibberish and scrolls random-appearing gibberish-text. Occasionally it goes back to English, but it will go back to gibberish within minutes. One time before it became gibberish I caught a few lines that said "Error: Expected 32450, but got 44 instead" or something similar, with varying numbers.

My setup is: Linux box connected via dialup, with ipchains and MASQ setup. I have tried both a direct connection to my Windows PC, and also a hub, which is the setup that had worked for me in the past.

Has anyone seen this problem, or have a possible fix?

Thank you in advance.

Yes. It's definitely a problem with your network setup. You will need to disconnect all the wires going to and from your Hub, computers and TV sets. Then format your ShowEQ PC, your Windows PC and your neighbor's PC and install Windows 3.11.

Or you could read these boards a little before posting things that have been answered a million times instead of expecting others to spoon-feed you.

P.S. When does a thread qualify for RRRR? When a stupid question is posted, or the first flame?
    Last edited by fgay trader; 02-12-2003 at 01:14 PM.
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

I read these boards daily, and I have never seen something similar to this on them! I will search deeper.

So your daily visits to these boards have not led you to realization that SEQ is not working at the moment? Tons of other posts that basically repeat what you're experiencing over and over didn't give you a clue?
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

I have read posts that had better information on the state of SEQ on the Key Sniffer page. The gaggle of noobs not knowing how to post a coherent question and word it correctly so that others in need of help can browse the specific thread without wasting valuable time searching EVERY thread for a glimmer of hope while at work with an evil bossman looking over your shoulder every 5 minutes.

I understand this board gets flooded with tards, sorry if I came off like one. I check the boards daily for info to help, but the threads I have read don't have good info.

so SEQ is broken at the moment. Got that now. Why bother having a current libEQ.a file then? Why not replace that with a msg that says SEQ=Broke?

Because the current libEQ.a is the latest version of the file, whether SEQ is working or not has nothing to do with it.

Please set your Language locale to English instead of ImALegHumpingRetardThatCantRead

I read these boards daily, and I have never seen something similar to this on them! I will search deeper.
    Remarkable, just fucking remarkable
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

Originally posted by who_me_use_seq

Remarkable, just fucking remarkable
    i think when he said everyday, he meant everyday since this morning, and he is confident that nothing good ever comes out of pages greater than 1 or the search button.

im in favor of him reading the Lurk-HOWTO, and then lurking for a long while.

pfft. perfectly reasonable question.
    give the goat a break aye?

Reasonable?

A perfectly reasonable question?

His subject line says it all.

Lets see, it worked last time I tried it, it doesn't work now. Hum...i've not done anything to my box recently...and HEY THERE'S BEEN A PATCH...hum...wonder if that could have borked something....

Lets check the "announcements" section...hum, last date on announcements says <Some fucking date weeks before today> hum, nothing showing a fix...course, nothing saying it's broken either....lets look at some other threads.

General Forum: Oh look, a post entitled "Broken or Not" and in there it says "If the announcements section doesn't say it's fixed since january then it's broken"...wow, must be broken, ok, no need to make myself look like an ass.

How does anyone fail to follow the above logic? Unless they arn't intending to think...in which case they should have read the board FAQ.

FYI (it's been posted before) this board is different from other message boards. Today, message board protocol is "post your stupid ass question and get an answer posted for the umteengillionth time by the guy who's sitting at his computer with a gun ready to blow his head off the next time he sees "Does a T-Staff parse better than Caen's?"" This board is different, as it basically says in the FAQ you are expected to think. You are expected to go through a process of understanding what is going on prior to posting. Basically, you are required to attempt to find an answer yourself and to use a small amount of your mental ability to follow a reasonable progression of debugging a problem yourself before asking for help.

If you're at work and a problem arises, you are expected to look at the problem, diagnose what that problem is, diagnose if it is in your realm of ability to attempt to fix the problem, then take corrective action (either going to your boss with the problem or atempting to fix it yourself.) It doesn't matter what the job is (from a Micky D's worker to a brain surgeon/rocket scientist) this is the STANDARD way of working, it is what everyone does on a daily and hourly basis...you don't have to be a tech, you don't have to be a programmer, this is how the world and dare say it human beings in general work. WTF all of a sudden then is it acceptable to anyone to do otherwise on a public forum?

If you were to walk into your bosses office and say "My computer is locked up on me, what do I do?" expecting the answer "Reboot it" more than two times I gaurentee to you that your bloody job would no longer exist inside of a month. Why is it so different here?

Follow these steps, answer these questions and don't get flamed:
    1) Did showeq work ANYTIME in the past for me.
    2) Does Show EQ do what i'm used to it doing now?
    3) Have I recently updated my Show EQ for any reason...has it worked since i've done that?
    4) If I havn't updated it recently, maybe I should try that.
    5) Go to step 2.
    6) If it hasn't worked since the last update has there been a patch that downloaded a new version of any major EQ files (executables, dlls, etc...not just zones or ui files)...
    7) Check the SEQ boards, look under announcements and see what the last date that it worked was. (it'll be the thread that reads "CVS Update <Date>" read it and find out if it fixed a problem.
    8) Look for posts in General Discussion, Development, Help, and Sniffer threads about SEQ being broken.
    9) Search for "Show EQ" and "Broken"...see if any threads are retrieved with reasonably recent dates.

Once you get through all of this and you still can't figure out if Show EQ is borked or not, post a thread in the following format to the helpdesk forum.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Title: Sorry to ask, i've checked but is SEQ broken?
    Content: Hi all, i'm really sorry to ask as I know this is a hot topic, but SEQ isn't working on my box so i'm assuming SEQ is broken as i've not done anything to cause it to be broke that I know of. I know SOE patched EQ recently, and have searched on keywords <x> and <y> and <z> but couldn't find a message stating that SEQ is broken or whether I did something to hose myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, flames acceptd also if i've been too stupid to search correctly.

--<name>
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Oh, and BTW this board will make sure you feel like an ass if you post the honest to god words "keywords <x> and <y> and <z>."

Rule of thumb. If it worked before and it doesn't work now. And you didn't do anything significant to break it, then SOE Borked it and the dev's are fixing it. Do what the rest of us do and wait for an announcement to pop up in the announcements section stating that SEQ is fixed.

--Raistlin
    - Raistlin

Dude, is it possible to convey your ideas in 500 words or less? Especially since this is RRRRRR, it's not like we're in a philosophical discussion...

tl;dr ?

Talking

Originally posted by mirage
    Please set your Language locale to English instead of ImALegHumpingRetardThatCantRead
    I move that we add this insightful tech support solution to the SEQ FAQ...

Originally posted by SlowNLazy

I move that we add this insightful tech support solution to the SEQ FAQ...
    Heck, lets add this line to EVERY FAQ ever written. Too nice.

Thread Information